Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for bright shiny metallic neon green/orange "strips"

As I mentioned in another post, I put up one of those Shed-In-A-Boxes to use as a garage a few months ago (with the city Planning Directors blessing). Now, the same city Planning Directors says it's out of code and I have to remove it or get a daily $200 fine. (They sent the registered letter today but I wasn't home to receive it.) I just can't see some random person calling the Planning Department to inquire as to whether I had a permit when I "built" it so I'm guessing it was a meddling neighbor who thinks this will lower their property value.

Cool. Two can play at that game, son.

I have a log cabin (or at least a log cabiny feeling house). I want to do something that will really decrease their perceived property value but want it to be something I can remove when I want to sell MY house. I was thinking maybe some wide strips of bright, shiny, metallic neon green/orange I can attach to the front of the house on top of each log. I want it to be able to be seen from space.

Here's what the house looks like now. (Picture the "garage" with the front flap rolled down.)

house left.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I want it to be able to be seen from space.

house left.jpg
    If it's the same as out here that is exactly how they check for new work that has no permit.Google earth saves them the drive around.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I would not stoop to their level. Karma will get them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    If it's the same as out here that is exactly how they check for new work that has no permit.Google earth saves them the drive around.
    It's not "new work". It's a portable/temporary "shed".

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I would not stoop to their level. Karma will get them.
    I doubt it but I understand what you're saying.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Monk, first off, I would go to the city office and ask what code and what part it is not in compliance with, as it is certainly NOT a permanent structure.

As for attaching stuff to your own place, I agree with ARtraveler....your stooping to their level, and wouldn’t do that. No telling how far they will go. Work with the City on this. jmho

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not "new work". It's a portable/temporary "shed".
    Understood but those that can pay must pay seems to be whats happening where you live.Behind the scenes the economy is on a precipice, if these are to be the sheds of the future the authorities will tax them.You seem to be unfortunate enough to be a first victim of the sort of crap that comes with a meltdown.

190606095540-06-la-homelessness-exlarge-169.jpg
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Monk, first off, I would go to the city office and ask what code and what part it is not in compliance with, as it is certainly NOT a permanent structure.
    They're sending me a letter outlining what codes I'm allegedly violating. I think they tried to deliver it today but I wasn't home to sign for it. (I got a tag on my door.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Understood but those that can pay must pay seems to be whats happening where you live.Behind the scenes the economy is on a precipice, if these are to be the sheds of the future the authorities will tax them.You seem to be unfortunate enough to be a first victim of the sort of crap that comes with a meltdown.

190606095540-06-la-homelessness-exlarge-169.jpg
    It's not taxes they say I owe. If that were the case, this would be simple if not aggravating. The city is claiming my shed is violating some code(s) and they're saying I need to take it down. The bigger issue is that the same person who told me a few months ago I could put it up is the same one who's now telling I have to take it down.

Spyder Garage

They're sending me a letter outlining what codes I'm allegedly violating. I think they tried to deliver it today but I wasn't home to sign for it. (I got a tag on my door.)

It's not taxes they say I owe. If that were the case, this would be simple if not aggravating. The city is claiming my shed is violating some code(s) and they're saying I need to take it down. The bigger issue is that the same person who told me a few months ago I could put it up is the same one who's now telling I have to take it down.
    If the same person that said yes is now say no, simply gather your written correspondence and present it to your city officials. If it was all simply verbal communication, I guess buy your sticker kit and apply graphics to your house.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like your house Monk, right cute. Sadly, you know how politics go, bureaucrats will hound you forever if the 'folks in charge with the power' don't like your program. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

As I mentioned in another post, I put up one of those Shed-In-A-Boxes to use as a garage a few months ago (with the city Planning Directors blessing). Now, the same city Planning Directors says it's out of code and I have to remove it or get a daily $200 fine. (They sent the registered letter today but I wasn't home to receive it.)
    And if you don't pay it, those SOB's attach a lien on your house so that you can not sell it until the lien is paid in full. Oftentimes with penalty fees added on. Ya just can't fight City Hall.
    Good Luck Brother.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

People. Can just be a$$hat$, and you are probably right on what happened.
    I think I would find out which code it is in violation of, and when that code changed.
    If I knew for sure who did it, I think I’d go talk to them... or maybe I’d rip their head off and crap in their neck .... not sure.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Were you planning on keeping up year long? There is a code for temporary shelter's?

If was on dirt it would be ok. But since its on a concrete slab , that may have provoked the removal notice too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Were you planning on keeping up year long? There is a code for temporary shelter's?

If was on dirt it would be ok. But since its on a concrete slab , that may have provoked the removal notice too.
    Same here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    And if you don't pay it, those SOB's attach a lien on your house so that you can not sell it until the lien is paid in full. Oftentimes with penalty fees added on. Ya just can't fight City Hall.
    Good Luck Brother.
    Carol Brady said you could but I'm not her. Hadn't thought about a lien.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    People. Can just be a$$hat$, and you are probably right on what happened.
    I think I would find out which code it is in violation of, and when that code changed.
    If I knew for sure who did it, I think I’d go talk to them... or maybe I’d rip their head off and crap in their neck .... not sure.
    I have no intention of talking to them and, yes. Most people are asshats. I don't think any code changed. I think the lady (and I use that term loosely) just doesn't know her job.

