Spyder Garage

Default Will wheels from a 2018 Spyder fit a 2009?

Will wheels from a 2018 spyder fit a 2009?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Removed extra CR ;-)

Spyder Garage

They will, but the fronts are 15" as compared to your 14". If you were planning to swap tires the fronts will not fit. Rear is the same size.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    They will, but the fronts are 15" as compared to your 14". If you were planning to swap tires the fronts will not fit. Rear is the same size.
    Well, they'll fit straight onto the hubs, but the fenders might need a little bit of spacing (3 fat washers?? ) to allow them to clear the tire/sidewall.

The 'old style' fenders with the support rib inside the wheel well did end up on some of the 2013 & on Spyders with 15" rims & tires, so they DO fit both if you try; and I believe there was also a minor offset change between the 14" rims & 15's too, simply to allow the 15" rims to clear the bigger Brembo brakes. Still, when it really counts, while you might hafta fiddle around a little bit with spacers, you can fairly easily fit the newer 15" rims onto the pre-2013 Spyders that came out with 14" rims up front originally. Quite a few have done so!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wasn't there some discussion in the past about how using a larger diameter tire on the front might affect speedo readings and Nanny's control of the bike?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Wasn't there some discussion in the past about how using a larger diameter tire on the front might affect speedo readings and Nanny's control of the bike?
    Not if you keep the ratio close. Look for total tire diameter when comparing tires. Since the speedo reads from the rear wheel it's not as sensitive to the front tires. I have had no issues going from the stock 50 to the 65 I am running on my 2020 RT(205/65R15) on my rear.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since the speedo reads from the rear wheel it's not as sensitive to the front tires.
    There are speed sensors on all three wheels that feed into the Vehicle Control Module. We don't know what the interaction is among the three when it comes to supplying a speedo signal to the cluster and what the tolerance is for variations among them. But we do know that the VCM compares all three constantly because that is what kills cruise control when a tire starts sliding. The VCM communicates with the cluster, including speedo reading, via the CanBus.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not if you keep the ratio close. Look for total tire diameter when comparing tires. Since the speedo reads from the rear wheel it's not as sensitive to the front tires. I have had no issues going from the stock 50 to the 65 I am running on my 2020 RT(205/65R15) on my rear.
    .... but I would use TOTAL tire circumference as the better measure ..... and this swap has been done successfully many, many times already ... I have not heard of any NANNY issues from any who have done this swap .... I would stay with the smallest aspect ratio on the new 15 in. tires ......jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2021 at 11:57 PM. Reason: 'Done' ;-)