Thread: Gimme A Brake!

Spyder Garage

Default Gimme A Brake!

Been awhile since I posted last, it's been a long, cold, winter in Wisconsin but I'm getting close to waking the Spyder up from her long winter nap. Here's my question, how can you tell when the brakes need service or replacing? I ask this because last fall I had her in for the annual oil and filter change and the tech said the pads were worn to almost 50%. At the time it sounded like he was "up selling" and I declined new brakes thinking I would revisit this later. There's only 7K miles on my RT, I don't ride the brakes and there's no squealing when applied. So how would one check for brake wear? Thanks in advance, it feels good to be back!

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best way is to pull the wheel, get a flashlight, and visually check the thickness of the remaining pad material. Not hard
    to do with the front brakes, but the rear can be checked with the wheel in place. At least on Peggy's STS, no bags.
    Both brake pads may not wear at the same rate, so just looking at one pad on a wheel will not give you all the information you want.

If you're needing brakes at 7,000 miles, you either have bad habits, or issues of some kind.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Good question. When I had my 600 mile service completed on my 20 RT(base) last month, the shop said i was down to 80% brake pad. I don't ride my brakes either. Difference for me is that my brakes have been squealing since the spyder was delivered. I was going to question it, but figured it is what it is.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Been awhile since I posted last, it's been a long, cold, winter in Wisconsin but I'm getting close to waking the Spyder up from her long winter nap. Here's my question, how can you tell when the brakes need service or replacing? I ask this because last fall I had her in for the annual oil and filter change and the tech said the pads were worn to almost 50%. At the time it sounded like he was "up selling" and I declined new brakes thinking I would revisit this later. There's only 7K miles on my RT, I don't ride the brakes and there's no squealing when applied. So how would one check for brake wear? Thanks in advance, it feels good to be back!
    Glad you told us what Spyder we are discussing ( a fare number of posters here DON"T ) ....my experience with the OEM pads was this .... Rear 30,011 ( but they were almost to metal ) ....Rear with EBC pads - 3/4 worn at 56,768 mi. ( way better pads ) ...... Front 42,861 ( with about 5,000 mi left - changed to EBC anyway ) ..... now Front EBC at 56,768 not worn much - at least 30,000 left ..... Hope this helps ....... Even Ron will tell you most folks change out the Pads way to soon ...... It's not hard or time consuming to check what the Pads look like and the best way to know for sure ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Good question. When I had my 600 mile service completed on my 20 RT(base) last month, the shop said i was down to 80% brake pad. I don't ride my brakes either. Difference for me is that my brakes have been squealing since the spyder was delivered. I was going to question it, but figured it is what it is.
    I wonder what they did at 600 miles since the first service is at 3000 miles? The twins were 600, but all the triples are 3000.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The oem pads have grooves cut into them and as long as you can still see the grooves you are good. Easy to see that from the side of the calipers.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue