Thread: Maiden voyage

Spyder Garage

Default Maiden voyage

OK, that's a misleading title. It wasn't much of a voyage.

It's warm enough today, with the roads actually dry (not to say clean), so I took my new-to-me 2016 F3-S out for a half-mile run up and down my street. First ride! She was delivered to my house in mid-December, just one day before we got a 24-inch-deep snowfall.

Handles very nicely. I'm optimistic about the settings of both handlebar and floorboards, which were changed to fit me better, and I'm even more optimistic about the Corbin saddle that came with the machine.

My only concern is that the engine ran roughly. There was noticeable surging under acceleration, even in neutral after I pulled back into my garage.

The machine was delivered to me with a half-full tank, and I had no opportunity to top it up before winter arrived with a vengeance. All I could do was add fuel stabilizer, run the engine a bit while parked, and hope for the best.

So my hope/wish is that the roughness and surging are from the gas in the tank having suffered over the winter. Time and miles will tell, I guess, but I'd be pretty unhappy to have to take the thing in already for service and trouble-shooting.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think your right about the fuel. If you just run it down as soon as you can and refill with fresh fuel and sta-bil you will be good to go. Half tank of fuel with cold weather will make for some condensation in the fuel, but with the stabilizer you should be ok. On the new to you F3. Hopefully you will get some good weather next week.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It may only be a fuel issue, but you may want to also check that all vacuum lines are intact.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

One other possibility... How long did you let it warm up before you drove your 1/2 mile. If you didn't let it warm up very long and than only drove that short distance the engine may not have warmed up. You can feel surging until the engine is warmed up a little.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    One other possibility... How long did you let it warm up before you drove your 1/2 mile. If you didn't let it warm up very long and than only drove that short distance the engine may not have warmed up. You can feel surging until the engine is warmed up a little.
    Your point is a good one, Michaelscs.

Now that I think about it, I did not let it warm up much at all before I took it out. Maybe 30 seconds, which isn't much for the year's first ride. (I was kinda eager.)

Will try again tomorrow, and be more careful about this. Thank you for the advice!
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

woodswoman where in upstate ny . schenecadty here
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    OK, that's a misleading title. It wasn't much of a voyage.

It's warm enough today, with the roads actually dry (not to say clean), so I took my new-to-me 2016 F3-S out for a half-mile run up and down my street. First ride! She was delivered to my house in mid-December, just one day before we got a 24-inch-deep snowfall.

Handles very nicely. I'm optimistic about the settings of both handlebar and floorboards, which were changed to fit me better, and I'm even more optimistic about the Corbin saddle that came with the machine.

My only concern is that the engine ran roughly. There was noticeable surging under acceleration, even in neutral after I pulled back into my garage.

The machine was delivered to me with a half-full tank, and I had no opportunity to top it up before winter arrived with a vengeance. All I could do was add fuel stabilizer, run the engine a bit while parked, and hope for the best.

So my hope/wish is that the roughness and surging are from the gas in the tank having suffered over the winter. Time and miles will tell, I guess, but I'd be pretty unhappy to have to take the thing in already for service and trouble-shooting.
    OMG your a better man than me!! Sitting in the shop with a new ride and not be able to ride it till now, it must have been painful. First day the roads were bear, I would have got in my snowmobile suit and off I would have gone!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

One more thing to check. Sounds a bit funny but I run mine when snow is in fields but dry roads sometimes mid 20’s as long as there’s no salt. I’m in the snow belt area just west of NY line. Hold the eco button in till eco turns off. In the winter let it run for 3-4 minutes before I even put in drive. Mines in a heated garage though. I have close to 900 miles on in last 3 weeks. Every morning to work mid 20’s home mid 40’s and sun. Should be good for you this week. 60’s this week.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    woodswoman where in upstate ny . schenecadty here
    Hello to you in Schenectady! I'm in the Greene County Catskills -- about 10 minutes from Hunter Mountain.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    OMG your a better man than me!! Sitting in the shop with a new ride and not be able to ride it till now, it must have been painful. First day the roads were bear, I would have got in my snowmobile suit and off I would have gone!!
    Yes, it's been painful. I really hoped I could get in a few minutes of saddle time back when I bought it, but the weather had other ideas.

I purchased it from a dealership in Rutland, Vermont (4+ hours away), and I had it delivered. The next day, wham! We got a big snowstorm. <Sigh>

The roads are filthy here even now. I'll be getting the Spyder dirty going anywhere with it.

One cool thing about the Spyder, though: No chance of a low-side slide on the sand! My 2-wheeler will be in the garage until the town sweeps the streets, probably another month from now.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

SeaFoam for the win! Put some in the tank, then took a 45 mile ride. Within about 5 or 6 miles, the surging disappeared, and the rest of the trip was nice and smoooth.

Thanks for the reassurance and advice, folks. Much appreciated.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

You can make your own heated clothing and grips! Here's how:
    to see MY HEATED STUFF PAGE
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey