Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Spyder Garage

I want to thank the community here for the heads up that this model was coming. I convinced, albeit difficult, Martha to hold out for a touring version. My excuses seem to be quelled.

I can't wait to see her smile.
    "For a boy, it was a kind of paradise. I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Yes, especially on the RTS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smylinacha
    OK, don't bash me here but if I wanted all that for that kind of money, I'd buy a car. There's no "bikeness" left to it.

I think Roaddog said something like "Goldwingy Thingy"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon
    Too much junk in that trunk. The front is nice but the back makes it look like an ATV missing a wheel. Don't bash me either

Car price too, but at least you would not look funny like you would wearing a helmet in a Mazda Miata.
    3WD

I agree. It is just a matter of our tastes (or lack of it). But, I don't think they made these for me (or for any of my buds above). Really, I have to see them in person, in the video, the RTS looked like it was floating - riding anti-gravity rails. Flying low, fast & safe. That is film, but I think that is what a lot of people who don't have Spyders will see too. And just like the 08 & 09s do, they will promise stability and the protection and familiarity of having two wheels in front of you. Style, comfort, safety, control - out of the box.

I would guess, the basic RT will grow into our next Spyder in a year or two. Different gear box, bigger engine, very sporty.

The mid RT, will appeal to our tweaker sides*. Add-ons ( or farkles ) galore to make your own version of the RTS. Go ahead, put on a handbrake, different bags, pegs, risers, etc. [* quoted from Dochands ]

There is nothing super revolutionary new to them - nothing we have not seen on other bikes, so, I am guessing the technology should be pretty bullet-proof and manageable. The unique Spyder electronics will continue to improve and besides the "180 degrees from the ordinary trike", it will continue to stand out from the crowd in technology. And, a plus for us current Spyder riders, nothing here obsoleted what we own.

I hope they got the platform right. I hope it feels good when people get on it. I hope the riding ergonomics are there. I hope the ride experience comes through. It will be interesting test riding one. For us riders with Spyder experience, it will be especially interesting.

I do agree with Dudley, for me they hit a 4 out of 10. But, I couldn't be happier with my Spyder. But, for the over all market, I think they hit an 8 or 9 out of 10. And in a few years when we start getting the itch to trade up, I think we should have some very nice choices to make.

After sleeping on it, I also like the idea that they are not playing in the big engine race. I am no engine expert, but 1000cc should be enough. Most engines over this leave a lot of power on the table, wasted. I would rather have an efficient and responsive power system from the engine to the final drive. More CCs in most cases is just sloppy engineering and wasteful - pretty similar to software bloat and chip speed in the computer world.

Tom
    well said

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    It's kind of sad that some of the Spyder guys are dissing the RT.
    It's not the Sport version and wasn't meant to be. I think they hit a Home Run with the RT and it's being received very well by the one group that I thought would really be dissing it.

It's not a Goldwing but it may be it's 3 wheeled brother
    sorry you took offense man. wasnt really dissin....just saying I dont like the looks. Opinions make the world go around right?

Its all good.............

Spyder Garage

I think BRP hit a home run with the RT for sure! At present, it's the $$$$ that will keep me away. I do feel however, that it is reasonably priced when you consider what other loaded touring bikes are priced at like the gold wings, BMW's and full dressed harley's as examples. The RT will appeal to the touring crowd that want to travel in comfort. The folks who like to have a more sport like ride will still have that with the RS. I just think it's greast that BRP is expanding the Spyder lineup with more choices that will appeal to a broader group of riders. I can certainly see myself with a RT and trailer package in the future. For now I'm just having a lot of fun with my red SM5.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have mixed emotions. I purchased my SE5 three months ago. Stuck with payments for the next 60 months...when I'll turn 72. Now I get to see the new Spyders, priced out of my range, by a number of factors. I'm sure the folks who can afford the shiny new Spyders will love them, but I feel like the Forbidden Fruit has dropped out of my hand. It's a bitter taste.
    Happy SE5 Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another homer! When I viewed the SM5 two years ago, it didn't take but a few seconds to realize where they were headed. But I didn't think one would be in our garage until SpyderDeb made her decision to go with the SE5.

I've got an '07 Ultra - 96 cu in, 6-speed. I'm in this for miles of floor-board scraping smiles. Her SE5 will out run my Ultra including the straights sections and through most of the turns. But the seat comfort and seating posture just would not allow for decent long range riding.

The RT may not for everyone, just those who dream of making the epic journeys with long miles. I can't wait to see one up close....

I've again heard the crack of the bat and the ball is sailing high and fast out of the park!

