Spyder Garage

Default Any advice for amp and speaker upgrades on my 2020 RT Ltd?

I'd like some advice for amp and speaker upgrades for my 2020 Spyder RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

May I ask why? The stock speakers on my 21 blow me out of the saddle even at 60mph. Can't imagine anything louder.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    May I ask why? The stock speakers on my 21 blow me out of the saddle even at 60mph. Can't imagine anything louder.
    I was thinking the same thing. I turn mine up about half way and the guy riding behind me on a vmax sings along.
    Sounds like some settings are off, also ,ake sure your phone it is linked to has the "media Volume" turned up all the way. It might give you a warning that loud volume can damage your ears, but that is for headphones. Agree to it and turn it up to max.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    My speakers don't seem to have much bass response even though bass is turned up about 3/4. Also the clarity isn't very good at higher volume needed for highway speeds.

Spyder Garage

I just got a 2019 RTL this weekend. I was just using the FM radio and found that the speakers were not as clear (and pleasant sounding) as they were on the Sea to Sky that I test drove. It got loud, but still sounded like mediocre speakers.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyuberalles View Post
    I just got a 2019 RTL this weekend. I was just using the FM radio and found that the speakers were not as clear (and pleasant sounding) as they were on the Sea to Sky that I test drove. It got loud, but still sounded like mediocre speakers.
    I have not heard that the speakers are different .... a VERY common problem with BRP products is the OVER-USE of Lok-tite .... Use a 7mm socket and re-move antennae and clean the threads in-side and outside. also check the Ground wire connection ( to frame also ) ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERJERRY1 View Post
    My speakers don't seem to have much bass response even though bass is turned up about 3/4. Also the clarity isn't very good at higher volume needed for highway speeds.
    " BASE " is relative to the Size of the CONE ( ie. speaker ) ..... anything less than 8 inches will produce little BASE sound ..... jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RTL and a 2020 RTL, the 4 speakers on the 2015 sound horrible compared to the 6 speaker system on the 2020. 2015 "0" base, turn it up and it just made the sound mush mouth sounding. 2020 turn up the base and it is still clear and adds a little thump to it. As Mike said, you are not going to get a huge amount of thump with too small of a speaker, but the 2020 does pretty good. Adjust the fade a little to the rear and it sounds great.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have a 2015 RTL and a 2020 RTL, the 4 speakers on the 2015 sound horrible compared to the 6 speaker system on the 2020. 2015 "0" base, turn it up and it just made the sound mush mouth sounding. 2020 turn up the base and it is still clear and adds a little thump to it. As Mike said, you are not going to get a huge amount of thump with too small of a speaker, but the 2020 does pretty good. Adjust the fade a little to the rear and it sounds great.
    " F C D " , I had the same issue with my 2014 RT.... I swapped them With JBL's ( and increased rear to 5.25 ) .... sounds incredible now even at 80 mph I still don't use at 100 % volume...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2021 at 10:36 PM. Reason: 2014 instead of 24! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I totally agree. The speakers seem to be low quality. There are much better speakers available for most motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " F C D " , I had the same issue with my 24 RT.... I swapped them With JBL's ( and increased rear to 5.25 ) .... sounds incredible now even at 80 mph I still don't use at 100 % volume...... Mike
    Did you mean your 20 RT? Sorry I am just very curious. I have a 2020 RT. I really want to replace the audio. What speakers did you get? Did you add a Amp? If so what Amp? Thank you so much for your help?

2020 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlaw View Post
    Did you mean your 20 RT? Sorry I am just very curious. I have a 2020 RT. I really want to replace the audio. What speakers did you get? Did you add a Amp? If so what Amp? Thank you so much for your help?
    sorry for the typo .... I have a 14 RT ..... The JBL's I have arn't made anymore , they were 2 ohm models .... when I did the swap I got a lot of pushback from some ( alleged Experts ) who said I'll probably Fry them at some point .... well 50,000 mi and many years of use and they still work fine ..... In 2018 BRP changed the audio to a different type of system .... and a few folks tried the speaker swap like I did .... they said it didn't work .... which I find confusing, I can't think of why this wouldn't be possible ... but I wasn't going to buy an 18 RT just to test it out ..... I didn't add an AMP, for me the speaker swap worked, on a MTC. there are Limits to what is achievable sound wise .... good luck .... Mike ......... PS the 14 is my last Spyder, I don't think BRP really improved them after 2017 ....

