Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020+ RT REAR jacking point?

I want to clean the rear wheel on my 2021 RT. Not sure where a good jacking point is. I just need to get the rear wheel/tire off the ground enough to be able to spin the wheel.

(Yes. I know I can do this w/o jacking up the rear wheel but I'm too old and fat to lay on the ground, clean what I can, jump up and move the bike forward a foot, back on the ground and repeat a dozen times.)

Spyder Garage

Don't use the lower shock mount! The frame ends just in front of the rear shock mount and jacking from that rearmost point of the frame lifts the rear wheel nicely. Using the shock mount can bend the lower mounting bolt.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Do you need to unhook the leveling arm just asking because what I read on some other threads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I should have clarified. I have the base model with the manual suspension. No auto leveling but good question.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Do you need to unhook the leveling arm just asking because what I read on some other threads
    only if you take out the bolt to be able to take off belt. no applicable in base 2020 model
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Don't use the lower shock mount! The frame ends just in front of the rear shock mount and jacking from that rearmost point of the frame lifts the rear wheel nicely. Using the shock mount can bend the lower mounting bolt.
    Actually I always use the the REAR shock mount to lift the rear on my RT ..... however first I place a piece of wood - that's wider than the spread of the shock mounting TABS onto the jack and then raise the Spyder ..... This way NO strain is put on the lower schock Bolt, and it makes it way easier to remove ... if that's my intent ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I also use the rear shock mount. I have jacked mine up that way dozens of times. No issues. Your luck may vary.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I follow the manufacturers directions to always lift by the frame never the shock mount.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Jacking does not bend the bolt. Consider the entire rear weight is supported on the bolt at all times. Even worse is more force is trying to bend the bolt with riders on board.

The bolt bends due to overloading the vehicle and bottoming the suspension, or simp,y the rear spring is too soft.

Jacking by the lower shock mount area can cause bending to the mounts if there is a side load applied.