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 09-03-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added missing words
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    I have mixed emotions. I purchased my SE5 three months ago. Stuck with payments for the next 60 months...when I'll turn 72. Now I get to see the new Spyders, priced out of my range, by a number of factors. I'm sure the folks who can afford the shiny new Spyders will love them, but I feel like the Forbidden Fruit has dropped out of my hand. It's a bitter taste.
    Yes, it can feel that way. I am sure there are people who look at your Spyder and feel the same thing - that they missed an opportunity, instead of that cruise, we should have . . . . Opportunity may only knock once, but you can usually chase it down the block, grab it and drag it back into your life no matter how much it kicks and screams.

So if you feel that strongly about getting a RTS, you have the years of experience to make it happen. If you had the money today, it would still be months(?) before you would have your new bike. From what Lamont said, they are not in even production yet. But you do have your Spyder now - enjoy every thing about it you can, now.

It seems a shame to waste today for something that does not quite exist yet.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

True...very true...
    Happy SE5 Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Better than a Wing?

Quote Originally Posted by gamhugo View Post

I rode the RT yesterday and let me tell you is not a GOLDWING, it is much, much better. for all GS owners it is truly a totally different bike and do not know it until your throw a leg over the RT.

The features are great and to have a trailer that comes with a 2 yr warranty same as the RT, can't beat it. If you add a trailer to any other bike warranty is voided. With the RT not the case, they designed the RT with the trailer in mind and works with VSS, Retail on these trailer probably around $4000.

The new GS is now the RS and the WHITE limited edition looks pretty good.

RT DEMO units will be arriving into dealer in Oct. and I heard the CORP truck will be rolling soon.

I will say they just re-invented this segment, opening the market even more to non motorcycle riders.
    REALLY----Different maybe.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    Think positive:

Somebody gave you credit at 67!

You get to ride a Spyder for at least 6 months before being able to put your hands on a new one

Your current Spyder looks cooler that the new ones to many

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

So many inputs, so many differences. Two things come to mind about the RT: some of us, just some, probably not many, do not want or will use extra electricals. The basic model needs to have an optional SE5. We are of the few, but Kjen and I don't have any extras in electronics. Only one color in the basic model is not enough. That puts a buyer in a position of get the Spyder, hate the color, or buy up with color options. True, many have painted their Spyders after the purchase, but...some still just want to stay simple. We have our Spyder done to our comfort needs, and after our 13,624 mile journey, the needs worked to a "T". I can't think of anything we could have changed to make it more comfortable. We are the few.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    So many inputs, so many differences. Two things come to mind about the RT: some of us, just some, probably not many, do not want or will use extra electricals...
    BRP must have been studying Honda on this. Not sure if it's still true, but at one point, if you wanted ABS on a Goldwing, you had to buy a package with other non-essential stuff. So... instead of, let's say, $1,000 for ABS, you paid $2,500 for the package.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    BRP must have been studying Honda on this. Not sure if it's still true, but at one point, if you wanted ABS on a Goldwing, you had to buy a package with other non-essential stuff. So... instead of, let's say, $1,000 for ABS, you paid $2,500 for the package.

Yep, and Honda probably learned it from the car manufacturers. Have you tried to buy a car with crank windows lately? No, you get power windows, power locks, cruise, and more with the "convenience package", just because you wanted the cruise control. The've got us right where the want us. If we bought an RT, we would not need the audio, or the passenger comforts (seems my wife has her own ride), yet I found myself talking to the dealer about an RT-S today. I love the black, and desire a PE and PE trailer, and the high end is the only way to get one. Talk me down someone...please!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yep, and Honda probably learned it from the car manufacturers. Have you tried to buy a car with crank windows lately? No, you get power windows, power locks, cruise, and more with the "convenience package", just because you wanted the cruise control. The've got us right where the want us. If we bought an RT, we would not need the audio, or the passenger comforts (seems my wife has her own ride), yet I found myself talking to the dealer about an RT-S today. I love the black, and desire a PE and PE trailer, and the high end is the only way to get one. Talk me down someone...please!
    Oh Scotty, you have it bad. Now you have to fit not only a second spyder into that garage but The RT with a trailer. You may have to extend the front of your garage with some of that canvas and aluminum pipe style stuff. That way you get coverage and you beat the inspectors with building code violations. See, you can call it temporary.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

... Talk me down someone...please!
    Step back from the puter, Scotty. Take a deep breath. And, imagine a year from now when you won't pay list++ for the RT... like you probably did for the GS.

Think of the 26 little, one-ounce gold bars you can buy now.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Oh Scotty, you have it bad. Now you have to fit not only a second spyder into that garage but The RT with a trailer. You may have to extend the front of your garage with some of that canvas and aluminum pipe style stuff. That way you get coverage and you beat the inspectors with building code violations. See, you can call it temporary.
    Yes, I have it bad......and my dear wife is hardly being the voice of reason. I may have to go back on the narcotics to knock me out enough to get this darned thing out of my mind. It hurts to be in love...

Already discussed putting up another shed, ala Tatt2r. Talked of storage in the trailer for the short run, too. This has become too serious. Like I said...salted peanuts. This thing is absolutely addicting!

-Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I'm no help to you Scotty. I'm cheering you on in your desire for an RT-S.

You really deserve one.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default Well, I think you are in EXCELLENT company . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    So many inputs, so many differences. Two things come to mind about the RT: some of us, just some, probably not many, do not want or will use extra electricals. The basic model needs to have an optional SE5. We are of the few, but Kjen and I don't have any extras in electronics. Only one color in the basic model is not enough. That puts a buyer in a position of get the Spyder, hate the color, or buy up with color options. True, many have painted their Spyders after the purchase, but...some still just want to stay simple. We have our Spyder done to our comfort needs, and after our 13,624 mile journey, the needs worked to a "T". I can't think of anything we could have changed to make it more comfortable. We are the few.
    Count me among the few. ( I suppose we also have to include 3wheeledmom, too. [sorry, inside joke] ) Yup, I am satisfied and still thrilled with my Spyder. Actually, every time I take it out I enjoy it more.
    The RT is just more than I need and most of that 'more' would get in the way of what I enjoy and deliver 'less'

There is a lot to like on them, but I think you make some good points about the basic color, but they will probably fix that when it goes into production. Yes, too much electronics for me too. On Kjen's log of your trip, I really agreed with her take on communication sets. The last thing I want to do when I am riding (or driving) is talk to someone. There are some nice things on the RTs like air adjusted shocks, and I like that glove box, but, I can tweak a few things, spend a couple bucks and I will be there with my Spyder. My two big electronic gizmos are missing from the RT, tire pressure/temp monitoring and heated seats.

Maybe it is us, the kind of people who love living in the desert - the RTs are just not for us - give us the simple life. ( 3wheeldemon is another case entirely )

I do think they are great machines. They look like they are well thought out, designed and executed. They are going to deliver lots of miles to lots of people. Well, there are enough roads to go around - I am looking forward to seeing them out there.

So, Scotty . . . . L'amour, L'amour, L'amour
    Yes, I have it bad......and my dear wife is hardly being the voice of reason. I may have to go back on the narcotics to knock me out enough to get this darned thing out of my mind. It hurts to be in love...

This has become too serious. Like I said...salted peanuts. This thing is absolutely addicting!
    I can see where this could work for you - where it actually makes sense. You have done so much on two wheels, maybe this is the time to move to three. You and Nancy have wonderful friends down just about every road - and more new ones waiting to meet you. An RTS would get you there. Of course, you could just sit at home and we will visit ( I hope to finally really meet you at the end of October ), but that does not sound like the two of you yet.
    Ah . . . L'amour, L'amour, L'amour of the road.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Already discussed putting up another shed, ala Tatt2r. Talked of storage in the trailer for the short run, too. This has become too serious. Like I said...salted peanuts. This thing is absolutely addicting!

do it scotty ... we need a tech to own one if something goes wrong ..... you owe it to all of the spyder lovers who buy the RT to get one for yourself
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Oh tatt2r!! You ought to get an award of an "Enabler of the Highest Order" for that one!!!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I'm no help to you Scotty. I'm cheering you on in your desire for an RT-S.

You really deserve one.
    Well, you're about as much help as my dear, sweet wife (not as pretty, though ). Somebody please reason with me...please!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    I can see where this could work for you - where it actually makes sense. You have done so much on two wheels, maybe this is the time to move to three. You and Nancy have wonderful friends down just about every road - and more new ones waiting to meet you. An RTS would get you there. Of course, you could just sit at home and we will visit ( I hope to finally really meet you at the end of October ), but that does not sound like the two of you yet.
    Ah . . . L'amour, L'amour, L'amour of the road.

Tom
    I'm not so sure it makes any sense. I am on a fixed income, own 23 motorcycles counting Nancy's Spyder, prefer vintage motorcycles, I don't particularly like to live out of a suitcase, and have no need to ride double anymore. I do not understand the strong pull, but it does seem to tug at my heartstrings. We'll see what develops.

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    do it scotty ... we need a tech to own one if something goes wrong ..... you owe it to all of the spyder lovers who buy the RT to get one for yourself
    What's Lamont, chopped liver?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, I say GO FOR IT! Spend it like you got it, you sure can't take it with you in the next life!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I happen to really like the RT. Well, I may be biased because I also like the look of the GW. Hubby and I have been talking about the RT nonstop. Comparing and just discussing. Can't afford a new bike right now, but I can dream. Can't wait to see them for Biketoberfest in October. I really hope some of the parts could be made to fit the '08 and '09 ST models. That would be the next best thing until I could afford the RT.
    Joyce
    happy owner

Spyder Garage

Default RT FEVER

Scotty: Go for it. If it is what you want, and can afford it, get it. Life is getting shorter all the time. When the engine options come out, use the same philosophy and get that too. Now if I could only convenience myself of that.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING