Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Do these charges seem reasonable?

I think so (Spyders are not cheap to have serviced) but was wondering about others opinions.

2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5. Leaky gasket that needed replaced so had additional work done in the meantime (battery replacement, valve adjustment, etc.)

2012_CAN-AM.Spyder_Maintenance_03242021a.jpg
    2012_CAN-AM.Spyder_Maintenance_03242021b.jpg

Spyder Garage

Not able to read your attachment. I would be surprised if your valves needed any adjustment as I haven't read of anyone that has - even high mileage Spyders.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Not able to read your attachment. I would be surprised if your valves needed any adjustment as I haven't read of anyone that has - even high mileage Spyders.
    No problem reading the attachment. Click on it. Twice.

I have no experience with an RT with a V-twin, but based on what I have experienced on my wife't RT-S, it would not surprise me greatly to learn that adjusting the valves and replacing the gaskets would take a couple of hours. Not sure about two hours for each head, though.

Regarding the need to adjust the valves: I would suspect that most of the work would be in the process to remove the valve cover(s). Once they are off, it would not take much more to check valve clearances. After all, you don't know if you need to adjust them unless you actually measure the clearances. Since he already needed to change the leaky gaskets, it certainly would make sense to take a few more minutes to check the clearances.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

$82.50/hour labor cost at a dealership is pretty cheap. Dealerships in my area are around $120./hour

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Labor rates in my area are also in the $80 range. When I go in for an oil change and service it usually costs around $300. It's not cheap but removing the tupperware takes time and parts are not cheap.I try to support my dealer because if you don't he might not be there when you really need him.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    I think so (Spyders are not cheap to have serviced) but was wondering about others opinions.

2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5. Leaky gasket that needed replaced so had additional work done in the meantime (battery replacement, valve adjustment, etc.)

2012_CAN-AM.Spyder_Maintenance_03242021a.jpg
    2012_CAN-AM.Spyder_Maintenance_03242021b.jpg
    This go around I am thinking you got a pretty good deal. My dealer in AK, charged $130 per hour labor. RE: Valve jobs....I am one of the proponents of "they are not needed." The 998 twins service manual says valve jobs every 14K miles or so. I did two as a beta tester. Once on my 2008 at 14K miles and once on my 2010 at 28K miles. NO ADJUSTMENTS WERE NEEDED. Cost for both jobs was over $1000 each. A big waste of time and money. I further determined that I will check out valves at 50K or higher. Happily, I never reached that mileage on any more 998's. 2014 brought the 1330's and no valve work required.

Spyders are nice, but they are not cheap to keep or service.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You are correct - no adjustment necessary. The owner's manual calls for inspection and adjustment (if necessary) but no adjustment was necessary. This is the 2nd inspection I have had that did not require any adjustments. Since a lot of the skin is removed to replace the battery, I asked for the inspection. The best improvement? Change of spark plugs! Old plugs had 26,000+ miles on them. I can tell the difference with the new plugs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Ended up just being an inspection. No valve adjustment was needed.

Spyder Garage

Let's see you got an $800-1000 valve check for $382 and change and a whole bunch of other work thrown in. Yeah I think you did ok.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Let's see you got an $800-1000 valve check for $382 and change and a whole bunch of other work thrown in. Yeah I think you did ok.
    Agreed. Rusty is a keeper.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Pretty fair questionable about replacing the plugs, probably was not needed. Hopefully was not added to fill a time gap. Some shops have those minimal time requirements & strictly follow BRP time estimate per task, no matter if already apart & have access to therefore saving time.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Pretty fair questionable about replacing the plugs, probably was not needed. Hopefully was not added to fill a time gap. Some shops have those minimal time requirements & strictly follow BRP time estimate per task, no matter if already apart & have access to therefore saving time.
    RE: Plugs...all the "experts" I have talked with (two Spyder mechanics) have said plugs should last for 60K miles. The question is...was I told that because it was true, or because they were to lazy to do that "nasty" replacement job????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: Plugs...all the "experts" I have talked with (two Spyder mechanics) have said plugs should last for 60K miles. The question is...was I told that because it was true, or because they were to lazy to do that "nasty" replacement job????
    I can tell the difference with the change of plugs (cost per plug was under $4 and the mechanic already had the tupperware removed and was checking the valves). Mileage for my Spyder was a little over 26k. The engine sounds smoother and quieter to me. The real reason for my visit originally was to fix a leaky gasket.