Spyder Garage

Default Tilting Ryker????

This could work.....

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Now that body and brain are reprogrammed to a non tilting machine and liking it, I don't know it I want to go back to counter steering and leaning. But there may be many out there who might think it a good compromise.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I'd wonder about tire wear. The Ryker rubber is designed to stay flat on the road, and you're putting a lot more stress on the sidewalls. I know the tires on my Ural are NOT recommended for use on anything other than a sidecar rig ...
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The answer to a question that was never asked seriously. Consider the Equa-Lean from many years back. Mostly they are proof of concept,
    but no one ever actually wanted one in enough numbers to make it a going concern.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It would be very difficult to out-corner a stock Ryker, much less one with 400mm front shocks/full length springs on tight round abouts / traffic circles.
    The stock set-up is great for a quick right, then quick left.
    Kyle Canyon, Mount Charleston round about.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

More speed possible than with my Moto Guzzi V7II or Yamaha XT250 or Honda CB1100.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

This would seem to be an example of just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    I'd wonder about tire wear. The Ryker rubber is designed to stay flat on the road, and you're putting a lot more stress on the sidewalls. I know the tires on my Ural are NOT recommended for use on anything other than a sidecar rig ...
    Tyres pictured look like motorcycle Metzler Marathons to me.Big step up from stock.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Tyres pictured look like motorcycle Metzler Marathons to me.Big step up from stock.
    I was just about to post the same observation ...... those tires are not AUTO ( or Ryker ) tires ..... and they are not a " step up " imho ..... there is a lot less tire contact " footprint " with those .... and I don't care if it NOW can LEAN during turning ..... I would bet serious money that a Ryker with Auto tire would run rings around that modified suspension Ryker ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Looks like this is a one-man start-up operation. He is based in Chandler, AZ. which is about 10 miles from me. The roads ridden in the video are roads I have been on many times. So now y'all know what it's like riding here in Arizona..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

It is about the same distance from me in Mesa. We ought to get together one of these days. I just got back from a ride up to Summerhaven (top of Mt Lemon). About 320 miles round trip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I was just about to post the same observation ...... those tires are not AUTO ( or Ryker ) tires ..... and they are not a " step up " imho ..... there is a lot less tire contact " footprint " with those .... and I don't care if it NOW can LEAN during turning ..... I would bet serious money that a Ryker with Auto tire would run rings around that modified suspension Ryker ...... Mike
    Ok I'll take that bet Mike but if I'm right you can keep your money, no one takes that currency seriously any more
    Not sure about the Metzlers but consider a dual compound motorcycle tyre like Avon Cobras with sticky edges doing their thing. Should take care of the bigfoot advantage.
    Anyone with a Ryker and a g force app a measurement would be great if you could post it.If so I'll contact Tilting Trikes for same.
    Gorilla in the room could be nanny not pulling the pin early due to wheel lift Mike (now I've got him nervous)
    If I'm full of crap I'll buy a Tri Glide and never go over 50 again. Deal?

2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Doesn't it look like the wheels are all tilted but the body and seat are parallel to the ground?
    I don't think counter steering ever comes into play since that's a function of balancing on two wheels.
    2019 Rally , BLACK

Spyder Garage

Counter steering only gets involved when you lift the inside wheel on a trike - Then you do a quick mental review of how a two wheeler works, and hopefully pass the test ...
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Ok I'll take that bet Mike but if I'm right you can keep your money, no one takes that currency seriously any more
    Not sure about the Metzlers but consider a dual compound motorcycle tyre like Avon Cobras with sticky edges doing their thing. Should take care of the bigfoot advantage.
    Anyone with a Ryker and a g force app a measurement would be great if you could post it.If so I'll contact Tilting Trikes for same.
    Gorilla in the room could be nanny not pulling the pin early due to wheel lift Mike (now I've got him nervous)
    If I'm full of crap I'll buy a Tri Glide and never go over 50 again. Deal?

If you have an Android or I phone you can get an app for g-force monitoring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHTundra View Post
    Doesn't it look like the wheels are all tilted but the body and seat are parallel to the ground?
    I don't think counter steering ever comes into play since that's a function of balancing on two wheels.
    I agree whole heartedly in that you do the job, you do the whole job properly and this is a compromise. There is a little counter steering only the amount you can shift the CoG while they are limiting by not rolling the body.