Spyder Garage

Post F3 basic sway bar replacement

Hello, finally got around to ordering and replacing the OEM sway bar with one from Baja Ron. Great service and suggestions on using super glue to hold spacers to the links, thanks Ron. Used my ATV ramps to raise the front of the F3, so easy, thanks to those who have suggested this method.
    So on the scale of 1-10, about a five on my F3 basic, all right in the open, easier to just slide the splash guards down the rail, don’t have to remove them! Mine had the two frame stiffener bolts, just removed the plastic covers and was able to remove them and the sway bar blocks. When you are going back with the sway bar, replace the frame stiffener bolts first, makes lining up end blocks a breeze!
    Took me an leisurely three hours with coffee/bathroom breaks, like all things Spyder, take your time, remember what order things come off and if possible do it yourself! Way cheaper and you learn how your bike fits together.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Hello, finally got around to ordering and replacing the OEM sway bar with one from Baja Ron. Great service and suggestions on using super glue to hold spacers to the links, thanks Ron. Used my ATV ramps to raise the front of the F3, so easy, thanks to those who have suggested this method.
    So on the scale of 1-10, about a five on my F3 basic, all right in the open, easier to just slide the splash guards down the rail, don’t have to remove them! Mine had the two frame stiffener bolts, just removed the plastic covers and was able to remove them and the sway bar blocks. When you are going back with the sway bar, replace the frame stiffener bolts first, makes lining up end blocks a breeze!
    Took me an leisurely three hours with coffee/bathroom breaks, like all things Spyder, take your time, remember what order things come off and if possible do it yourself! Way cheaper and you learn how your bike fits together.
    Glad to hear that your install went well. I pulled my trailer onto a set of car ramps, then put a set of 6' ramps on the rear of the trailer to get the spyder up enough. Very easy installation, and this is from someone who really doesn't do any work on their bikes or cars anymore.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Yes, having the front end up so you can see the whole picture made it easier! A blanket for comfort, assortment of tools and light, all good! Now for the test ride, very windy and about 35 degrees last couple of days in New Mexico, looks better towards the weekend! Thanks for the response.

Spyder Garage

Was able to get in that test ride today after sway bar install. The difference in handling is amazing, cornering was great and interstate driving with truck traffic so much easier than before! A thumbs up to Baja Ron’s sway bar!

Spyder Garage

Just curious, for this install are you replacing a sway bar, or adding one to it? If replacing, what's the difference between the old and the new? I'm thinking of maybe installing one, but it is a little pricey.

Spyder Garage

I replaced the stock sway bar and links (plastic) with one from Baja Ron. Baja Ron bar is a larger diameter/ better quality bar with metal links! I know it’s pricey, but the ride quality is worth the money! I noticed an immediate improvement in cornering and much better highway control with truck traffic!

Spyder Garage

I replaced mine with a Rabbit Swat Bar (Australia). Like so many other ryders I've found an immediate large improvement in cornering. My thoughts wonder why such and easy and significant improvement in handling isn't yet being done by the manufacturer.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Yes, having the front end up so you can see the whole picture made it easier! A blanket for comfort, assortment of tools and light, all good! Now for the test ride, very windy and about 35 degrees last couple of days in New Mexico, looks better towards the weekend! Thanks for the response.
    Hey Don60, I'm from Grants got around 4 inches of snow at my house Tuesday. Crazy New Mexico weather.

Spyder Garage

Hello, Transam 87020
    I live just West of you in Thoreau. About 6 inches at my house! What do you ride? Love to get together some time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What dealer do you guys use, I live way south of you in Alamogordo?
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I use R and S in Albuquerque. Only dealership near us in western New Mexico, about 100 miles one way. They have two Spyder dealerships/ mechanics available.

Spyder Garage

I installed the swaybar from Ron, last saturday, It's a breeze to install, good instructions, didn't need the superglue, just a pair of longnose pliers, I raised the spyder, with a forklift, with a few microfiberclothes on the forks, made life easy.
    and Boy oh boy, what does that make a huge difference in driving the spyder, just amazing how such a "stick in a box" affects driving.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

i'm thinking about doing this on my 2013 st-s. I've read it's way more involved on the older machines than the newer machines. I don't look forward to it, but i'm going to tackle it soon. anyone else installed the kit on an older machine?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by myrz View Post
    i'm thinking about doing this on my 2013 st-s. I've read it's way more involved on the older machines than the newer machines. I don't look forward to it, but i'm going to tackle it soon. anyone else installed the kit on an older machine?
    Dunno where you would've heard this, cos AFAIK, none of the older Spyders have an 'easiest removal method that involves CUTTING THE OE BAR IN HALVES in order to make getting it off just 'reasonably achievable', as is the way with the Rykers??

