Spyder Garage

Default Lost Keys - here's my solution - 2010 RT

I recently bought a 2010 RT from a friend that lost the keys. I have it running now after doing all the work myself.

You do not have to replace the ignition switch and DESS module together to get it running. BRP no longer list them online. But dealer websites do list the new DESS module. All you need to do is replace just the DESS module and order key blanks from BRP. Take the trailer lock barrel if you have it, or take off the rear trunk latch assy to a locksmith to make a key that fits. X270 is the key blank number. Use the barrel to cut keys to match the original factory keys for the ignition and you will have a extra to open everything and turn on to unlock parking brake.

Service Manual says the DESS will go into programming mode automatically and will program the new cut BRP keys. You need at least 2 keys programmed. You can also buy the Master key from your dealer to be able to program extra keys. Master key is only about $30.00.

I did find I had a fuel delivery issue after getting to turn the engine over. I have $450.00 in parts for DESS, Keys, Master key, and Locksmith charges, not counting my labor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-24-2021 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Spacing

Spyder Garage

For clarification, the early DESS is different than the later model DESS. Spyders 2014 and after have the later DESS system. While great info, you must have the programmed key, OR disable the DESS system and use either a programmed key or plain key on the later Spyders. Active DESS on later models requires a programmed key. Disabled DESS can use the plain key.

Spyder Garage

2013 and older you can not disable the DESS system. I have the BUDS software that is not option for those years. A plain key will turn the power on and let you unlock brakes and luggage but will not let the engine turn over and you do the bad key on the display.

Spyder Garage

Good work and a great idea to use one of the other lock barrels to make a new key from. But that only works on a RT. RS and ST models do not have any extra locks to work from.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    2013 and older you can not disable the DESS system. I have the BUDS software that is not option for those years. A plain key will turn the power on and let you unlock brakes and luggage but will not let the engine turn over and you do the bad key on the display.
    I'm not sure what you mean .... I have a 14 RT and NO Dess Module, I use a Non-chipped key ..... I had a friend dis-able the DESS system ..... works great ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean .... I have a 14 RT and NO Dess Module, I use a Non-chipped key ..... I had a friend dis-able the DESS system ..... works great ..... Mike
    Just what I mean the BUDS software with the right license does not give you the option to disable the DESS module like you can for a 2014.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Good work and a great idea to use one of the other lock barrels to make a new key from. But that only works on a RT. RS and ST models do not have any extra locks to work from.
    Will since some models to have any extra locks it would be a good idea to get a plain key cut. After going through this I will tell everyone that I see to get one cut so you wont have to replace parts you don't need to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    Will since some models to have any extra locks it would be a good idea to get a plain key cut. After going through this I will tell everyone that I see to get one cut so you wont have to replace parts you don't need to.
    I agree with you there. Having another key cut, even if it is not chipped is a good idea because that will save swapping out the ignition switch. But you can go a step further and get a chip cloned to one of your keys. That will prevent you from having to replace the DESS module as well. If all your keys are lost.

2018 F3 LIMITED