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

I specifically told the Planning Director exactly where it would be positioned and that I wasn't planning on moving it. My house is an unusual house in town. Most people know exactly where it is and what it looks like. She said she knew the house well.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see it is sitting on concrete. Is it anchored to the concrete? If so, that could be one problem. That makes it a permanently installed structure which obviously does not meet the building standards for a permanent structure. Get a couple of 4 x 4s and anchor the garage to them, and let them sit unattached on the concrete. Then you can argue it is temporary. And that there may be the problem. Your code may have a time limit as to how long a temporary structure can remain in place, or maybe it doesn't meet the requirements for an allowed temporary shed or similar.

The big problem, as I see it, it is not made of solid durable material and it is visible from the street. Too bad you can't hide it behind the house, or can you?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The big problem, as I see it, it is not made of solid durable material and it is visible from the street. Too bad you can't hide it behind the house, or can you?
    I'd say the fact that it's NOT made of "solid durable material" would make someone lean towards temporary as opposed to permanent. It can be visible from the street as far as I know. I can't put it behind the house. I'd have no way to get the bike to/from the shed.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see it is sitting on concrete. Is it anchored to the concrete? If so, that could be one problem. That makes it a permanently installed structure which obviously does not meet the building standards for a permanent structure. Get a couple of 4 x 4s and anchor the garage to them, and let them sit unattached on the concrete.
    The above is what I am guessing also. Had a similar situation happen to my neighbor. But by mounting his storage building to some large timbers, it was declared temporary and movable, so he was able to keep it. I would possibly check on that to see if it would work. Suck that they want to bother you at all. But for some reason, I thought you were out of city limits.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The above is what I am guessing also. Had a similar situation happen to my neighbor. But by mounting his storage building to some large timbers, it was declared temporary and movable, so he was able to keep it. I would possibly check on that to see if it would work. Suck that they want to bother you at all. But for some reason, I thought you were out of city limits.
    I'll see if that might work although I'd hate to have wood sitting on the ground, soaking up rain. PT wood is hard to come by these days but if that's what it takes, so be it. I'd hope the weight of a couple 10' long 4x4s would be enough to keep the wind from moving it. It'll look worse but that's what some nosy busybody gets for getting into my business.

I wish I lived outside of town. My next house WILL be.

Spyder Garage

I'll see if that might work although I'd hate to have wood sitting on the ground, soaking up rain. PT wood is hard to come by these days but if that's what it takes, so be it. I'd hope the weight of a couple 10' long 4x4s would be enough to keep the wind from moving it. It'll look worse but that's what some nosy busybody gets for getting into my business.

I wish I lived outside of town. My next house WILL be.
    If you can't readily get your hands on PT wood then go for Redwood or Cedar. Both are good alternatives to PT, actually even better.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can't readily get your hands on PT wood then go for Redwood or Cedar. Both are good alternatives to PT, actually even better.
    I can't even imagine how much a 12' redwood or cedar 4x4 would be.

Spyder Garage

I'd try to lay my hands on some railroad ties.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go take it from the neighbor that complained

Spyder Garage

I can't even imagine how much a 12' redwood or cedar 4x4 would be.
    Actually, redwood is not much different than PT, at least on Lowes.com. 4 x 4 x 12 might not be readily available but 2 x 4s are, so nail two 2 x 4s together.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just checked the prices (@ Lowe's since that's where I work). Not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll have to see if that makes a difference. If so, I'll see what I can do. The funny thing is, if that takes care of the problem, it'll look WORSE which will piss the neighbors off that much more. Not my problem at that point but still funny. Of course, that may not be the solution after all. We'll see.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got my letter today. Basically, it says I'm f***ed. It talks about "sheds" and "permanent and temporary", "fixed or moveable". In addition, it says there has to be a minimum of 10' between the structure and the house. All of this means not only do I have to get rid of my "garage" but I also have to get rid of my little storage shed (which happens to be packed full of "stuff" including a lawnmower and a couple window air conditioners). Even if I were to put that behind the house, I'd need a permit. I'm going to see what an attorney will charge to look this over to see if there's anything I can do (that won't take a ton of money, which I don't have) but I have until 4.20.21 to remove both sheds. If I don't, the penalties are thus: $50/first day, $100/2nd day, $250/third day and $500 for each add'l day. I'm not even sure I can get an appt with an attorney in the next month let alone accomplish something. No idea why this hag has such a hardon for me when just a few months ago she basically gave it her blessing. I've lived here for 3 years and nobody has said a word about my little garden shed. I don't even know what I'd do with all the stuff I have in it. I have a small house (525sqft) and there's no way I could store everything in the house even if it were all clean enough to bring it inside.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Again, basically, I'm f***ed. I give up.