Spyder Garage

Default Switching to LED headlights this weekend

I bought LaMonster LED headlights and plan on installing them this weekend. I watched (many times) the videos from LaMonster and Slingmods on installation steps. I have an 2017 F3-Limited, any advice or gotchas to look out for? I installed fog lights a couple of weeks ago, that was easy. This requires a significant amount of panel removal. If possible, I would like to learn from someone else mistake. I am expecting it to take 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Good luck Jim. I am thinking about the same headlight change out having done the fog light install recently also. Anxious to hear how it goes.

Spyder Garage

Following. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

We had a set of Lamonsters LED "fog" lights installed on Linda's F3L yesterday. They are really bright. I read somewhere that the OEM (2020) headlights were also supposed to be LED's. Compared to the new Lamonster LED "fog" lights, the headlights are like night and day. The headlights look like the old style to me. Our build date for the 2020 was 1/20. That may have something to do with the discrepancy.

EDIT: Looking at the close up of the side by side F3's, (2019, 2020), they both have NON LED headlights in them.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-20-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Really excited to post - installation complete and not so bad. It took me about 1.5 hours to install, the most time consuming part was swapping out the lights. The wire harness/ring which holds the bulb in place was difficult to remove and then reattach.

So some tips I learned today to help someone in the future.

1) Putting the lights headlights back in place can be tricky unless you start by pushing in the outside first, then the end towards the middle section.
    2) The piece LaMonster warns about that is difficult I removed nearly by mistake and thought I broke the plastic tabs. I thought the bar of soap was coming to my mouth after it popped out. The trick to getting this one out seemed to be (after removing the pins) to start from the front and pull/push outward. I was trying to get it out of my way when it popped out. Remove this it will make the installation much better.
    3) When putting things back on, the "tricky" piece should be next after the headlights go in.
    4) Things go back on much easier then they come off.

It is really not bad, and the great thing is you learn more about your machine - what is under the panel, how to take things off. I also got a chance to make sure things are on correctly. Finally, there is the satisfaction of knowing I did it.

The LED headlights are much brighter, but I do not see a huge difference between low and high beam. The LED fog lights I installed make MORE of a difference for illuminating the road. They are simply outstanding and really easy to put in. Do not be intimidated. I an hoping I get to the point of oil changes and basic maintenance.

I am kicking around Glo Lights as my next add-on. I read mixed reviews about them and how bright they really are.

Jim