Spyder Garage

Default Build your own Ryker Reverse Shifter

Several folks have asked for more info on how I built our Ryker shifter - so here’s some photos of the major components and instructions to help you fabricate a similar mod.

First, the items ordered from Amazon: bender, light bar clamp, air cylinder rod clevis, heim style joints, and shifter knob. I purchased a 3’ stick of 3/8 round bar stock and misc. nuts & bolts at my local hardware. You will also need a means to cut the steel, a welder (mig preferred) and an angle grinder.

I started by drilling a larger hole (25/64) in the light bar clamp. Cut the zip ties that secure the brake line and wiring to the frame. Mount the clamp to the frame as shown in picture - being sure NOT to pinch the brake line or wires. Thread a 10mm bolt into the clevis. Loosely bolt the clevis to the clamp using a 10mm bolt, 2 nylon washers, and a locking nut.

Now use the bender to get creative and form the shifter rod to your liking. You can keep it simple or try to follow the contour of the Ryker. The goal is to be able to weld the the rod to the end of the 10mm bolt. Once you have the rod bent and cut to the correct height, weld the shift rod to the 10mm bolt and check the figment. If good, solidly weld the bolt to the clevis and grind to a nice, round, tapered finish. Weld a bolt to the top of the rod that will thread into the knob/handle of your choice. Again, grind to a nice finish around the top bolt.

Next you need to cut a 6” piece of bar and weld a 6mm bolt to each end to attach the heim joints. Thread the heim joints onto the bolts welded on the ends of the connecting rod.

You will also need to weld an attachment point to the shifter rod for the heim joint to bolt on to. I used a piece of 1/4 steel with a 6mm hole drilled in it - but you could also use a properly-sized heavy washer welded to the shifter rod. The placement and angle are a little tricky because of the angle involved and the limited movement of the heim joints.

Remove the bolt from the end of the factory shifter. I needed to cut the rubber off flush on the end of the shifter in order for the heim joint to bolt securely. You will also need a longer bolt when connecting the heim joint to the shifter.

Paint as desired and attach the shifter to the frame clamp. Bolt the connecting rod to the shifter rod and the factory shifter using appropriate 6mm bolts and locknuts. Thread your knob or handle on the top. Check for proper operation. Some adjustment can be made by moving the frame clamp forward or backward on the frame. Re-secure the wires and brake line using zip ties. ENJOY! PM me if you have additional questions.

Sorry some of the photos are out of order. See the first post in my earlier thread for more finished photos. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...75#post1566075
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added Link to earlier thread.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Thank you! This is a very generous share...my hubby will love your instructions...will send pic and how it works after he makes it. Now I will not have to lean down to use my hand to but bike in reverse.

Spyder Garage

Early Candidate for Post of the Year ... thanx!

My own little contribution. Here's links to the tools and parts listed:

Touren Connector Joint

Othmro Pneumatic Cylinder

House Tuning Clamps

Shop Tuff Mighty Bender
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the details. Much appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Already ordered the parts. Right around $75, not including the shift ball. Looks to be a limited supply available on Amazon, so yall might have to find other sources. No worries here - I got mine! AAHAHHHHHHAAHHAHAAAAA !!

PS - pretty sure I got one of these stashed in the junk drawers ...

... and I KNOW I got one of these ... <G>

Spyder Garage

You can order different balls on ebay. Did that come out right? ��

Spyder Garage

SHOW US YOUR BALLS !!

This one is a junk bin find from a Massive Ferguson transfer case. Perfect for the bike.

mf-shift-ball.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The high level of home made parts and accessories in this forum is outstanding.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L