Spyder Garage

Default Need help installing Ryker backrest

from Slingmods with Ryker Rally that has max mount. The you tube from Slingmods shows putting the backrest on a Ryker with the max mount but the Ryker does not have a fender. My Ryker Rally has fender and a pan under the seat to protect the seat from spray. It looks like I have to totally disassemble the whole fender and seat and cut a hole in the plastic pan under the seat to have this driver back rest work. But, I am not real keen on cutting holes in the pan. So thought some one else might have run into this problem too.

Windhound

Spyder Garage

I have a different backrest on my Rally, but I have seen posted where others have had to cut a hole in the plastic on the Rally edition, maybe they will chime in.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I have this backrest but haven't had time to install it yet.

Spyder Garage

I installed this seat the other day. It wasn't hard to do and I did have to notch out the plastic behind the drivers seat for it to fit using a Dremel tool. It was an easy install though and nothing needed to be removed besides popping off the drivers seat. I have the comfort seat so it intrudes into the back rest bracket a little more than I would like due to it being a little larger.
    I'm not completely sold on it. Everything is a tight fit in that area and the tilting knuckle has to fall in a particular location under the nose of the passenger seat for it to fit. Also, the adjustment screw for tilt back is hard to access.
    I haven't gotten to ride with it yet.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered that backrest today. I added a complete back fender to my 21 rally . I hope i did not make a mistake ordering that backrest
    thanks

Spyder Garage

I figured out why the back rest is such a tight fit on my Rally. Its because I have the comfort passenger seat installed. The comfort seat extends farther forward than the standard passenger seat and takes up the space where the bracket extends. It causes the tilting section of the back rest to always be pushed forward and it won't stay upright unless I am sitting in the drivers seat.
    Not the end of the world. I have yet to have time to give it an extended ride to see how it feels though. I have added some pictures to show where I modified.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Backrest Comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I figured out why the back rest is such a tight fit on my Rally. Its because I have the comfort passenger seat installed. The comfort seat extends farther forward than the standard passenger seat and takes up the space where the bracket extends. It causes the tilting section of the back rest to always be pushed forward and it won't stay upright unless I am sitting in the drivers seat.
    Not the end of the world. I have yet to have time to give it an extended ride to see how it feels though. I have added some pictures to show where I modified.
    I was wondering if you had a chance to try your backrest for an extended ride this summer and whether you found it to make the Ryker more comfortable. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Nope...I returned it to slingmods. It would not stand up by itself due to the passenger comfort seat always pushing on it.
    Slingmods added a disclaimer after my issues to say it does not fit with the comfort passenger seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Windhound View Post
    from Slingmods with Ryker Rally that has max mount. The you tube from Slingmods shows putting the backrest on a Ryker with the max mount but the Ryker does not have a fender. My Ryker Rally has fender and a pan under the seat to protect the seat from spray. It looks like I have to totally disassemble the whole fender and seat and cut a hole in the plastic pan under the seat to have this driver back rest work. But, I am not real keen on cutting holes in the pan. So thought some one else might have run into this problem too.

Windhound
    The wife has the 2020 Rally, and we bought the same backrest. I had to remove the plastic fender. The only issue I ran into is that the bolts that hold the max mount stripped going back in, so I had to re-tap them. Other than that, it went pretty smooth. Since then, I've replaced the seat with the full seat from Slingmods.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Nope...I returned it to slingmods. It would not stand up by itself due to the passenger comfort seat always pushing on it.
    Slingmods added a disclaimer after my issues to say it does not fit with the comfort passenger seat.
    If you don't mind me asking... How smooth was the return process for you and did you have to push them?

I'm going on 3 weeks now waiting to hear back from them about a return... I'm a first time buyer at Slingmods, so not sure if this is normal?

Spyder Garage

It wasn't bad. I think they realized that it was not advertised correctly. I was worried that they may not give me a refund due to me taking so long to ask for one. But it was bought for me as a Christmas present and I didn't try installing it until the warm weather. That's when I found that it wouldn't work with the comfort seats. They added a disclaimer for that item since.
    I didn't get my full refund but I got more than I had hoped for. Got about 90% back. I've bought a few things from them and had any issues.

Spyder Garage

Got about 90% back. I've bought a few things from them and had any issues.
    What was their rationale for only giving back 90%? I am reluctant to buy from them, as I never had a good feeling about a part reseller marking up items just for hyping the products. They don't make anything from what I understand. Tricled can be ordered from directly the last time I checked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    What was their rationale for only giving back 90%? I am reluctant to buy from them, as I never had a good feeling about a part reseller marking up items just for hyping the products. They don't make anything from what I understand. Tricled can be ordered from directly the last time I checked.
    Most places charge a restocking fee to cover their accounting expenses and possibly fixing the packaging that may need replaced. I also returned it a few months past the return window.

Spyder Garage

Glad I read about the passenger comfort seat and the backrest not working together. Had one ordered om my rally - to be delivered in march - but now have changed that to the regular passenger seat. Kept the comfort drivers seat since it fits with that.
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Inge View Post
    Glad I read about the passenger comfort seat and the backrest not working together. Had one ordered om my rally - to be delivered in march - but now have changed that to the regular passenger seat. Kept the comfort drivers seat since it fits with that.
    Having information like this available is a major forum benefit!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black