Spyder Garage

Default Gasoline access from northern Indiana to Yellowstone Natl Park?

I'm making a 2 week loop from NJ to Devil's Tower, Deadwood, Yellowstone and Pikes Peak then back. My Sport Tourer got 50 mpg with 6+ gal tank so never had to worry about fuel. I have ~4k on the RT and I'm only getting ~30 mpg with lots of 70+ mph miles. I figure that's not going to improve when in the plains.

Do I need to carry a roto-pak 2gal or am I being paranoid?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Default Assuming you are riding the 2020 RT in the your profile

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm making a 2 week loop from NJ to Devil's Tower, Deadwood, Yellowstone and Pikes Peak then back. My Sport Tourer got 50 mpg with 6+ gal tank so never had to worry about fuel. I have ~4k on the RT and I'm only getting ~30 mpg with lots of 70+ mph miles. I figure that's not going to improve when in the plains.

Plan your route and plan on stopping for fuel before you hit 150 miles. If you ride faster than 65 mph or on the interstate or with a headwind that will be your max range.

If tooling along through the parks you can get 200 miles plus on your 1330 bike.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

You should not have any issues with gas stations more than 150 miles apart. Where your going is all well traveled. We always start looking for gas when the tank is about half full (or 150 miles on the clock) on our trips. Time to get off stretch and do whatever. Better to ride with a mostly full tank than to gamble with the empty symbol showing up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You wont have any issues but I would not pass up too many gas stations going across the plains of S. Dakota. You can usually hit every other one and still be under 150 miles.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

" We always start looking for gas when the tank is about half full"

Don't wait to fuel --- If you see a gas station sign and you're at 100 miles or 1/2 tank-- stop and filler up!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips! I usually stop every 2 hours on the long hauls. My riding buddy will have a 2 gal on his bike in case.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

The only thing I don't know about on your trip is Yellowstone, but I've done the rest in the last three years or so and you'll have no problems if you follow the gas up earlier than later routine. You're going to see some beautiful country.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoguzziman View Post
    You wont have any issues but I would not pass up too many gas stations going across the plains of S. Dakota. You can usually hit every other one and still be under 150 miles.
    Especially between Kadoka SD and Wall SD. Also nothing between Gillette WY and Buffalo WY
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I think one of the longest freeway sections in the US without a gas station is the 100+ miles heading west from Green River Utah, on I-70. What makes that one worse is the road climbs up over the mountains so gas mileage is much reduced. I'm sure you can find a route if you try on highways, not freeways, that has longer distances between fill ups (especially if smaller gas stations are closed at night), but I think most well traveled routes have gas stations closer together than 100 miles. You could plot the routes you are going to take using Google Maps or similar and then check the opening hours of gas stations in the truly remote areas, but I've never had a problem in these areas on a big thirsty bike with 150 to 200 miles in range. I live out here is Utah, and there is some pretty remote country, but I've never had a problem if you fill up when you can, not when you need to.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Cody has gas. There is a station about 20 miles before eastern Yellowstone. In the park the first major intersection has gas. Turn right , turn right into plaza and it on the left. That intersection is the figure 8 of the loops. There’s gas at all corners. (Canyon land, Old Faithful, Fishing Bridge, Grant Village, and Mammoth) get gas at faithful if your heading to Yellowstone Montana or to the Tetons. If your heading north out of beartooth there’s a station right there as you turn right heading out of the park. Fill up before you leave and you will have no problems to Jackson, Yellowstone, etc. you will never go over 45 inside the park so we fill up half day no matter what. Don’t expect to go fast anywhere there. We’ve gone many times and 2 years ago my wife and I said never again. It was so packed it was ridiculous. There’s gas at devils tower beside KOA. I recommend hitting Sheridan and take the 16 if not under construction. If it’s still ripped up going over the bighorns forget it. No way the spyder will make it. The ruts were 2 feet deep. My truck and toyhauler did not appreciate it but it is one of the best runs if it’s fixed. There’s a brand new huge station across from koa in Sheridan and one on the other side of the pass. Plenty of gas from Cheyenne and northern Colorado forests. Gas before the checkin and brake station before pikes peak. Fill at half tanks.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 04-20-2022 at 07:06 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips! I usually stop every 2 hours on the long hauls. My riding buddy will have a 2 gal on his bike in case.
    some have carried cans of “Tru-fuel” found at most hardware stores, lil pricy mostly various pre mix blends for two cycle engines. Can find some plain & ethanol free

Don’t forget some form roadside assistance plan, Good for peace of mind & the occasional

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default gas stations

Use " GAS BUDDY " to find where there are stations on the roads you plan to use or might use.... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Update on my trip (albeit a bit over-do). The short story is there was no problem finding gas the entire 6100 mile loop. Ran low (~25 to empty) a couple times before re-fill but we were +75 mph for a large part of the trip.

Longer version, I carried a 1.75 rotopax gas container but didn't need it. The route was from NJ to the upper peninsula, across the northern states to Yellowstone, west to ID and south to UT. Then Million $ Hwy and back east to NJ across the middle states. (Did the southern states to NM in 19 on 2 wheels). I prefer the Triumph Trophy SE over the Spyder RT for long-haul comfort and range but the RT is a great all-around tourer.