Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar Shifted

I have 2019 F3 ltd. The sway bar has shifted over about an inch or more. The plastic links have bent as a result.
    Looking at the parts breakdown it appears to be a bolt on both ends to hold the bar. Anyone know what might be happening here.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Is it a BajaRon bar? Not knowing any more about it. I would say improper install. If it is my bar, give me a call at 423-552-3720.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Is it a BajaRon bar? Not knowing any more about it. I would say improper install. If it is my bar, give me a call at 423-552-3720.
    Ron, I wouldn't think so, he said plastic links. Couldn't those cheep plastic links be the problem?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sway bar is stock and plastic links.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a warranty(?) issue..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Get Ron's sway bar and get a 2 for 1.....problem eliminated and handling greatly improved. Yes, the issue may be covered by warranty, but why not take this opportunity to improve that area? And do you really want to be without your bike while the shop has it awaiting parts?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Ron, I wouldn't think so, he said plastic links. Couldn't those cheep plastic links be the problem?
    My bad! Someone told me about this and I just assumed it was one of my bars. I didn't even read the post. Monday's are a killer! Still, no excuse for not paying attention. I have seen many times where the plastic links twist. The ball bearings are too tight and can't move so the plastic gives. I agree with the poster that says to get it looked at as a warranty issue.

Frankly, I've never had a customer complain about one of my bars shifting. For that to happen someone would really have to botch the install. I'm not even sure it could be done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    I have 2019 F3 ltd. The sway bar has shifted over about an inch or more. The plastic links have bent as a result.
    Looking at the parts breakdown it appears to be a bolt on both ends to hold the bar. Anyone know what might be happening here.
    The bolded bit is a 'slight' possibility, but they do have a marked tendency to flex, bend, and eventually break!! (Go on, ask me how I KNOW this occurs! )

So I reckon the plastic links bending might possibly be the CAUSE of your sway-bar shifting, rather than a symptom!(Go on, ask me how I KNOW this is a possibility! )

Get a BajaRon replacement bar and his end-links, and enjoy ALL the benefits that come with it! (Go on, ask me how I KNOW these benifits are worth it! )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: pOssibility! :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that the plastic block bolt is missing allowing bar to shift?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I just can't believe that the plastic links is the only thing to keep bar in place. But if the sway bar is going to move side to side bending the links, then I will get Baja Ron's sway bar.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I just can't believe that the plastic links is the only thing to keep bar in place. But if the sway bar is going to move side to side bending the links, then I will get Baja Ron's sway bar.
    You will never regret this decision. Trust me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    You will never regret this decision. Trust me.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Also agree! Baja Ron’s bar much better!

Spyder Garage

The plastic links can be problematic. But they do not have anything to do with keeping the bar itself from shifting left to right. The OEM sway bar uses 'Pinch' areas in the bar which expands the steel making it wider (oblong spread) at the pinch points. These are placed just inboard of each bushing. These pinch points ride up against the inside of the bushings keeping the bar centered. If everything is right, the bar can move only about 1/8" (Or Less) in each direction.

There isn't much pressure on the sway bar to shift, so it doesn't take much resistance to keep it centered. I'm wondering if maybe your bar is missing 1 or both of these pinches. Production items can get missed steps. I find it unlikely though as this should have been caught during the assembly stage.

A bar that shifts much at all will destroy the end links. The plastic links took a beating, but they are not the problem, in this case.

Another possibility could be that they used a set of RT bushings on your F3. The RT bar (and bushings) are larger. A too large bushing would allow the pinch points to travel through the bushing. But you would probably get some clunking, thumping or some similar sound in turns if the bushings were loose. Just speculating here. I would love to know the reason for this. Very interesting issue.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-27-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

This may not help long term, but I found that the bolt running through the white plastic blocks at the ends of the sway bar seemed very loose. I tightened them down and bar has not moved yet. Still going to replace with Bajaron sway bar.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Start planning on how you will raise the front end up enough to drop the bar. Easy remove & replace after that.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

This may not help long term, but I found that the bolt running through the white plastic blocks at the ends of the sway bar seemed very loose. I tightened them down and bar has not moved yet. Still going to replace with Bajaron sway bar.
    That may well be your issue. I hope it is. Easy fix. Begs the question, though, as to why they were loose in the first place. If your OEM plastic links are damaged at all, I highly recommend replacing them right away. You do not want a link to break while running hard into a curve. It can really upset your world if that happens.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That may well be your issue. I hope it is. Easy fix. Begs the question, though, as to why they were loose in the first place. If your OEM plastic links are damaged at all, I highly recommend replacing them right away. You do not want a link to break while running hard into a curve. It can really upset your world if that happens.
    Wow, thanks Ron hadn't thought of that at all. OEM links are the weakest point in the suspension.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks Ron hadn't thought of that at all. OEM links are the weakest point in the suspension.
    The plastic links are a weak link in the system. However, if they are in good condition, they hold up fairly well. But if they are damaged at all, I would be concerned. They are most likely to fail under the heaviest load. Which is when you need them the most in a hard corner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Met a gentleman at a rally a few years ago that showed me pictures of his spyder after one of the OEM links broke. The broken link sent him to the hospital and BRP sent him a new spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Met a gentleman at a rally a few years ago that showed me pictures of his spyder after one of the OEM links broke. The broken link sent him to the hospital and BRP sent him a new spyder.
    Holly crap, you would think BRP could do better than that for no more than it
    would cost them.
    2019 F3 limited , Black