Thread: Loading spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Loading spyder

I am having trouble loading my Spyder into my Thor motor home. It has to be loaded in reverse because of where the tie downs are located. Any suggestions on backing a spyder up a fairly steep ramp without losing traction. Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lmadsen View Post
    I am having trouble loading my Spyder into my Thor motor home. It has to be loaded in reverse because of where the tie downs are located. Any suggestions on backing a spyder up a fairly steep ramp without losing traction. Thanks
    I never tried backing up a steep ramp .... however I did have a steep ramp into my Toyt. ( 10 ft with a 30 inch rise ) ..... A few times I actually did it while it was raining without any slippage ..... I made a " cheese grater " for the center ramp .... I used two pieces of 7 in. wide 26 ga. galvanized sheet metal.... I used a construction size nail and punched holes in the metal .... I then turned it coarse side up and screwed it to the ramp.... folks who watched me go up the ramp in Rain were amazed ..... my concern for you ( or me ) is driving BACKWARDS and keeping all three wheels on the Ramp ..... good luck .... Mike .......... PS, some folks have used a winch to do it, by attaching it to the rear hitch, I don't like that idea because the hugh amount of Stress on the hitch or swing arm could bend it ..... the OEM hitch is designed to pull only 400 lbs Max. .... and unless the winch is mounted about 8 ft. high you won't be winching it in a straight line .... and this will compound the stress by Hugh amount ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I never tried backing up a steep ramp .... however I did have a steep ramp into my Toyt. ( 10 ft with a 30 inch rise ) ..... A few times I actually did it while it was raining without any slippage ..... I made a " cheese grater " for the center ramp .... I used two pieces of 7 in. wide 26 ga. galvanized sheet metal.... I used a construction size nail and punched holes in the metal .... I then turned it coarse side up and screwed it to the ramp.... folks who watched me go up the ramp in Rain were amazed ..... my concern for you ( or me ) is driving BACKWARDS and keeping all three wheels on the Ramp ..... good luck .... Mike .......... PS, some folks have used a winch to do it, by attaching it to the rear hitch, I don't like that idea because the hugh amount of Stress on the hitch or swing arm could bend it ..... the OEM hitch is designed to pull only 400 lbs Max. .... and unless the winch is mounted about 8 ft. high you won't be winching it in a straight line .... and this will compound the stress by Hugh amount ..... good luck .... Mike
    ...... PS ... moving or changing the " tie-downs " is what I would do .... After I got my RT into my trk. I used ONE ratchet strap over the rear tire IN_LINE_WITH THE TREAD ... I chocked the front tires .... I naevr had it move even during an accident .... their are many posts with pics on this method ( which I discovered about 8 yrs. ago .....

Spyder Garage
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!