Spyder Garage

Question Store a gun in my RT

To start with, I've seen some threads talking about "Concealed Carry" on a Spyder, but that is NOT what I'm trying to get at. My question concerns temporarily storing a handgun on/in my RT. I'm an armed guard in South Florida, and the laws here don't allow for "Open Carry" except for a small amount of situations. Which means that if I need to stop at Walmart on my way home I have to store my gun. If I'm in my truck I have a gun safe that I can lock it in, and the safe has a cable that keeps it from being removed quickly. Not that it is a perfect situation, but it would take someone some time to remove the safe from my truck versus it just being stuck under the front seat and out of sight (the safe it self is in that out of sight place).

So do any of you deal with this type situation? Or know of a location where I could wrap that cable around the frame and keep the safe out of sight? The safe I use is certified for use in California, so it is a valid way to store it. I may not really like the idea of leaving it like this (I most definitely don't like it) but sometimes … <sigh> 'nuff said.

In an effort to head off some potential conversation issues that I've seen in other posts, this is only for the situation above, when I'm going in to or leaving from work. When I'm carrying my personal handgun I carry it, I don't leave it laying around in my vehicles, it is on my person, and that is not what I'm asking about.

I'm really hoping someone out there has some ideas.

Thanks all, this is a great place for information. I'm not sure what I would do without this forum and all it's partipants.

Spyder Garage

It appears that you have 2016 RT. If that is so the trunk has a rather deep well. I am thinking that you could mount a small safe in the bottom and bolt it to the trunk floor. I don't have your problem and in fact tho a concealed permit holder do not carry. I am just running an idea past you here. You would have to do your own research as to what would fit. Good luck and thanks for your service

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

First question: Do you have a FL CCW?

If so, then you can store the firearm in any of the compartments with no issue.
    If not, you run into a grey area as FS790.25 states it must be stored in the 'interior' of the vehicle, and the courts haven't ruled on whether the storage areas of a motorcycle qualify as 'inside.'

If you have the CCW, why not just carry it with you concealed?

And please join us at http://www.floridacarry.org and help us fix Florida firearm laws.
    Last edited by kissfan; 03-25-2021 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

I am thinking the simplest solution is "out of sight, out of mind." Wrap it in a towel, put it in a soft bag with other "stuff." put it in the frunk, or trunk. Leave all the compartments locked. Thieves want an easy pick, and don't like to fiddle with items that are difficult.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rishathra View Post
    To start with, I've seen some threads talking about "Concealed Carry" on a Spyder, but that is NOT what I'm trying to get at. My question concerns temporarily storing a handgun on/in my RT. I'm an armed guard in South Florida, and the laws here don't allow for "Open Carry" except for a small amount of situations. Which means that if I need to stop at Walmart on my way home I have to store my gun. If I'm in my truck I have a gun safe that I can lock it in, and the safe has a cable that keeps it from being removed quickly. Not that it is a perfect situation, but it would take someone some time to remove the safe from my truck versus it just being stuck under the front seat and out of sight (the safe it self is in that out of sight place).

So do any of you deal with this type situation? Or know of a location where I could wrap that cable around the frame and keep the safe out of sight? The safe I use is certified for use in California, so it is a valid way to store it. I may not really like the idea of leaving it like this (I most definitely don't like it) but sometimes … <sigh> 'nuff said.

In an effort to head off some potential conversation issues that I've seen in other posts, this is only for the situation above, when I'm going in to or leaving from work. When I'm carrying my personal handgun I carry it, I don't leave it laying around in my vehicles, it is on my person, and that is not what I'm asking about.

I'm really hoping someone out there has some ideas.

