Spyder Garage

Default Thinking on getting Corbin seat - your opinion? Lead times?

Thinking about getting a Corbin seat but before I order one what is everyone opinion and the lead time on ordering.I had one on my old Honda vtx 1800 and it took about a 1000 miles to get it fitted to my butt

Spyder Garage

Corbin is not a popular seat on this site. I have had two. One on my 2008 and one on my 2010 Spyders. I am one of the few that like them. I refer to them as "supportive." To my knowledge, they do not "break in" and remain hard feeling forever. I have over 50K combined Corbin miles on the two Spyders mentioned above.

Shipping time seem long when people talk about Corbin. I have used BRP comfort seats in three other situations. The current 2019 F3L has a Cannonball seat on it, and the 2020 F3L still has the original OEM seat. Linda is happy with it just that way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I sent them a email 2 days ago and still not a reply back, I remember when I ordered my last one back in 2003 it was very hard to get any response back,wonder how they are still in business with that kind of customer service

Spyder Garage

Got mine last year when they first announced they were making them. Took about a month or so to get. Love mine, it's the fifth one I've owned over the years and three of my current bikes have them (Ryker, Honda Grom and Yamaha Bolt). I will warn you that it's about 2 inches thicker in the front than the original or comfort seat from Can Am. To get back to my original seating orientation I added some Rox risers which worked out perfect. If you liked the one you had, you won't be disappointed with the one for the Ryker. Easy to install.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

If you call Corbin you'll get great service and you really need their recommendations on materials and such. I had them build a seat for my last HD and it was beautiful. But, it was never really more comfortable than the stock seat. I also had Mean City Cycles re-pad the seat for my Indian Scout and while it looked totally stock, it was very comfortable.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best way is to go to the factory and have it made to fit. Buying online is going to get you a standard seat and most don't like it. Holister California or somewhere near Datona Florida.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Always been a Corbin fan. Yes they do stay stiff, but then, it's the soft seats that will be more of a PITA on the long haul. Pretty much bulletproof as well - this one had over 100k miles on it when the pic was taken.

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Corbin fan here. Always acquire them 2nd hand. My 92’ R100 GSPD came with three seats, two Corbins. One is a solo the other is a bench seat. The solo seat is what I use. They have earned a reputation through the years (hard as a rock) The 93’ ST1100 I bought 3rd hand came with a Corbin. I ran it for awhile and could count on being somewhat comfortable by the end of the day. A farrier we used until he retired also rode motorcycles and it was his opinion that a good saddle whether for a horse or a motorcycle should be hard. If you’ve ever sat on a horse saddle they’re not exactly My Pillow soft. Although I’ve used and like Corbin saddles my favorite is Russell Day-Long. For LD work they’ve always come out on top for me. For the record I’m running the OEM seat on my 2020 Ryker Rally and I have no complaints with it and no plans at this point to upgrade

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtxbilly View Post
    I sent them a email 2 days ago and still not a reply back, I remember when I ordered my last one back in 2003 it was very hard to get any response back,wonder how they are still in business with that kind of customer service
    Yours is a common response concerning the company.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    For the record I’m running the OEM seat on my 2020 Ryker Rally and I have no complaints with it and no plans at this point to upgrade
    Stock seat is surprisingly comfortable, but plan here is to go with the comfort solo for the length. Tall guy and the legs are a bit cramped.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I have never had any luck with Corbin customer service. It's non existent. Even after my dealer intervened. he said that's it. No more Corbin from his store! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Corbin seems to be a love or hate saddle. I had one on my Kawasaki Versys 650 and l was very pleased with it. Others on that forum hated the saddle. I suppose it's all a matter of an individual's backside. At the moment I'm living with an Air Hawk on the stock 2015 RT-S saddle and so far it's acceptable, and a lot less than a Corbin. Perhaps my opinion will change over time and I'll get another Corbin.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I have never had any luck with Corbin customer service. It's non existent. Even after my dealer intervened. he said that's it. No more Corbin from his store! Tom
    Personally I've never had a problem with Corbin and I've owned 5 of them. Just my personal experience.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Love the seats and products they make. I've had fairings , seats and bags. Putting their seat on the Ryker made a huge difference for me. Contacting them in the past was painful, and when you are talking 2k+ for custom items that's concerning. This last purchase for the Ryker seat was nice and smooth. So may be they are getting better on the service side, I'll wait and see.

