Spyder Garage

Default Question after Spyderpops mirror led install

So, sorry but I always get the jitters when doing things like this. I did install the stay on / flash mirror LEDs on my 2021 RTL. Now, I can’t remember if the front white fender lights were always lit, like running lights, all the time, or not???
    Weird... so now when I start the bike they do not come on like running lights but do flash like turn signals. Maybe the running light option isn’t on all the time? I can’t remember, so I don’t know if I have a problem or not. The mirror edge LEDs are not on like running lights either, but they do flash for turn.

Is that how the running light were? I can’t remember AAAAARRGHHHHHH!!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Mike0123; 03-21-2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure the center of the (3) white fender lights is always on and the outer (2) flash as turn signals? Maybe the other way around?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure the center of the (3) white fender lights is always on and the outer (2) flash as turn signals? Maybe the other way around?
    Thanks for your patience.

For the record ... you are correct, center stays on.
    I figured it out ..
    Blown fuse ... why you might ask?
    Because the connection to the left side LED strip had come loose and shorted out.
    Story of my life!
    Brand new 2021 RTL .... one side mirror LEDs out! Make everything look a bit more crappy! Hate that!! LOL

Thanks for the quick answer though.
    This forum is great!

B466E289-45AE-4F33-A95B-D58732AAA69F.jpg

Spyder Garage

I just installed the same item on my bride's 2021 Sea to Sky and, even though I tested operation at several stages during the installation (which was not easy despite what the instructions state), after all was said and done the right side running light portion functions but the turn signal flasher does not.

On the left side the turn signal works but the running light does not! Apparently the dab of super glue and heating the cable to make the bend is a very delicate operation. It would seem that the connection of the outer of the three wires and the end of the LED strip is very fragile. I've called Spyder Pops and requested replacement LED strips, and the second time I will exercise special care not to stress the connections.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    It would seem that the connection of the outer of the three wires and the end of the LED strip is very fragile. I've called Spyder Pops and requested replacement LED strips, and the second time I will exercise special care not to stress the connections.
    this is exactly what I ran into. Glad I’m not tbe only one. They need to do something about that I would think. I’m sure I was very careful. Had no trouble with the other one. Mine even lit for maybe 2 or three seconds ... then went out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    this is exactly what I ran into. Glad I’m not tbe only one. They need to do something about that I would think. I’m sure I was very careful. Had no trouble with the other one. Mine even lit for maybe 2 or three seconds ... then went out.
    I contacted them this morning and they're sending two LED strips under warranty. The drop of Super Glue and heating the cable casing so it will bend easily are VERY important steps according to the gentleman I spoke with. We'll see how well it goes the second time I try. If it fails a second time I'll search for alternative LED strips and mate it to the SpyderPops wiring harness.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I contacted them this morning and they're sending two LED strips under warranty. The drop of Super Glue and heating the cable casing so it will bend easily are VERY important steps according to the gentleman I spoke with. We'll see how well it goes the second time I try. If it fails a second time I'll search for alternative LED strips and mate it to the SpyderPops wiring harness.
    They sent me another strip immediately! Awesome service. I was as careful as I could be this time .. but it happened again.... I cant believe I had no trouble with my very first strip, and now trouble with tow in a row.
    I called them but they were closed, so I left a voicemail. I offered to pay this time.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    They sent me another strip immediately! Awesome service. I was as careful as I could be this time .. but it happened again.... I cant believe I had no trouble with my very first strip, and now trouble with tow in a row.
    I called them but they were closed, so I left a voicemail. I offered to pay this time.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Mike, I received the second pair of LED strips from SpyderPops last Friday. Yesterday, Saturday, I removed the original strips on each mirror, and carefully installed the replacements. After Convincing myself the drop of Super Glue had done it's job, I heated the heat-shrink tubing with a BBQ lighter (one of pistol-looking things) and while holding the glued spot with my thumb, slowly bent the warmed tubing about 90 degrees as close to the edge of the mirror housing I was comfortable with. When each had cooled I plugged them in and, lo and behold, they both worked. Hoping I was good to go, I reassembled both mirrors, checked them again and found they still worked.

We went for a lengthy ride, with me following her Sea to Sky, and I can report they now function as advertised. I hope your next iteration works. Perhaps you've already determined which wire is which but if not, the yellow wire is turn signal flasher while the brown wire is the running light. The center black wire is ground. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

So anyway, Lamonster came through again. I was pretty embarrassed when I broke the second strip too. I offered to pay for the next one but they said no worries and shipped me another strip... with some more Jelly Bellys.
    I got that strip in ok. They work and look great!
    Thanks to everyone here and Lamonster Garage.