Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Pedal commander vs PV3 tuner

Which is better between the 2? Any 1st hand experience?

Spyder Garage

I have both on my 20 RT.
    1st I installed the Pedal Commander and love the response of the throttle. Made the RT come alive for the past 5 months.
    I installed the PV3 a few days ago and rode about 40 miles. I didn't turn on the Pedal Comm for the ride and I could feel the extra 'grunt' the PV3 added! Clearly more pull than without the PV3.
    I set the PC to 'city' and the RT became a thoroughbred!

Based on my limited experience:
    If you just need better response from the twisted wrist you only need the PC.
    If you want more HP/Torque for pulling power get the PV3.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have both.
    1.) PV3 changes fueling tables, timing tables, top speed restriction, fan temp activation, etc. It does add additional performance.
    2.) Pedal Commander simply improves throttle response. Nothing else ! No additional power. It does make the bike snappier via improved throttle response.
    If you want the best of both worlds, get both. You might just be satisfied with a snappier throttle of the Pedal Commander. Heck, try that first for lesser $$.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
    Which is better between the 2? Any 1st hand experience?
    Well like anything, it all depends on what you hope to accomplish ..... If you want / expect more power ... the Pedal commander will not provide .... and I don't believe the PV3 tuner will do it either ..... the ONLY thing that will produce more juice is a Re-map of the ECU .... Period ... Any combustion engine that has a computer controlling it ( like the Spyder & 99% of new cars/trks etc. ) must have that computer ( ie spyder ECU ) adjusted. ... It's not like the " OLD " days where a decent mechanic modify the engine with carburetors, timing, exhaust etc. to achieve more power .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Did the PV 3 help with the mpg? Did it not change the throttle response at all?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well like anything, it all depends on what you hope to accomplish ..... If you want / expect more power ... the Pedal commander will not provide .... and I don't believe the PV3 tuner will do it either ..... the ONLY thing that will produce more juice is a Re-map of the ECU .... Period ... Any combustion engine that has a computer controlling it ( like the Spyder & 99% of new cars/trks etc. ) must have that computer ( ie spyder ECU ) adjusted. ... It's not like the " OLD " days where a decent mechanic modify the engine with carburetors, timing, exhaust etc. to achieve more power .... good luck .... Mike
    The PV3 flashes the ECU without removing it from the spyder. It's not an add-on 'tweaker'. You flash the ECU and can then remove the PV3 or leave it attached to collect real-time data. The advantage of the PV3 is you can re-flash back to stock if you choose to because the PV3 stores the OEM and additional 'tunes'.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
    Did the PV 3 help with the mpg? Did it not change the throttle response at all?
    Too soon for me to tell if MPG changed with PV3. Throttle is more responsive than stock but the PC is far more responsive than the PV3 alone.

Spyder Garage

You totally dropped the ball on that statement. How do you think ECU flashes are built? You aren't required to remove an ECU and send it in to get it flashed. PV3's can change fueling tables, timing tables, top speed restriction, fan temp activation, etc. It does add additional performance. My highway MPG's improved a bit with the custom map..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    You totally dropped the ball on that statement. How do you think ECU flashes are built? You aren't required to remove an ECU and send it in to get it flashed. PV3's can change fueling tables, timing tables, top speed restriction, fan temp activation, etc. It does add additional performance. My highway MPG's improved a bit with the custom map..
    I guess the ball you said I dropped ..... landed on your foot .... Question ... what changes / corrects / or re-maps the ECU if it's not removed to do it ..... Thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get a Monster remap preloaded on a handheld device that you plug into the BUDS port to remap the ECU. Not sure if that answers your question or not?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    You can get a Monster remap preloaded on a handheld device that you plug into the BUDS port to remap the ECU. Not sure if that answers your question or not?
    I knew Monster or Wicked could re-map your ECU without removal ... if they had the Spyder at their shop ..... thanks for the explaining how it can be done by this method .... ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

I guess the ball you said I dropped ..... landed on your foot .... Question ... what changes / corrects / or re-maps the ECU if it's not removed to do it ..... Thanks .... Mike
    The Power Vision 3 gets plugged into your ECU data port. It reads your ECM. When connected, you can ride your Spyder and the PV3 data logs all your information. You than can build your fuel tables, timing tables, etc. as it reads information. How do you actually think Monster came up with their data to load/build into the ECU? It doesn't get pulled out of thin air. You really need to take just a few minutes time to read up on a PV3 to see what it can do before making blind statements .
    https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...dynojet-pv-cx/

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

The Power Vision 3 gets plugged into your ECU data port. It reads your ECM. When connected, you can ride your Spyder and the PV3 data logs all your information. You than can build your fuel tables, timing tables, etc. as it reads information. How do you actually think Monster came up with their data to load/build into the ECU? It doesn't get pulled out of thin air. You really need to take just a few minutes time to read up on a PV3 to see what it can do before making blind statements .
    https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...dynojet-pv-cx/
    Well if you feel that way. I guess I'm so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, sorry I have offended you

Spyder Garage

..... PV3's can change fueling tables, timing tables, top speed restriction, fan temp activation, etc. It does add additional performance. My highway MPG's improved a bit with the custom map..

How was the installation? Once you install do you leave it connected?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-24-2021 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    How was the installation? Once you install do you leave it connected?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Installation is just a matter of connecting to the BUDS port under the Frunk service cover. You'll need to follow some download steps. As far as the PV3 unit, you disconnect it when finished.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Well if you feel that way. I guess I'm so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, sorry I have offended you
    I'm good... I just prefer experienced opinions over inexperienced opinions of the topic at hand

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Hi, thanks for the write up on the PV3 and the links to the knowledge articles. Really interesting.

I'm still a little confused as to the relationship between the different companies. So Dynojet make the PV3 but Fuelmotousa have created the maps? Or are they one and the same?

Can you buy the PV3 from any dynojet dealer (it is available in the UK) and then buy the licence and map from fuelmoto?

Sorry for the questions but the fuelmotousa.com shop site is showing unavailable when I lick the link so I can't see the packages.

The UK dynojet dealer only lists the power commander as compatible with the spyder, but clearly the power vision 3 works with it from your experience. We have only 200-300 spyders in the UK so support for things like this is almost non-existant. But if it's all done by e-mail (assuming I buy a PV3 with correct connector) then I'm thinking I can buy the map/licence from the US.

If you don't mind, how did your costs break down? (PV3, licence & map file) The PV3 is about £400 here ($500 + tax equivalent) so I'm wondering what the licence and map would cost.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    ...showing unavailable when I lick the link so I can't see the packages.
    What you do in your own time is your own business, mate, but you should try Clicking the link instead of licking it. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

When you buy the PV3 online from Dynajet website they mail the unit to you. You plug it into your Spyder, key on, key off, and PV3 collects your ECU info. You upload that file to Dynajet and then you download your new map to install on PV3 to flash ECU.

All included in the $400 price. If you want more maps or other bikes to flash, they sell additional licenses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Hi, thanks for the write up on the PV3 and the links to the knowledge articles. Really interesting.

I'm still a little confused as to the relationship between the different companies. So Dynojet make the PV3 but Fuelmotousa have created the maps? Or are they one and the same?

Can you buy the PV3 from any dynojet dealer (it is available in the UK) and then buy the licence and map from fuelmoto?

Sorry for the questions but the fuelmotousa.com shop site is showing unavailable when I lick the link so I can't see the packages.

The UK dynojet dealer only lists the power commander as compatible with the spyder, but clearly the power vision 3 works with it from your experience. We have only 200-300 spyders in the UK so support for things like this is almost non-existant. But if it's all done by e-mail (assuming I buy a PV3 with correct connector) then I'm thinking I can buy the map/licence from the US.

If you don't mind, how did your costs break down? (PV3, licence & map file) The PV3 is about £400 here ($500 + tax equivalent) so I'm wondering what the licence and map would cost.
    Fuel Moto is a Dyno jet tuning center. The owner, Jamie Long, co-developed the original Power Vision. He is one of the most respected Dyno Jet tuners in the USA. That said, when you buy a Power Vision 3, you're at the mercy of their available maps. When you buy from Fuel Moto, you have unlimited map access. Right now, I know he has several maps in his library from individuals who bought from him and data logged their individual machines. I have had many bikes tuned by him, as he is only 95 miles away from me.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    what you do in your own time is your own business, mate, but you should try clicking the link instead of licking it. Just a thought.
    lol!!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    When you buy the PV3 online from Dynajet website they mail the unit to you. You plug it into your Spyder, key on, key off, and PV3 collects your ECU info. You upload that file to Dynajet and then you download your new map to install on PV3 to flash ECU.

All included in the $400 price. If you want more maps or other bikes to flash, they sell additional licenses.
    Ah ok, thanks for the info. That seems very reasonable at $400 all in, I'd prefer that to removing the ECM and sending it Monster Fuel in Canada. I'll have to e-mail them to see if they've got euro spec maps - we have the 79T sprocket on our F3s and it has a specific map.

Spyder Garage

Fuel Moto is a Dyno jet tuning center. The owner, Jamie Long, co-developed the original Power Vision. He is one of the most respected Dyno Jet tuners in the USA. That said, when you buy a Power Vision 3, you're at the mercy of their available maps. When you buy from Fuel Moto, you have unlimited map access. Right now, I know he has several maps in his library from individuals who bought from him and data logged their individual machines. I have had many bikes tuned by him, as he is only 95 miles away from me.
    Right I get you now. I got into the fuelmoto site at last (and no licking required ) and see that they charge an extra $250 for their maps and licence. But then you get their maps and not just the Dynojet ones. So $400 for the PV3 on it's own +$250 for the fuelmoto maps. Some food for thought there.

Next problem, it's only listed as compatible for the F3 from 2016. So now I'm wondering if it doesn't work with the 2015 F3 for some reason or it's just a listing error. I'll drop them an e-mail and then post in this thread again in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks for the help

Spyder Garage

Hey, monkeyboy. Digging through this old post, and wanted to clarify some of the info from Fuel Moto // or perhaps it's just updated info.

Fuel Moto offers free maps & support with product purchase. However, if you already have a tuning device or need a map for a different bike, we offer a fuel map & support buy-in for $99.95 which includes the following:

Up to 3 fuel maps for a single bike
    Basic customer support

Not sure where you saw the $250 charge. Look at >> https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-238989...model%3DSPYDER