Spyder Garage

Default Coolant question - would you use Honda Type 2 in your Spyder?

My wife has a 2015 RT special series. I’m thinking of changing the coolant. I have on hand Honda Type 2 coolant (I have lots). Would you use it in the spyder?
    Opinions please.

Spyder Garage

If you are doing a complete change, and have a user’s manual for the bike, check the specs to see if the Honda meets the specs. Also if you can see what color coolant is currently in the bike by looking at the overflow tank, and the Honda coolant is the same color, and is for motorcycle use you should be fine.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

This is what the Honda says
    “Recommended antifreeze
    Pro Honda HP Coolant or an equivalent high quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors”

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
    My wife has a 2015 RT special series. I’m thinking of changing the coolant. I have on hand Honda Type 2 coolant (I have lots). Would you use it in the spyder?
    Opinions please.
    From what I find it is an ethylene glycol antifreeze mixture formulated specifically for aluminum engines, the same as is required by BRP. You do not dilute it with water but use it straight from the bottle. After you drain the RT refill it with water a time or two and flush out all the original coolant before you put the Honda mix in. It's best to not mix brands.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The short answer - YES!
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I completely agree. Honda coolant, formulated for aluminum engines will perform well and is widely available. And as stated, a through flush and clean. Planning on doing that my own self upon pending radiator replacement.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167