Spyder Garage

I like my gas door.... the seat I can live without. I'm in the process of looking for the metal prop to hold it up... any one have an image/pic? Corbin does make one prop for the RT seat... $32 with shipping but no image.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Sp
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I like the Russel Day Long...very supportive...their customer service is great! They respond within a day and will call you right back...Have had Russel Day Long seat on three of our touring bikes and am now putting one on my Ryker...here is phone number: 800-432-9566 Windhound

Spyder Garage

I got the Ultimate Seat with backrest. The design. includes the area for pillion rider. This one will be the one I keep on the trike. I take long rides and love this thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered my Corbin seat for the Ryker on April 3. UPS tells me its due to arrive on Monday 4/26. That's pretty good turnaround time I think. My experience with the seat ordering process hasn't been great though. My specific complaints. It took a couple days to receive the order acknowledgement. In the acknowledgement you are then given the shipping cost. So, you have to pay in full for the seat without knowing what they are charging for shipping. Corbin charged $65 to ship my seat UPS ground. Seat weighs 9lbs. HUGELY overpriced in my opinion. That sort of shipping charge should be 3 day shipping, maybe faster. Other than the order acknowledgement there has been ZERO interaction with Corbin. If UPS hadn't sent me a tracking number I wouldn't even know the seat was being shipped. Typically when I order something online I receive more information directly from the seller. I guess for me I didn't feel like the ordering process was very transparent and I didn't feel like I was very well informed about the process.

Hopefully the seat is all I hope it to be

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Corbin has arrived. Took me about 2 hours to install it. Not because its overly difficult but because there is NO room to install the bracket they provide. It does sit up about 2" taller which I really like. Need to go for a couple hundred mile ride to see how it feels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    My Corbin has arrived. Took me about 2 hours to install it. Not because its overly difficult but because there is NO room to install the bracket they provide. It does sit up about 2" taller which I really like. Need to go for a couple hundred mile ride to see how it feels.
    any tips for install? i'm still waiting on mine to arrive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmccall View Post
    any tips for install? i'm still waiting on mine to arrive.
    Small hands....LOL.

The bracket that mounts in the front is tricky. You have to place the bracket in position, place the nut and bolt in position (with washer and thread locker) and some how turn the bolt by hand or with a wrench but the space you have to do it in is tight. I brought the bolt in from the left side of the bike (as sitting on it) with my left hand. I brought the ratchet wrench in from the back, under the seat with my right hand. I put the bolt head in the wrench and moved it to the position of the hole in the Ryker frame. Then my son held the Corbin bracket in place (from the top) the best he could. Blindly, I applied pressure to the bolt so it wouldn't fall out of the wrench and used the wrench to turn the bolt trying to find the thread in the Corbin bracket. 1 1/2 hours later it finally worked. Don't worry about dropping the bolt (which happened many times for me). It just falls on the exhaust so its easy enough to retrieve. Once you have the front bracket mounted and you want to put the screw in the rear you have to really push hard on the seat forward and down for the threaded boss in the seat to line up with the hole in the Ryker plastic seat pan.

For me personally the Corbin Seat experience has not been very good. Customer service, feedback, transparency didn't exist. The seat looks great although some of the stitching seems to be off in a few areas. The installation experience wasn't great and the Corbin hardware doesn't scream quality. The hardware isn't seen though so I guess that's OK. At this point I'm feeling like I paid way to much money for something. I suppose though the value is in the comfort of the seat. I'll need to ride the bike for hundreds of miles before I know the answer to that question. If it turns out the seat is comfortable, capable of long rides (300-400 miles) and durable then it was worth the money and headache. If not then I might as well have bought a BRP comfort seat or stuck with the stock seat. The Corbin seat does sit up a little higher. 1-2" I'd say. I really like that.