Thread: The Whine!

Spyder Garage

Default The Whine!

Hi all,

Last year i bought a new2020 RT LTD which had the annoyingly high whining noise near the front of the machine that I've read about on this site. Thing is i sold that bike for various reasons [nothing to do with the bike, i loved it, just not the whine]

I am now looking at getting a 2021, does anyone know if the problem was defiantly solved by BRP AND DO THE 21'S HAVE THE SAME ISSUE?????

Thanks

Spyder Garage

My 21 RTL does not have any noticeable whine. Then again I play my music so loud, I probably wouldn't here it.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Hi all,

Last year i bought a new2020 RT LTD which had the annoyingly high whining noise near the front of the machine that I've read about on this site. Thing is i sold that bike for various reasons [nothing to do with the bike, i loved it, just not the whine]

I am now looking at getting a 2021, does anyone know if the problem was defiantly solved by BRP AND DO THE 21'S HAVE THE SAME ISSUE?????

Thanks
    BRP changed the front drive sprocket in September of 2020. If you get a 2021 made after that you should have the new sprocket that is designed to eliminate the noise. If unsure have the dealer check to make sure the sprocket is white on the one you are getting.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just rode a 2021 RT at a Demo Day event a couple weeks ago. It did have a whine like described above. If I had one I'm sure I would get used to it. It may just take some miles for the belt to wear in.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi all,

Thanks
    Being able to EXACTLY locate various sounds is quite difficult ..... badly aligned drive belt could have been the cause or the tension of that belt ..... sometimes there is no magic bullet ...... Cheers .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had the whine but it went away when I took the front Kendas off and replaced them with Federal Formoza tires. A vibration went away too!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My new 2021 RT SE6 has no Whine but if it did I'd have some Cheese with it as a bonus!

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input guy's.

I saw the Smak's video on you tube where he says it is an issue with air flow through or near the front sprocket and although he initially though it just characteristics of the bike i also read that BRP were now replacing the front sprocket but nothing definite. Anyone else have this issue or heard about the fix, just to confirm.

I'll send over some nice Aussie cheese to go with your whine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    BRP changed the front drive sprocket in September of 2020. If you get a 2021 made after that you should have the new sprocket that is designed to eliminate the noise. If unsure have the dealer check to make sure the sprocket is white on the one you are getting.
    Thanks Mate,

I suspect your answer is the correct one but are you definite on that, its only the second time I've heard it after searching the internet. Paying $42000+ for a whine like that puts me off.

It wasn't Tyres or anything else, i had a 18 F3 LTD before it with no issues.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mate,

I suspect your answer is the correct one but are you definite on that, its only the second time I've heard it after searching the internet. Paying $42000+ for a whine like that puts me off.

It wasn't Tyres or anything else, i had a 18 F3 LTD before it with no issues.
    Quite a few posts/threads here confirming this - the later 2021 models got the 'upgrade white sprocket' to eliminate this noise!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Quite a few posts/threads here confirming this - the later 2021 models got the 'upgrade white sprocket' to eliminate this noise!
    Thanks for that Peter, a fountain of knowledge, as usual.

Spyder Garage

I to have the same whine on my 2016 RT. I believe it comes from the front tires as they are stock. It only occurs between about 35 and 45 miles an hour. But, who drives that slow?

Spyder Garage

Dealer replacing my early '21 front sprocket under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post
    My new 2021 RT SE6 has no Whine but if it did I'd have some Cheese with it as a bonus!

Sam
    You beat me to it. When I first read the title, I was also going to make some kind of a comment about wine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 late and between 48 - 52, I get the whirling sound like a tornado siren. Every time I hear it I have to remind myself not to seek shelter.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL that I bought in Oct 2020. I noticed the whine at 50-54 mph. I did some research on this site and found out about the front sprocket issue. I brought my bike back into the dealer to have armrests and a hitch put on and at that time I asked about the sprocket issue and explained my findings. The dealer looked into it and advised me that BRP was aware of the issue and they were coming out with a different front sprocket. He put in an order for it and it came in around February and they replaced it under warranty. I have ridden it only 2-3 times due to weather here in Michigan but the whine is gone.