Spyder Garage

Have you tried foam ear plugs? I wear them to protect (what's left after Navy service) my hearing. They block much of the road noise, and let me hear the music still.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I totally agree. The speakers seem to be low quality. There are much better speakers available for most motorcycles.
    I agree. "loud" does not mean "tonal" quality. I need better speakers. I took off top case. I only have the cheap dash speakers. I guess I'm gonna have to go to a stereo shop for advice on speakers. I was hoping for some advice on here from somebody who has upgraded their speakers.

Spyder Garage

I agree. "loud" does not mean "tonal" quality. I need better speakers. I took off top case. I only have the cheap dash speakers. I guess I'm gonna have to go to a stereo shop for advice on speakers. I was hoping for some advice on here from somebody who has upgraded their speakers.
    I have a sea to sky and I am wanting to upgrade to a better speaker.
    Did you ever find a solution to the speaker / sound system issue?
    Thanks in advance
    Bill
    My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.

21 Sea To Sky

2 & 3 wheels

Caged

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BionicChewbacca View Post
    I have a sea to sky and I am wanting to upgrade to a better speaker.
    Did you ever find a solution to the speaker / sound system issue?
    Thanks in advance
    Bill
    The ONLY person on this forum who has successfully fixed the stereo system on the 18 and newer Spyders is " Joel The Biker " ...... look up His post on this subject .... Mike

Spyder Garage

BionicChewbacca
    No sir, I haven't researched upgrade for speakers yet. I'm still debating whether or not to keep it. I CANNOT STAND BRP Connect! I bought my 2020 Spyder RT Limited used from a Harley dealer. It only had 2600 miles on it and had every upgrade people recommend on here, windshield, tires, shocks, stabilizer bar, extended handlebars etc. The guy was very well off financially and traded Harleys all the time. Salesman told me the fellow bought the Spyder on a whim out of curiosity. He didn't like 3 wheels, so he bought another Harley. I've got 7,100 miles on it now. BUT! I HATE BRP CONNECT AND THE CHEAP SPEAKERS. I've got leg and balance problems. But I love music when I ride. I don't know if I'll try 2 wheels again or not. Sorry for the long reply. If I don't sell it, it will definitely have upgraded speaker somehow by next summer's riding season.

Spyder Garage

BionicChewbacca
    No sir, I haven't researched upgrade for speakers yet. I'm still debating whether or not to keep it. I CANNOT STAND BRP Connect! I bought my 2020 Spyder RT Limited used from a Harley dealer. It only had 2600 miles on it and had every upgrade people recommend on here, windshield, tires, shocks, stabilizer bar, extended handlebars etc. The guy was very well off financially and traded Harleys all the time. Salesman told me the fellow bought the Spyder on a whim out of curiosity. He didn't like 3 wheels, so he bought another Harley. I've got 7,100 miles on it now. BUT! I HATE BRP CONNECT AND THE CHEAP SPEAKERS. I've got leg and balance problems. But I love music when I ride. I don't know if I'll try 2 wheels again or not. Sorry for the long reply. If I don't sell it, it will definitely have upgraded speaker somehow by next summer's riding season.
    Agreed..BRP connect sucks the big one. You’d think for 30K they would put a decent sound system in the damn thing lol.
    I as well have balance and leg issues along with a spinal cord injury and a TBI (none of it bike related). I haven’t been on two wheels since it all happened anywayssss.
    I haven’t dedicated a lot of time to researching options as far as speaker ohms and sizes etc for this thing. I’m sure it’ll probably end up as one of my winter “projects” added to my list
    Well if I happen across any information I’ll post it here to share with everyone.
    Safe travels
    My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.

21 Sea To Sky

2 & 3 wheels

Caged

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your reply. If I still have the bike (trike, 3 wheeler, reverse trike) next riding season. It WILL HAVE A BETTER SOUND SYSTEM installed. I'll relay any additions also. Thanks.