Spyder Garage

Default First ride of year and a couple of thoughts on the future

150 miles on the STS SM5 today. Last ride was December 11. Fired right up after coming off the tender last week. Aired up the tires, and off I went. Had the tunes playing through my Cardo and had no planned destination. Turned when I felt like it, kept going straight if that was I wanted.

Future thought #1:
    I have the '15 STS and a '16 Wing. I feel more relaxed while on the Spyder. I can look around and be more at ease, knowing I am on a stable platform with ABS, stability control, etc. However, I still like the technical aspect of two-wheeling. Carving up the curves still tickles my fancy.

Future thought #2:
    I can see myself selling/trading the STS in a year or two for a previously enjoyed RT, while keeping the Wing. I will then have two capable and comfortable touring machines, each very different from one another. My wife and I will take three wheels a few times per year, and I have even been hinting that she should learn to ride it (future RT) herself and head over to a friend's, and take her out.

Thing is, I really like the twin in the STS. It took me an entire season to learn how to rev the V to get it to where it shows what a sweetheart it is. It is fun to ring it out and it seems that the more rpm, the sweeter she becomes. Man, it has long legs and a wiiiiiddde RPM range. It is going to be hard to let it go for the more relaxed triple. Also, the STS is a very nimble Spyder. Most times, I will defer to the more "mature" handling characteristics of the RT, but it is fun to dip the STS into those curves and turns.

By the way - any new Spyder owners - especially those adding a third wheel after years of just two - give yourself plenty of time to get a feel for steering inputs and response...I think I just acquired the fine motor skills needed to push this machine smoothly and elegantly through the curves, where I previously was giving the bars too much and getting too much response. Much more linear when inputs are reserved.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

" mature handling of the RT " ..... ride it like you stole it ... I do mine and good luck keeping up with me .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy !

Spyder Garage

Enjoy. This is the year I have to retire the two wheels. Spent most of the fall riding two, love the curve carving etc. Left leg is giving me a time, so I cannot support the Vulcan with surety anymore. I have had a good run on two wheels....many many of them since 1966. Fifty five years of two wheelin isn't bad. Going to miss two, the but F3's ease the pain.

We now both have F3's. We like the platform a bit better than the RT's we both formerly drove. F3's a bit more peppy (so it seems), lower to the ground (cruiser style), and we sit IN it and not ON it. We now have both farkled, just the way we like em.

A word of caution....when the wife starts riding on her own, she will want her very own. They you will most likely need one each.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red