Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting news out of BRP on electrification.

BRP has announced today that they will be introducing electric versions across all their product lines by the end of 2026.

http://news.brp.com/news-releases/ne...K632BUx6IPauPQ

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Most of us knew this was coming, here's hoping for a decent price and range
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm ok w/"offer" as long as they also offer ICE powered vehicles. The EV grid may be vastly improved in the next (5) years so I'm not saying I wouldn't buy an EV Spyder. Who knows, eh? One of the nice things about a true EV is the torque. You get 100% of the torque from a dead stop (or anywhere else). Great if you ride agressively as I do.

Spyder Garage

Very interesting. The last paragraph in the announcement is loaded with what I refer to as "weasel" words. A lot of woulda, coulda, maybe yes, maybe no.

Like others have said, for me, it depends on the electrical grid. How much more can it take before collapse. How much is it going to cost to fix. Where will the money come from. Are we going to see gas, or electricity price double or quadruple to make our world environmentally safe? And how about realistic pricing and realistic range. $40K (?????) for a vehicle that will take me a couple hundred miles without needing a charge....if I can find a place to do it (????????).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If they want an early buy in from consumers their marketing department better be planning to issue a map of recharge stations ahead of time. Otherwise I wouldn't consider it due to range or limited routes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

looks like ryker for the on road

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not interested.

Spyder Garage

Electric vehicles are inevitable and I think the Spyder/Ryker would be the perfect candidate for BRP to start. If done right, total cost of ownership should be a lot less than current offerings due to lower maintenance needs (no $250 dealer oil changes). For BRP, it's success is going to be highly dependent on range and recharge time. I'm somewhat concerned though that BRP is just starting to ramp up on development considering their competitors current and near-future production in two-wheel motorcycles. If I had the pocket change, I'd buy a Zero SR/S or SR/F motorcycle and maybe with a little arm twisting, the HD LiveWire.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default E V Spyder

Let me see it and test ryde it. Then I will give you an opinion. Cost will be a large part of the equation too.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    If they want an early buy in from consumers their marketing department better be planning to issue a map of recharge stations ahead of time. Otherwise I wouldn't consider it due to range or limited routes.
    Now you know in 5 year batteries will be so good you can go a gazillion miles between charges. At least thats whats been promised for the last 20.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I am not against electric versions. But what I see as a real problem with the announcement is that BRP is going down the same road that led to the failed BRP Connect system. They are reinventing the technology in house rather than using tech that was developed by much larger companies from billions of dollars in research. BRP has a real 'not invented here' syndrome. GM suffered from this through the 70s and 80s and nearly failed before changing course.

I guess this also means that any lingering hopes we had for a high performance version of the F3 ever coming to market are now down the toilet as well.

All in all a very disappointing press release.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Let's not forget how long till fully charged?

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I'm a retired electrical technician from a power company and no way in hell will I ever buy an electric car or motorcycle after working 37 years with batteries!!! This is all a bunch of crap this global warming bull ----! All it's doing is filling certain peoples wallets. The vehicles might be good for a couple years but after that look out and open up your wallets for repairs. That's all I've got to say.

Spyder Garage

Back in 2016 they had a prototype electric Spyder. Got 105 miles before recharge. Even with todays technology, I think they would have to remove or utilize the trunk to hold the required batteries to get a workable model for touring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Let's not forget how long till fully charged?
    Agreed, when I go on a full day ride or longer, i’m Not waiting 2-3 hours for a “fill-up”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Jim View Post
    I'm a retired electrical technician from a power company and no way in hell will I ever buy an electric car or motorcycle after working 37 years with batteries!!! This is all a bunch of crap this global warming bull ----! All it's doing is filling certain peoples wallets. The vehicles might be good for a couple years but after that look out and open up your wallets for repairs. That's all I've got to say.
    Finally found a kindred heart

Spyder Garage

In Russia, electric cars are almost not sold, (there are a few Tesla dealers in Moscow and St. Petersburg, Jaguar sells 1 model, Audi 1 model, and a little imported from Japan Nissan leaf). The climate in our country is not conducive to this. The network of charging stations is very small, and the prices are higher than similar cars with internal combustion engines. Look at the whole world where 70 percent of electricity comes from coal or oil, what the hell is the ecology?
    I have successfully converted my outlander to gas fuel for a long time, there are a lot of gas stations, it is cheaper than gasoline, and it spoils the environment less.
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Spyder Garage

The big Spyders would be a perfect platform for an electric drive train. I believe the Ryker would be too small.

