Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What trailer for getting Spyder home from a far away dealer?

I've found a spyder that I might go buy, 2 hrs away. Are there covered trailers that can haul the Spyder home? What size would I need and who rents them for a one way trip? Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2021 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Title & Sp

Spyder Garage

Weathers not right to ride it?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mikey, ride it home. If you rent a trailer the second most important thing after trailer fit is how you secure the Spyder and what kind of equipment you need buy/rent to do so; read the owners manual on how to secure it. Two hours is a short warm up ride. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

With as much rain a you guys have had in the last 2 weeks and little snow you’re salt if gone. Make a really nice lunch and get your wife or GF to drive you over. Then on way back stop for a packed lunch. Next week is suppose to be 60-70 and sun all week in mid and eastern PA. You need proof of insurance to purchase it for PA so the insurance company will cover it on the way back, so thats checked off. You get a temporary sticker for 90 days so thats checked off, just ride it home. The price of gas to haul it with more weight and the rental is easily cut in half if you drive a small car. Gas is now $3.25 in PA over here. 2 hours is nothing. You probably get a full tank for free so if your car gets 25-30 mpg and spyder gets 40 you just saved an entire tank of gas vs hauling at 10-12 mpg. Heck I just rode 2 hours yesterday and I’m in the snow belt area of PA and we still have snow on the ground in areas. You also said might buy. That means you rent a trailer drive 2 hours and decide you don’t want to buy now what...........You just rented and pulled a trailer for nothing. Take your gear and ride it back if you buy. If its used a quick stop any DMV for a plate when you notorized it. Prices are the same anywhere in the state and you’ll need to get one at some point.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Totally agree with the above responses. That's what we did when we bought Peggy's Spyder. It was located about
    150 miles away, so I rode it back with my great-granddaughter riding pillion. It was the first time I'd ever ridden a
    Spyder so I took about 15 miles to see how it went before she climbed on the back. Had a great time. However, the
    weather was great when we did that, so that makes a big difference.

If the weather cooperates, ride it.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I used a 7' by 16' enclosed trailer when I brought my Spyder home. I wanted to use a 6' by 12' enclosed trailer but the ramp was slightly narrow, the front wheels would have rode up on the edge of the drop down ramp and the cables for the ramp where in the way. This was in the dead of winter and 4 hours away. This trailer was setup for motorcycles and had plenty of floor tie downs. The cost was $135.00 for a weekend. I used the enclosed trailer on account of snowy and cold weather. I agree if the weather is fairly good I'd ride it. JMO.

Spyder Garage

I agree,ride it home. When I bought my Spyder in July 2020 I had never even ridden one except for the test ride. I was 2 hrs away from home with no trailer.I rode it home.
    I had not been on a motorcycle in over 30 yrs. But I knew I could do it and had confidence in the Spyder so I just did it. The 2 hr ryde home gave me time to get use to how the Spyder reacts to road conditions. The ryde was on state highways and Interstate. I am glad Idid. Just go for it.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everone is assuming the OP is able to ride it home....there has only been one reply to his question. Everyone else is giving their opinion of how to get ot home, not what size/type trailer to bring it home. I’ve NEVER trailered my Spyder so I can’t answer. I do agree on the best WAY to get it home, but that wasn’t the question.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    I've found a spyder that I might go buy, 2 hrs away. Are there covered trailers that can haul the Spyder home? What size would I need and who rents them for a one way trip? Thanks
    U-Haul dealers seem to be ubiquitous. A U-Haul dealer near the seller will be able to rent a suitable trailer and equipment to secure it. Thing is if you end up not buying the Spyder you won't spend the gas to pull an empty trailer 2 hours there and 2 hours back. If you do get the Spyder, haul it home and drop the trailer off at your nearest U-Haul store.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Back in April, 2013, I bought my first Spyder about 140 miles away. I took my Droptail trailer, fulling expecting to trailer it home. And at the time, I had maybe 10 miles on a Spyder and it was cold and rainy that day. I rode that baby home and have never looked back! 100,000 miles later and I'm still lov'n it.

Two hours is nothing. You'll be fine riding it home. Be sure to dress for the weather. And let us know what you do.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Everone is assuming the OP is able to ride it home....there has only been one reply to his question. Everyone else is giving their opinion of how to get ot home, not what size/type trailer to bring it home. I’ve NEVER trailered my Spyder so I can’t answer. I do agree on the best WAY to get it home, but that wasn’t the question.
    Trailer needs a not steep ramp 6' wide and a length of 10' and the ability to tie it down.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

is best, however do NOT trailer with a cover wind flutter will scuff paint any where cover touches Enclosed trailers can double as temp garage, rest as mentioned above. 6X10 will do it but without room for error. 7X12 however longer ramp is helpful to keep from being too steep, can & will high center if that happens. secure straps through the wheels AVOIDING drive sprocket on rear using just the rim. Can go over the fronts with strap in line with tire under fender, limits straps position & angles usually requires special hooks/mounts 3C031FDE-FC58-4920-8130-E1AF52CABCB1.png ride if you can
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2021 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Sp & fixed emoji's

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Where at in northeast Pa. I’ll ride it home for you. Saturday I’m riding 2and1/2 hours to get a back tire on. I also have a trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tying DOWN a spyder, particularly in an enclosed trailer, is nothing like tying down a two-wheeler. To start with, you need "D" rings or similar items secured to the floor of the trailer so you can safely secure your spyder to them to avoid doing any damage to it (the spyder). If you've never owned or had any experience with a spyder before, I suggest you find somebody who has and have them show you some of the do's and don'ts about trailering and tying down a spyder. For example; a spyder is 62 1/2" wide at the front tires and the nose of the spyder sticks out a good 6" in front of the wheels. So, you can, tie-down a spyder in a 6' wide enclosed trailer, but you may have to stand on your head to get it done, safely. And, that's just the start of it. Get some help, or wait for good weather and ride it home like has been suggested. Good luck and I know you'll love your spyder once you get it home. Uhaul rents enclosed trailers one-way.

Spyder Garage

I have a 7 by 12 with a complete fold out rear gate the owners manual explains how to attach tie downs

Spyder Garage

I have 7x14 enclosed trailer with a drop down ramp. I added "D" rings to the floor to have something for the tie downs. I run the tie downs thru the front wheels and the rear wheel and it holds it tight. I also have an open (no sides) 7x12 tilting bed trailer. I ride the Spyder up until the bed tilts back down. multiple places to hook the straps to.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This is how mine is coming to Maine from Florida. I hired a shipping company
    y4p9j53Qz.jpg
    20210311_181320271_iOS.heic.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    Where at in northeast Pa. I’ll ride it home for you. Saturday I’m riding 2and1/2 hours to get a back tire on. I also have a trailer
    thanks,, i live few miles south of binghamton,, still working on the wife, sold my polaris ranger with 9000.00 in my pocket,
    now working on selling my, 1500cc kawasaki vulcan classic, cant buy spyder till the bike sells... bike is on craigslist.. twin-tiers... bike is a 2007, 9000 miles. extras.. its like new condition... selling 2 toys to get a new spyder .. lol... im 63 yrs old and ready for 3 wheels...

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    U-Haul dealers seem to be ubiquitous. A U-Haul dealer near the seller will be able to rent a suitable trailer and equipment to secure it. Thing is if you end up not buying the Spyder you won't spend the gas to pull an empty trailer 2 hours there and 2 hours back. If you do get the Spyder, haul it home and drop the trailer off at your nearest U-Haul store.
    yea im looking at uhauls, dealers close to me dont have what i want, or i would buy close and ride it home.., im going to buy the F3-limited..

Spyder Garage

Check your local Tractor Supply store. The one near us has a 10 foot rental trailer that will fit a Spyder. Wish they would have had it when I bought mine and hauled it home from Lynchburg, VA. Had to get 12 foot landscape rental trailer.

Spyder Garage

heading to the dealer this morning,, cant pass up the deal, i will deal with getting it home after i buy it,,
    2020 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited Dark Edition Magma Red Metallic
    On Sale $22,499.00 Was $24,499.00.. insurance will be around 145.00 a yr..

Spyder Garage

If you decide to trailer it home - bigger the better. An open trailer will give you more tie down options, unless you have a enclosed trailer with tie downs installed. Bigger trailer gives you more room to get around bike and tie down properly. If you haven't already, download operators guide and read through "How to Transport the Vehicle". It's not rocket science and three ratchet straps will do it - no chains. Make sure Spyder is secure and stop a couple times throughout the trip to inspect straps and re-tighten if needed.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Have fun!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Have fun!!!
    thanks but not yet,, called dealer and said i was on my way, he said he would go pull it off the floor,, then called back and said it has a hold on it, for someone that is coming this morning also, but they have a trade in,, if they dont make a deal, then he said its mine... just my luck..lol