Spyder Garage

Default What size new Tires (front)?

New front tires for my 2017 RTL Vredestein Q5 175/55-15 or 165/60-15 has a stock rear tire.
    Thank you.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Either size should fit your 2017 RTL. Most have been using the 165/60-15 Q5.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank You

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Either size should fit your 2017 RTL. Most have been using the 165/60-15 Q5.......
    Well, I'm not part of "most", I installed the 175/55.

There have been no problems with fit or performance in the last 6000 miles.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jkoons View Post
    New front tires for my 2017 RTL Vredestein Q5 175/55-15 or 165/60-15 has a stock rear tire.
    Thank you.
    I also have the the 165/60-15 size ..... Why ???? because they do exactly ( -.01% ) the same as the larger size ..... but they are / were less expensive by a decent amount .... Mike

Spyder Garage

There's about 2500 miles on my 165/60R15 Vredestein fronts and they've been great. They have all the traction I can handle and they're slightly smaller in diameter than the stock Kendas, based on the manufacturers numbers (if you trust those), so no fit or nanny issues:

Kenda 165/55R15 rotations per mile 876.9 dia 23"
    Vredestein 165/60R15 rpm 884.6 dia 22.8"

The Vredestein 175/55R15 is listed as 22.6" diameter, so it's the smallest choice. I really don't trust the Kenda 23" number, though.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

For fronts I went with the 175/55R-15. 8,000 + miles on them now and based on what I am seeing it's going to be a long time before they need to be replaced.

For rear I went with the 205/65R-15. 10,500 + miles on it now and I have the same prediction as the front.

So far I have had them in the heat, rain, and some snow and ice a short while back. I have nothing negative to say about them.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    For fronts I went with the 175/55R-15. 8,000 + miles on them now and based on what I am seeing it's going to be a long time before they need to be replaced.

For rear I went with the 205/65R-15. 10,500 + miles on it now and I have the same prediction as the front.

So far I have had them in the heat, rain, and some snow and ice a short while back. I have nothing negative to say about them.
    Thanks for posting this info ....especially the snow/ ice encounter ..... not many realize the Q-5 actually is good enough to get a " Winter " tire rating .... So even if you never get into snow/ice these tires will perform much better at cooler/cold temps. than most " all-season " tires ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Just curious, what you decided to do on your tires? Q5s or something else? What size?...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for posting this info ....especially the snow/ ice encounter ..... not many realize the Q-5 actually is good enough to get a " Winter " tire rating .... So even if you never get into snow/ice these tires will perform much better at cooler/cold temps. than most " all-season " tires ..... Mike
    Mike, thank you for finding them and repeatedly posting about them. That's what caused me to get them to start with. Tried to get an actual tread depth today but couldn't find my depth gauge. Worst case I'll use a caliper and convert.

Spyder Garage

Mike, thank you for finding them and repeatedly posting about them. That's what caused me to get them to start with. Tried to get an actual tread depth today but couldn't find my depth gauge. Worst case I'll use a caliper and convert.
    ... Thanks for the compliment .... and because you were so thoughtful I measured mine 10/32 but they have about 750 mi. on them now, but I think they were that when I bought them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Got a tread depth measurement today. 3 measurements per tire, outside, middle and inside groves.

....................... Outside ..... Middle ..... Inside
    Left Front ........... 9/32 + ...... 9/32 + ...... 9/32

Right Front .......... 9/32 + ..... 9/32 + ..... 9/32

Rear (left to right) ... 7/32 ..... 7/32 ..... 7/32

I have settled on 18 PSI front and rear. Have a 3 line octopus with quick connects so I air all at one time.
    Leave it connected for about 5 minutes so I know they are all the same after changes.

Handles great, but an alignment might get the front insides to wear even with the middle and outside.
    The plus I used above means the measurement was slightly greater than 9/32.

Wish I had gotten a durometer measurement when new and I could have charted over time.

Gave up after several edits trying to get the numbers to line up. We need the tab key to work.

Spyder Garage

Thought I would follow up on this as I remembered to get a durometer reading. All 3 measured in multiple locations between 65 and 68. Was able to measure a new Vredestein and it was 61.