While it's true that FITTING BajaRon's replacement bar to the latest Spyders really IS very easy, I'm pretty sure that the HARDEST thing about getting the OE Sway bar off the older machines is simply lifting their front end the 22 odd inches that's high enough (or finding a deep enough hole instead of lifting... ) for the few seconds it takes to pull the old bar off & then sliding the new bar in the way the old one came out - and that REALLY isn't all that hard if you think about it a little. Certainly it wasn't at all difficult on my 2013 RT, nor any of the older RT's I've helped others do; nor for that matter, on any of the older GS's, the RS/RSS's, or the ST's that I've helped with.....

All you need is a jack & a pair of axle stands plus a few blocks of wood to extend the jack's lifting height & to stabilise it up there for a few moments - and if you don't have the axle stands, then just use a set of wheel ramps, a couple more 4 x 4's, or a cinder block or two! It's only 22 odd inches and it's literally only necessary for a few moments - all the rest can be done with all 3wheels on the ground... altho raising it a bit to make reaching under in order to undo the couple of bolts you need to does make it even easier!

Go On!! Just Do It!! You know you want to!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: ;-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Worst DYI project ever Sorry Ron

Spyder Garage

I have moved on to stage three handling improvements one at a time.

Stage one: Federal Formoza AZ01 tires up front.

Stage two: Bajaron's sway bar a couple weeks later.

Stage Three: Bajaron's shock adjusters, last week.

Now the handling is fantastic.

Picture is the couple minutes on friend's ramps to exchange the sway bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

If you have a set of ramps available, makes the removal and installation so much easier! I did mine a little different, I kept bike ran up on ramps and was able to crawl underneath to remove and install new sway bar and links! This way adjusting the height needed was easy, just pull bike up as needed! Good luck to all DYI’ers!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Worst DYI project ever Sorry Ron
    I am sorry you found it such a struggle. Especially on an F3, which is one of the easier installs. What did you find to be so difficult about this process?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by myrz View Post
    I would not say it is 'Way More Involved' than some of the easier models. You do have to remove more panels (some models require no panel removal) as well as a few other components which are not necessary on some models. It does take longer than easier models because of this. But I find the biggest frustration is not difficulty, but comes from those who are in a hurry. If you don't have the time to take the time to do it in a systematic, relaxed manner. Or, if you get easily frustrated, it can make the process more difficult than it should be.

Here is how my 'Ease of Install' swag chart would be. (Disregarding the needed elevation on the 2013-2021 models. Because if you have the right items available, this is a breeze. If not, it will take a bit more effort to raise your Spyder to the needed height. There are a number of great suggestions, safe and easy, of how to accomplish this, in this thread and on this forum).

The 2008-2012 models do not need to be raised any higher than necessary to get underneath to do the work.

Easiest
    All F3 years and models
    2020-2021 RT models

A bit more difficult
    All 2014-2016 RS, RSS, ST models

A bit more difficult
    2008-2012 GS, RS, RSS models
    2010-2012 RT models

A bit more difficult
    2013 RS, RSS, ST models

The most difficult
    2013 RT, all models.

Still, even the 2013 RT is not extremely difficult. It simply incorporates all of the issues of all the other models plus you have to remove a few more things to complete the job. Many have done this. But I am not trying to talk anyone into doing something they do not feel prepared for. Everyone has to make their own decision on this. I am more than happy to send PDF copies of your particular install if you would like to preview what it will take before you pull the trigger. And I am usually available to help over the phone if you run into something that you can't figure out. I will certainly do what I can to help. I am a big fan of DIY. But it's not for everyone and I understand that.

As always, I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-29-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If you are a little mechanicly inclined, and take a coffee, and read the instructions delivered in the package from Ron, they are not in my native lingo, and have the lifty thingy figured out, it's a breeze to install, the manual stated to use superglue on the stainless washers, but with a thin pair of longnosed pliers, I got the job done completely, in a wee bit more than a hour, and that'included a smoke and a coffee, even cleaned the front wheels inside and out.
    imho, just start the work, don't overthink, don't rush, and this is a breeze, Get 'r done
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    If you are a little mechanicly inclined, and take a coffee, and read the instructions delivered in the package from Ron, they are not in my native lingo, and have the lifty thingy figured out, it's a breeze to install, the manual stated to use superglue on the stainless washers, but with a thin pair of longnosed pliers, I got the job done completely, in a wee bit more than a hour, and that'included a smoke and a coffee, even cleaned the front wheels inside and out.
    imho, just start the work, don't overthink, don't rush, and this is a breeze, Get 'r done
    Or put a dowel or piece on hose in the end and push it out with the bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.