Spyder Garage

Default Update on belt vibration

Thought I would give an update on my 2019 F3L belt vibration. Quick history; at highway speeds (70 to 80 mph) I would get considerable vibration and at about 75 mph it was so bad that I had to back off the throttle which was a serious concern when in the passing lane. I don’t do highways or this higher speed often but I want that option.

I let the dealer/mechanic ride it and he recognized the vibration and recommended a dampener. I also contacted BRP and they made up a report/ticket for when I take it to the dealer again.

I purchased a BRP belt dampener and installed it a few weeks ago. To my satisfaction the vibration is all but gone all the way up to 80 mph. So it appears I have identified the source of the vibration and at least one solution. I recognize there are other suggested solutions mentioned on this forum and will need to decide if I wish to keep the belt dampener (and some of the associated potential problems) or try the other solutions mentioned.

I’m not overly excited about having something else on the bike that can go bad but I think for now I will keep a close eye on the dampener, purchase an extra OEM or after market roller as a spare, and possibly change the roller at every other oil change.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

I would recommend La Monster roller setup if you have not done this. His roller is superior but uses the Oem arm.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd suggest this belt dampener...NEVER heard of ANY FAILURES...Forum sponsor...

https://www.smoothspyder.com/

Spyder Garage

And if your just going to buy the roller, check with spyderpops also for cost!

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My vibration went away when I replaced the stock Kenda's
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for your reply’s. I suppose I’ve eliminated the vibration, with the belt dampener, but I didn’t find the cause of the vibration. As I progress through the regular maintenance of the bike (new tires, etc) I can disable the dampener to see if the changes made a difference in the vibration.

Thanks again.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Thanks all for your reply’s. I suppose I’ve eliminated the vibration, with the belt dampener, but I didn’t find the cause of the vibration. As I progress through the regular maintenance of the bike (new tires, etc) I can disable the dampener to see if the changes made a difference in the vibration.

Thanks again.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    The " cause " is likely the belt .... it is very long and that I believe is why they can vibrate ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post

Thanks again.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    Do yourself a favor and replace the factory roller with the oversize roller from Lamonster. That single small bearing on the stock pulley is a problem waiting to happen. The factory arm seems to be solid..My F3s would vibrate so bad my hands would go to sleep..its just belt harmonics..