Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Monk, are you happy with the "belt tensioner? Could you please tell me what the tensioner's supposed to do, and does it? Is it worth the time and expense?

Spyder Garage

Jetfixer, are you happy with the "belt tensioner? Could you please tell me what the tensioner's supposed to do, and does it? Is it worth the time and expense?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    It's not difficult to install, just time consuming getting the panels removed. If, and that's a big if, you have a belt vibration, at usually around 70-75 MPH, you would benefit from the belt idler. Not all Spyders develop this vibration for some reason. You'll know you need it if at say, 73 mph you get a strong vibration but it goes away at 76 mph or higher, or 70 mph and slower. A belt idler rides on the top, smooth surface of the belt and is spring loaded. That allows it to absorb the bouncing of the belt at certain speeds that you feel as vibration. If your bike doesn't give you that vibration, or if you don't spend a lot of time at highway speeds, you really wouldn't benefit from installing an idler.
    Very informative. I do spend some time on interstates out of necessity 75-80. With 700 miles so far I'll have to notice specifically next time I'm out. With a new machine it is hard to know what is normal or not.

My dealer suggests that if I add the idler when they add the updated pulley then I wouldn't know which one helped. Does it matter, since they are adding the pulley makes sense to add the idler at same time, otherwise if they do it later it will be costly labor. We'll see. Interesting that some folks here believe their idler is coming from factory on '21s. So there must be a reason. Would be nice for clarification from BRP that we can show the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 99flyboy View Post
    Monk, are you happy with the "belt tensioner? Could you please tell me what the tensioner's supposed to do, and does it? Is it worth the time and expense?
    If you read jetfixer's post he makes it pretty clear what it does and the problem it solves.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 99flyboy View Post
    Hi K80, I have a 2020 RTL and wanted to get your opinion on the Lamonster "idler pulley kit", I'm unable to find the pros and cons of this item? Does it do the job, and what is that job? Is it worth the time and money?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Ron
    The Idler Pulley Kit is just the part to upgrade your existing idler/tensioner pulley if you have one. Both the roller and the bearing is bigger than the oem, no problem to install. If you do not have a belt tensioner already you'll need the complete unit.

Some people say that it will quieten the whine down a little and also if you have any belt vibration it will take care of that. For me it did nothing for the noise but I was able to virtually eliminate it by adjusting the belt alignment, what's left I can live with but the dealer is getting me a new style replacement front pulley.

Is it worth the cost.... I think so.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Some people say that it will quieten the whine down a little and also if you have any belt vibration it will take care of that. For me it did nothing for the noise but I was able to virtually eliminate it by adjusting the belt alignment, what's left I can live with but the dealer is getting me a new style replacement front pulley.
    First I've heard of belt alignment. How did you check and adjust it? If belt is fully seated in each pulley isn't that perfect alignment?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    First I've heard of belt alignment. How did you check and adjust it? If belt is fully seated in each pulley isn't that perfect alignment?
    Visually look to see if the belt is running against the pulley flange, if it is then it needs to be adjusted. Mine was off when I 1st got it and after talking with the dealer repair shop I found that I had rather do it myself as the shop help seemed lacking to me. (I did by the way run a repair shop myself for close to 30 years, just not for bikes.)

In my 2020 Owners Manual it's on page 121 so the 2021 should be the same or close. Also if you just had the front sprocket replaced then they should have got it right then.

There are several threads on here about it just do a search on belt adjustment. It took several tries for me to get it right. I finally got the belt where I wanted it then lowered the machine to the ground then tightened the bolt to the required specs. Before I did it this way the belt always moved back against the flange when I tightened the bolt. Also when you look at it make sure that you had just went in a straight line before shutting it down. If you had just made a turn or something you will get a false reading as the belt does move in and out when doing so.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I just picked my 2021 RT Ltd up yesterday and it came with a belt idler, build date of Feb. 2021

Spyder Garage

Good to hear. My dealer putting on updated front sprocket on my early '21 RT this week and I'm having the belt idler installed same time. My build date was June '20.

Spyder Garage

Watched Shawn Smoaks video today and he stated that all the limiteds have had the idler pulley. He said that they haven't checked the standards to see if they have it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdawg View Post
    Watched Shawn Smoaks video today and he stated that all the limiteds have had the idler pulley. He said that they haven't checked the standards to see if they have it.
    That video was interesting. Seems I heard that maybe the later '21 standards were coming with the idler but no confirmation on that. If its needed on the limiteds seems it's needed on all of them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdawg View Post
    It also shows that the idler is mounted in a different spot than before. It's now mounted further back and on top of the floorboard mount.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

According to Shawn Smoaks last video ALL the 2021 RTLs he has looked at has the New idler installed from the factory.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Just pickedup 2021 RT limited dark and mine doesn't have one, and no vibration to 70mph. Might have to rebalance the front tires cause I get a little there but it may be the spring roads.

Spyder Garage

I just realized I had already responded to this.
    2021 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition has the belt tensioner. I'd say it came from BRP ,because my dealership would have listed it as an extra charge item.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Jim View Post
    I see that the RT idler pulley service kit, 219800419, only fits the 2014 to 2019 models. Did BRP change something on the new models or is there an idler that comes stock on them? I didn't lay on the show room floor and look at the belt when I ordered my bike. Thanks for any info.
    Jim, I am picking my 2021 RTL up today, it has one from the factory. BTW I grew up in Robert's County (Peever SD).Harmonic dampener.jpg
    2021 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Namrajf View Post
    Jim, I am picking my 2021 RTL up today, it has one from the factory. BTW I grew up in Robert's County (Peever SD).Harmonic dampener.jpg
    I was going to share a similar image but you beat me too it. My understanding is all 2021 RTL built in January 2021 or later have the belt tensioner/idler arm. I haven't confirmed whether my RTL has the "white quiet pulley" in front. Smoaks goes over this about 2 minutes into the video.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT Limited and the belt tension pulley is there. I wasn't charged anything for it at the dealer so I am assuming it was a factory install.

Spyder Garage

The craziest thing about this thread (does my 2020-2021 have a factory idler pulley is WHY can’t someone get an reply from Can Am �� Of all the different brands of motorcycles I have owned over the past 60 years it seems Can Am is unapproachable for not only this question but any questions and or support. ��
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Out the door out of mind in many cases, some exceptions I suppose. Fortunately this forum has helped educate me so that I can educate the dealer and techs. Dealer seemed to know nothing about the updated "white" front pulley, mirror fix and idler on my early '21 until I took the info from this forum to them. All of this except the Lamonster idler was done under warranty, only after I presented the information. Clearly a disconnect of information between dealer, BRP and customer. But they aren't in the education business.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Namrajf View Post
    Fun riding around the hills above Peever. Very pretty country. GO SOUTH DAKOTA

Spyder Garage

when I bought my new 2020 RTL I did notice the vibration around 75 MPH. So I installed Lamonsters part and when installing it I did notice the belt tension was way higher than on my 2012 I had. Sorry I didn't get the cricket to measure it. I installed the part anyways and haven't noticed any vibration yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kamper View Post
    Just pickedup 2021 RT limited dark and mine doesn't have one, and no vibration to 70mph. Might have to rebalance the front tires cause I get a little there but it may be the spring roads.
    If you didn't exceed 70 mph you didn't reach the speed range where it "normally" occurs. For most it's around 73-76 mph.

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RTL from iMotorsports has one. On the top run.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c