Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Pulley- No Kluber Grease from factory

681C7CAC-68CA-4F9A-87BF-46F33272D6ED.jpg2019 F3L. 6000 miles, purchased 3/2020
    Checked and replaced my front pulley today, discovered rust starting on splines....no real trace of assembly lube.....glad I checked it!
    97E54A8E-B90F-49D0-AE9B-83D3A87BAC6C.jpg5B27791A-32D8-4EA1-8594-149874453D66.jpgCBAA3FF7-4FF3-4FD9-A5B4-CA0EAE6C1979.jpg
    C2EB05A5-BA98-42AE-8992-0B4B64965DDD.jpg
    Look at last sentence....from 2020 F3 &RT updates
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Did you run your rag in the spline bore and see the paste wipe away. Pretty sure there is a slight trace on the splines ends. It looks like white grease.

True spline lube does a better job, and yes, I know Kluber recommends that stuff for splines, but must be for low loads since it simply does not hold up.

Any decent moly lube paste will work well. Some have recommended pastes with a high percentage. My opinion is you should be fine with brand name products containing a reasonable amount of moly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Did you run your rag in the spline bore and see the paste wipe away. Pretty sure there is a slight trace on the splines ends. It looks like white grease.

True spline lube does a better job, and yes, I know Kluber recommends that stuff for splines, but must be for low loads since it simply does not hold up.

Any decent moly lube paste will work well. Some have recommended pastes with a high percentage. My opinion is you should be fine with brand name products containing a reasonable amount of moly.
    I used Honda Assembly Paste......it seems like good stuff.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I used Honda Assembly Paste......it seems like good stuff.
    Honda stuff is relabeled MolyKote. I think #77, same as what Honda calls it.

Yes, a very good product for lubricating drive splines.

Like engine oil, spline lube does not last forever. Since the task is not difficult, I suggest you check the condition at around 14,000 miles then at the 28,000 heavy maintenance event. You may find the point of how frequently to relube vs how many miles per year you ride.

You were smart to do the inspection and proper lube well before any external indicators of wear show up. Essentially by the time red dust appears externally, the pulley is trashed, and possibly the shaft splines are worn also. Fretting is a serious destructive wear type corrosion, seldom seen or understood except by persons with experience seeing, inspection repairing and maintaining assemblies where it occurrs.