Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 or F3 S - auto or manual?

I ride a H-D Tri Glide and have been riding trikes for many years. Thinking about getting a second trike (something different). Found a H-D Freewheeler a poor fit. About 2 - 4 inches too close to the bars from as far as I could get back in the seat.

Waiting for nearby dealer to put an F3 together so I can give it a test ride. Other than the fancier gauge cluster, which I like, what makes the F3 S better?

Resigned to giving up the hand brake, but I think I would prefer a manual since I am used to riding motorcycles with manuals.

New F3's, F3 S's, and used F3's with manuals seem hard to find in East Tennessee.

Opinions requested.

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)
    Last edited by Coastie; 03-24-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Can't get linstructions or permission to change my user name
    2021 F3-S SS , Black, gray, & orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally I like shifting, it makes me feel more a part of the process. My car is an auto, but it's a car and
    basically just transportation. For fun, I like shifting, but that's just me. I think you'll get the overwhelming
    response of preferring auto over manual. Diff'rent strokes...
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

The F3S adds:
    Upgraded display
    Sport mode
    Cruise control
    89t rear pulley
    Fox Podium front shocks
    10HP increase
    Matte black panels

If you want a manual transmission, you'll need to look at 2020(?) older F3's. The paddle shifter is nice.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

you still get to shift , just no clutch and paddle instead of foot . These aren't full auto just semi-auto .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is true, just paddle and not foot and clutch. I keep forgetting it is Semi-automatic.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    I ride a H-D Tri Glide and have been riding trikes for many years. Thinking about getting a second trike (something different). Found a H-D Freewheeler a poor fit. About 2 - 4 inches too close to the bars from as far as I could get back in the seat.

Waiting for nearby dealer to put an F3 together so I can give it a test ride. Other than the fancier gauge cluster, which I like, what makes the F3 S better?

Resigned to giving up the hand brake, but I think I would prefer a manual since I am used to riding motorcycles with manuals.

New F3's, F3 S's, and used F3's with manuals seem hard to find in East Tennessee.

Opinions requested.
    I have had three Spyders ... my first was an 08 GS with manual shift, that was 13 years ago .... I now have arthritis in my left hand, so the manual isn't an option now ..... my other Spyders were Semi-Auto's and I was sorry I didn't get that First ...... IMHO the Semi-Auto from BRP is flaw-less. .... I have drag -raced both and " hands -down " the Semi is perfect .... full on throttle and just shift ... never skips a beat .... I wouldn't own a Manual shift Spyder..... For those who may think the manual can be shifted faster then the Semi-Auto it just isn't so .... my 2021 C-8 Vette doesn't even have a Manual as an option, 8 shift on the fly auto ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

F3 or F3 S - auto or manual??? I prefer the F3-S and semi-auto. Test ride them both and decide.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

The "thing" I always have in the back of my mind... One Day I Will SELL IT! An Auto is going to be easier to Sell. I've owned everything possible and I prefer the manual but in the Spyder the Auto is much easier to ride with the Auto.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I do NOT miss shifting and a clutch lever. I do NOT miss putting my foot down at every stop. you still control when it upshifts, but you only press a thumb paddle. You have COMPLETE control of upshifting. Down shifting is automatic unless you intervene with your finger paddle. Get an SE6.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Like BlueKnight said and did, I also had an 08 GS...at the time I bought it, there were only manuals available. Rode mine for two years, 23,500 miles and traded it off for the new 2010 RTS. Six spyders later, they have all been SE (semi auto) shifters.

In most cases the Manual is a bit more difficult to sell. Most buyers want an SE version. Cost and resale will be about $1,500 less. I will say, that you will not likely miss using the clutch hand and foot shifter. Those paddles still let you shift, but its quicker than the manual version.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I started last year, on my spyder F3s, with a semi- auto, drove a manual shifted spyder, from a friend before that, and I just love the semi-auto, like blueknight and Artraveler stated, it just never misses a beat, when you're cruising, or drive hard, it just shifts, in a matter of milliseconds... There are fellow drivers with 2wheels, jealous of how fast it shifts.....
    I tour with a few 2 wheeled friends, and they, have trouble keeping with me as well on straight, as in the twisties... next week i am installing a baja-ron sway bar, see if that works...
    Been flying blind, at this forum...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Cool F3 or F3 S - auto or manual? or F3-S SS

Thanks for all the replies.