Thanks all, this is a great place for information. I'm not sure what I would do without this forum and all it's partipants.
    So you are saying that you have a CCW for your private weapon, and it does not apply to your service weapon?
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, definitely need some more clarity on your situation to better advise you. If you intend on traveling out of state, each state can have its own rules.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    It appears that you have 2016 RT. If that is so the trunk has a rather deep well. I am thinking that you could mount a small safe in the bottom and bolt it to the trunk floor. I don't have your problem and in fact tho a concealed permit holder do not carry. I am just running an idea past you here. You would have to do your own research as to what would fit. Good luck and thanks for your service
    I did something years ago to the bottom of RT frunk .... I made a " cut to fit " platform to strengthen the bottom of the Frunk and to keep stuff out of any water that might seep in ..... if I raised it one inch more I could fit most Auto's under the board .... painted flat black it looks OEM ... out of site out of site ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recall some time ago seeing in a firearms publication a list of all 50 states, including DC, of each state's laws pertaining to firearms possession. Do some research on the internet or with the NRA and I'm sure you can locate up-to-date information on each state’s firearms laws. Don't risk having the vacation from hell because you were caught somewhere in which firearms possession was illegal and the punishment was a jail sentence. I was planning a trip to Canada (no longer now because of covid) and I called a sporting goods store in the closest US city to that border location. I made arrangements to store my gun there while I was in Canada. $10.00 per weapon and a receipt to show to RCMP if you looked like you could be armed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems lately the laws are going to be changing daily.

Spyder Garage

I'm in Texas, where open carry is allowed in most places. We do have some restrictions where proper signage is required to NOT allow carrying either concealed or open and there are separate signs required for each type of carry. None of that is relative your situation but just a quick background.

Without knowing your exact status of license to carry but assuming you have one being an armed guard and stating you do carry concealed at times, my thoughts are similar to a couple of others here.

1. If you have a LTC and FL allows concealed carry, why not just keep a cover shirt handy so you can throw it over what-ever else you are wearing to satisfy the conceal carry requirement for the short time you will be in Walmart or any other establishment? I do this on the Spyder and on my bikes when traveling and go in places where I'm pretty sure the management and or other patrons may not be comfortable seeing open carry. I'm not a big believer in open carry anyway as I prefer not to be the "first target" of a bad buy.

2. Fabricate or have fabricated, a custom floor safe that can be permanently installed in the bottom of either the frunk or trunk. Have it designed so it completely covers the floor of one of those compartments, is black to match the inside and has a locking lid. Even made large enough for a large revolver, it would only result in loss of maybe 2 to 2½" of bottom space. 1/8 to 3/16 thick aluminum would be a good material to look at for such a device.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Frunk or truck, have been known to use both. Just make sure the transfer is before you get to the parking lot.

You might also want to install something like this alarm off Amazon. Mounted to something solid like the frame where it an pick up all vibrations it's quite effective.

2021-03-26_7-55-47.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know this doesn't answer your question but I refuse to visit any business that doesn't allow me to carry. (Yes, I'm a big 2A proponent.) I don't go to Walmart or KFC among other businesses. I live in NC which happens to be a big fan of 2A so there are very few local stores that don't allow me to carry although some "request" open or concealed. I'm happy to oblige either way if I have to although like cruisinTX said, I'd prefer to carry concealed so I'm not the 1st target of a "bad guy".

Spyder Garage

If you need some help interpreting the Florida laws, feel free to hit me up and I'll get you answers.

I am the Region 3 Lead for Florida Carry.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget that a locked-up empty firearm secured inside a vehicle, (or a home) is a worthless chunk of iron. God forbid that if the time ever comes that you need a gun to survive a deadly encounter, you want the weapon to be in your hand, not locked up where you can't access it quickly. Having an inaccessible weapon can lead to a false sense of security.

Spyder Garage

Sorry I haven't been back in a bit to answer all the above questions, but COVID got my hard and I'm still trying to recover.

Yes, I have a FL CCW, but the issue here is that I'm a licensed armed security guard. Which means that when on duty I open carry my weapon, and I am allowed to open carry between home and work. But if I'm off my post it starts to get fuzzy. I can still open carry if say I go get lunch, but I must be within 2 miles of my post. So if I'm on my way home and realize I need milk (for example) I'm not allowed to open carry at this point. And it is illegal to be in uniform and carry concealed. Now this may or may not happen, and I don't carry a non-uniform shirt around for just in case.

If I'm driving my truck it isn't an issue as I have a gun safe mounted to the frame, so this is all a "what if" or "just in case" when I'm riding my RT to work, and since I live is SW Florida that is almost every day.

And yes, I'm also a defender of the 2nd amendment and spent 10 years in the Navy defending the rights of everyday Americans to be the biggest rectal orifice they can be. So while I don't want to leave it behind in my vehicle, sometimes it might be the lesser of 2 evils to do, and therefore I'm hoping to do it as safely as possible.

Thanks to all who have responded so far, and hope this helps clear up some of the confusion my original post has obviously created.