It might be interesting to recheck over time to see how much firmer they get over time.

Spyder Garage

EdMat can you confirm you put the 175/55R front tires on a 2019 RT? I note that the fenders on that model are the same as for a 2019 F3 Ltd, which is what i have and want to ensure these tires would fit my F3 Ltd. We cannot access the 165/60's here in Canada without ordering from the US which becomes cost prohibitive. Did you have to shim the fenders at all or the tires work as is?

Thank you

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    EdMat can you confirm you put the 175/55R front tires on a 2019 RT? I note that the fenders on that model are the same as for a 2019 F3 Ltd, which is what i have and want to ensure these tires would fit my F3 Ltd. We cannot access the 165/60's here in Canada without ordering from the US which becomes cost prohibitive. Did you have to shim the fenders at all or the tires work as is?

Thank you
    Try Quattro Tires. Canadian company out of Quebec. That’s where I got mine from. Just do a google search.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Thank you
    I can confirm that my fronts are 175/55R-15. Rear is a 205/65R-15. Fit and perform perfectly.

Spyder Garage

. . . .
    For rear I went with the 205/65R-15. 10,500 + miles on it now and I have the same prediction as the front. . . .
    Just curious if you did a check comparing your speedo to GPS readings with that 205/65 rear tire. When I was replacing the OEM Kenda on our 2014 RT, I looked at several brands and sizes doing comparisons on reported sizes by the companies (knowing not all tires are created equal). I chose a Yokohama AVID Envigor in that size and then did the GPS testing with two different units over long straight, flat stretches here in the Tx Panhandle and found that size delivered almost perfect speedo vs. GPS results. Mine registers 75mph while GPS is showing 74.5mph. I'm very happy with that.

Also very happy with the handling/traction characteristics of the Yokohama. I haven't measured depth, but the appearance would make you think it is still new, but has over 7K miles on it.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Mine is now within 1 MPH at 80. So much better than the 5 to 6 it was off.

Spyder Garage

Mine is now within 1 MPH at 80. So much better than the 5 to 6 it was off.
    Ditto with my 2013 RT running a Michelin 205/65R15 - speedo & odo/trip meter are now almost exactly spot on right across the whole range - unlike the optimistic 9-10kph fast at 100kph & the similar % 'extra kms' they reported while running the OE Spec Kendas.

Ps: I've got 175/60R15 Kumhos up front, and the only 'mod' required to get them to fit was to swap out the hex head screws that projected 10mm or so into the wheel space for pan head screws that fit flush! They fill out the guards bewdifully & work even better!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2021 at 11:29 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Bigbadbrucie - Canadian Supplier Q5 165/60

Bigbadbrucie: Thanks but I had found this site previously and currently the only option they have for the Q5 is the 175/55 option. They do not seem to stock the 165/60 variety any longer. That is why I was asking the question as they have very cheap shipping - 2 tires from Quebec to Edmonton AB for approx. $10. I can get two of the 175/55 for approx $240 CDN shipped tax paid. If I want to order the 165/60 variety from the US thru Tirerack it would cost me more than that in US $. So I have a definite preference to use the 175/55's if I can without any issues.

Spyder Garage

Bigbadbrucie: Thanks but I had found this site previously and currently the only option they have for the Q5 is the 175/55 option. They do not seem to stock the 165/60 variety any longer. That is why I was asking the question as they have very cheap shipping - 2 tires from Quebec to Edmonton AB for approx. $10. I can get two of the 175/55 for approx $240 CDN shipped tax paid. If I want to order the 165/60 variety from the US thru Tirerack it would cost me more than that in US $. So I have a definite preference to use the 175/55's if I can without any issues.
    Yes they will fit .... many here are using that size ..... I recommend the the 165/60-15 because they are less expensive and there won't be any measurable Traction difference between those sizes. Years ago I mounted Toyo Proxes t1r's on my 14 RT... stickiest tire I have EVER used .... But the NANNY would just trip sooner, so there was NO benefit. They actually slowed me down every time she got pissed ...... Mike