Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

After doing much searching, I find that the idler pulley was not installed on the 2020 RT Spyders. I guess that there was enough complaint about the very common vibration problem, that BRP saw that one was needed. So, on the 2021 models, they installed one. Their parts catalog shows one listed for the 2021 models. It is part number 705503291 and costs $48.99. https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...p/sales/parts/ It appears to have the smaller pulley on it which other posts indicate that it may fail too soon. The lamonster garage version has a larger, improved pulley which would seem to be a better part to have.

Spyder Garage

Friend purchased a 2021 RT Limited Dark. Build date was late Feb of 2021. It has a factory installed oem belt vibration damper.

Spyder Garage

Default Idler/Damper Stock for 2021 Spyder RT Limited

I just picked up my new 2021 Spyder RT Limited on July 30,2021. It came with the belt vibration damper/tensioner installed. I don't see any reason to suspect that the dealer installed it; must be the factory's doing. Nice to see that BRP spent the time and money to improve their product.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited , Petrol (100LL if you're a pilot)

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RT-L came with a belt idler, and the 20/21 workshop manual shows one in situ whenever they show a diagram of the left side behind the cover. Makes you wonder if one came with the ‘20 models, pre dealer assembly, but some dealers couldn’t be bothered putting it on, along with neglecting to bolt on the ACS sensor rod, checking tyre pressures etc.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it is installed or not on my bike. but at 95 mph there is zero vibration.

2021 RTL Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    My 2021 RT-L came with a belt idler, and the 20/21 workshop manual shows one in situ whenever they show a diagram of the left side behind the cover. Makes you wonder if one came with the ‘20 models, pre dealer assembly, but some dealers couldn’t be bothered putting it on, along with neglecting to bolt on the ACS sensor rod, checking tyre pressures etc.

Pete
    The 1st edition idlers proved to not last very long so a decision was made to leave them off. BRP must have went with a better bearing on the newer ones.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    The 1st edition idlers proved to not last very long so a decision was made to leave them off. BRP must have went with a better bearing on the newer ones.
    Ahhhhhhhh. Makes sense…..thanks K80

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Jim View Post
    I see that the RT idler pulley service kit, 219800419, only fits the 2014 to 2019 models. Did BRP change something on the new models or is there an idler that comes stock on them? I didn't lay on the show room floor and look at the belt when I ordered my bike. Thanks for any info.
    On the 21's, it seems to be hit and miss. I picked mine up recently and asked the dealer if there was one on it. He said there wasnt. So I ordered one from Spyder Extras. When I took the bike apart to mount, I saw it had a belt tensioner. *%&*&^^!! Oh Well, I uninstalled it and installed the Spyder Extras one since I had it apart. So, I do have a late 21 factory tensioner for sale .
    It's an easy install.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Just purchased a 2021 RT Limited and have only put about 1,500 Kms on it so far. I think I'm experiencing the harmonic vibration you guys are referring to. For example, at 115 KPH (70 MPH), I will get a shudder/vibration for about 15 seconds, followed by about 10 seconds of perfectly smooth riding, and then this cycle repeats. The duration and intensity of these cycles change a bit depending on speed, but is experienced all the way from 105 to 120 KPH ( or about 60 to 75 MPH). Am I correct in assuming that this is the RT's drive belts annoying characteristic?

So, from all my reading here, I thought this should be a simple fix by installing a belt top tensioner. But, had a llook underneath and my unit already has the factory tensioner. So ... now what?

By the way, I just had the RT over to the dealer for a minor warranty issue, so had them recheck the belt tension and alignment. They stated that the belt was still on spec.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourmaster View Post
    Just purchased a 2021 RT Limited and have only put about 1,500 Kms on it so far. I think I'm experiencing the harmonic vibration you guys are referring to. For example, at 115 KPH (70 MPH), I will get a shudder/vibration for about 15 seconds, followed by about 10 seconds of perfectly smooth riding, and then this cycle repeats. The duration and intensity of these cycles change a bit depending on speed, but is experienced all the way from 105 to 120 KPH ( or about 60 to 75 MPH). Am I correct in assuming that this is the RT's drive belts annoying characteristic?

So, from all my reading here, I thought this should be a simple fix by installing a belt top tensioner. But, had a llook underneath and my unit already has the factory tensioner. So ... now what?

By the way, I just had the RT over to the dealer for a minor warranty issue, so had them recheck the belt tension and alignment. They stated that the belt was still on spec.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    My wife and I have a 2017 RTL (no idler pulley) and a 2021 RTL (with factory installed idler pulley). I barely notice any belt harmonics on our 2021 but maybe that because it's extremely noticeable on the 2017. BRP nor most after-market manufactures don't advertise that the idler pulley will remove all belt harmonics only that it reduces pulley reduces vibration in the belt. I've never really heard anyone mention the harmonics go in cycle and for my RTL the belt causes the same sound consistently when I'm at a consistent speed. I'll be curious as others comment if they experience this cycling through the harmonics as you describe it. I will say I did have an annoying vibration/sound when I put new tires on my 2017 Spyder last Fall (Kenda Kanine KR20) but after putting 1000 to 2000 miles the tread that particular sound went away. If your dealer is saying everything is fine it may just need to be something you get used to.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

As others said it is very easy to look if you are comfortable getting down low with a flashlight. I can confirm my 2021 S2S does have the vibration dampener and the S2S is a Jan 2021 build date.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eschmid2 View Post
    As others said it is very easy to look if you are comfortable getting down low with a flashlight. I can confirm my 2021 S2S does have the vibration dampener and the S2S is a Jan 2021 build date.
    Yep, did the floor crawl to verify the presence of my BRP tensioner/damper. So, it would be interesting if anyone else has experienced the smooth to shudder/vibration type cycling that I've noted above. If everyone elses belt harmonic issue is a constant vibration at the noted cruising speeds, then perhaps my issue is something else.

Spyder Garage

I picked up my 2021 Spyder RT Limited on July 30, 2021, in Issaquah, WA. It had the idler installed when I got it. Can't say who installed it, but I'm guessing it came that way from the factory. If the dealer had installed it, I think he would have touted it as a freebie.

So far, I'm happy with the Spyder. This is my eighth motorcycle, and the first with three wheels. No gripes at this point. I'm going to add one of those rock shields on the right side of the drive belt, and I'm considering putting in a stiffer anti-sway bar. I wish the Bluetooth interface supported Android Auto instead of the BRP Connect suite of apps.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited , Petrol (100LL if you're a pilot)