Wish I could find a manual nearby to test ride. When it is a dry day so the dealer will let me, I'm going 90 miles to test a '21 F3-S SS. Starting to think 2 year unlimited miles warranty and road side assistance is a good reason to go for a new one and forget about the manual transmission. I should be able get use to the semi-automatic and if I want to sell it later as was said I can sell it easier. I have driven lots of things from 2 wheel motorcycles to 5 ton Army trucks to boats with automatic, manual, semi-automatic transmissions with 1 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive.

Don't need a semi-automatic now but might later. Plus I will still have my H-D Tri Glide for manual shifting.

Might as well to pay just a little more for a F3-S SS and get all the goodies.

20ef4bd61fa334a587f37f93085fd57625458fb5_512x512.png

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)

Spyder Garage

That's a good choice, the ss, has indeed all the goodies, I went for the all black edition, cause imho the orange frame, was just too much for me...
    I love the machine too bits, it's a blast to drive, but needs a little time, to learn how to drive it...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Spend a few dollars more and go for the F-3T, lots of upgrades and way more comfortable.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks but I like the skinny butt better plus I will still have my H-D Tri Glide for trips, etc.

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I went 80 miles to the Chattanooga dealer to test drive the '21 F3-S SS. Bought it and drove it home. Decided the 2 yr warranty and road side assistance helped my final decision.

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)

Spyder Garage

Default Nice!

Congrats. Please post some pics when you get a chance. If you're comfortable saying it, what was the out the door price? Thanks and stay safe!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I went 80 miles to the Chattanooga dealer to test drive the '21 F3-S SS. Bought it and drove it home. Decided the 2 yr warranty and road side assistance helped my final decision.
    Sweet! you'll love it.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations, they are nice people there at the Chattanooga dealer.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZCanAm View Post
    ... If you're comfortable saying it, what was the out the door price? Thanks and stay safe!
    - $1,124.99 Can AM muffler add on
    - $500 discount (dealer's?)
    + $179 Accent Signature Light (wouldn't or couldn't remove)
    + $32 full size brake pedal
    + $118.75 accessories install (and uninstall)
    + $30.25 for ERGO POS 5 brake pedal extension rod
    - $29.99 for ERGO POS 4 brake pedal extension rod
    + $785 destination
    + 0 for doc or dealer prep_____________________
    $20,644 + tax (I will register in my county)

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)

Spyder Garage

Great deal. You must be a good negotiator. When I first started looking I was trying to go cheap. For a Ryker 900 Rally a local dealership wanted 15,450 out the door.
    They charged a lot to put it together, $500 for lifetime battery, and a host of other charges. That's when I decided to buy used from a private seller. Ended up with a 2015 F3-S with $2500 worth of upgrades for 11K. Has 5,500 on the clock.

Congrats again. I know I love mine.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies.

Wish I could find a manual nearby to test ride. When it is a dry day so the dealer will let me, I'm going 90 miles to test a '21 F3-S SS. Starting to think 2 year unlimited miles warranty and road side assistance is a good reason to go for a new one and forget about the manual transmission. I should be able get use to the semi-automatic and if I want to sell it later as was said I can sell it easier. I have driven lots of things from 2 wheel motorcycles to 5 ton Army trucks to boats with automatic, manual, semi-automatic transmissions with 1 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive.

Don't need a semi-automatic now but might later. Plus I will still have my H-D Tri Glide for manual shifting.

Might as well to pay just a little more for a F3-S SS and get all the goodies.

20ef4bd61fa334a587f37f93085fd57625458fb5_512x512.png

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)
    Just asking. Did you get a semi auto or manual?

Spyder Garage

Once you get use to the semi-automatic you will love it
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZCanAm View Post
    They charged $500 for lifetime battery.
    Funny lifetime battery was printed on deal sheet form but was not charged for it. Salesman said the form comes that way (from Can-AM?) but they don't sell those batteries.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Just asking. Did you get a semi auto or manual?
    Semi auto - no other option in 2021. Liking it and I will be keeping my H-D Tri Glide so I can enjoy both.

Coastie
    (a.k.a. Newby)