Spyder Garage

Like it or not its coming. This year or next will be when electric vehicles are close to parity on price/usability. You'll see an increasing move by people over to non-ice vehicles, and manufacturers are not going to keep making things that aren't selling. A lot of countries have said no to new ICE vehicle sales from 2030 but in reality the sales will be declining well before that as people will not want to buy something that will have no/low resale value. So what this means for petrol is that the demand will drop. Initially this will be great for those with ICE vehicles as the price at the pumps will go down, but how low will it go before it becomes unprofitable for companies to transport/sell?

Spyder Garage

I specifically looked in Google where your country produces electricity. Yes, you are lucky only 6 percent get from coal. But not in Europe( USA I don't know but I think it's not so good either) where only Norway almost completely generates electricity through renewable energy sources. The rest of the talk about the fact that cars with internal combustion engines will go into the past utopia for many many years. I think even if such a small country as New Zealand to transfer all transport to electric traction with electricity will be difficult.
    We are Russians, God be with us!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am also hoping they dont shoot themselves in the foot by coming out with a proprietary charge connection where you'll need to bring your adapter with you everywhere to charge it...
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VLADI View Post
    I specifically looked in Google where your country produces electricity. Yes, you are lucky only 6 percent get from coal. But not in Europe( USA I don't know but I think it's not so good either) where only Norway almost completely generates electricity through renewable energy sources. The rest of the talk about the fact that cars with internal combustion engines will go into the past utopia for many many years. I think even if such a small country as New Zealand to transfer all transport to electric traction with electricity will be difficult.
    Its actually other countries that are making the main moves in electrification. For example the UK has moved the ban on new ICE vehicles in 2030. Bearing in mind the average vehicle age in the UK is 8.2 years you can see how that's going to drive the market soon. EU is even earlier with a proposed ban in 2025, though that's still being argued about so I suspect it will slip further out. Apparently in the UK they have already started rolling out large scale charging stations in preparation for the increased demand. Your right about their lack of renewable electricity, basically it will be moving the problem rather than sorting it.

Some states in the US are also looking at bans from 2030, though obviously that will be a lot more patchy.

New Zealand is going a bit slower with 2032, we also tend to keep hold of vehicles a lot longer than many countries (average vehicle age is 14.4 years). However we do have the advantage that 84% of our electricity is renewable and we're on course for 100% by 2035 even with the forecast increase in demand. There's a lot of infrastructure projects around this at the moment.

Like you mentioned its going to be a problem in countries like Russia where climate is the issue. I remember from when I worked in Antarctica and Finland how much batteries could be impacted by the cold. Not heard of any new battery tech that will solve that.

Spyder Garage

Reviving an old thread because of this video that came in my Google feed..

https://youtu.be/a_9b8WBZIHE

Electric motorcycle from can am
    2020 Spyder RT base
    2020 RT , Chalk White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default E v spyder

Well bring your best shot. I hope they can get it done and right. I wish BRP the best. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

EV's are a pipe dream, According to Pacific Gas & Electric a new electric vehicle on a dedicated circuit could draw 6.6 kilowatts—and up to 20 kilowatts in the case of an optional home fast charger for a Tesla Model S.

Good luck on the grid supporting that. One of the guys at work lives in town houses with common parking and some idiot there installed a charging station in his yard and is running the cable across the street to the common parking to charge his vehicle overnight.

HOA told him no can do. He is now suing the HOA trying to force them to install chargers. Electric company said no can do.. no capacity to support charging in that neighborhood. Lesson learned .. before you buy an EV make sure you have the electrical capacity available to support your charging.

Not sure what this idiot was thinking when he bought an EV and lived in a town house without it's own driveway.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-26-2022 at 05:47 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black