Spyder Garage

Default 2019 vs 2020 F3 Ltd Differences - Rear Trunk

Yes I have done a search and most of the comments on the differences are assumptions but I have not seen any comments about the rear trunk. I have a chance to buy a brand new 2019 F3 Ltd at a good price and with BRP Best extended warranty for 4 years. I believe the main differences are the audio controls on the tank, the "quick remove" trunk and colors. However I have seen comments that the rear trunk on the 2020 is the same as on the 2020 RT. However what I can't seem to confirm is if the trunk on the 2020 F3 Ltd changed from that on the 2019 and if so what the change is? I recognize the attachment system must have changed but did the size change? Looking online the cargo capacity for the 2020 and 2019 are the same. So that makes me wonder if the shape changed? looking at photos it is hard to see a change.

Spyder Garage

no change in the size or the general shape. The 2020 trunk has the quick release like the RT but it also has a different hinge system on it that when you open it it will stay open by itself unlike the 2019 has a little stop on the left side that holds it open and you need to remember to press it before you just shut the lid or you will break it off. Me personally I bought a 2019 vs the 2020 because I saved some serious $$$ and the changes did not out weigh the savings, plus you have to ask yourself how much you are planning on taking the trunk off and remembering to push that little clip is a no brainer.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    no change in the size or the general shape. The 2020 trunk has the quick release like the RT but it also has a different hinge system on it that when you open it it will stay open by itself unlike the 2019 has a little stop on the left side that holds it open and you need to remember to press it before you just shut the lid or you will break it off. Me personally I bought a 2019 vs the 2020 because I saved some serious $$$ and the changes did not out weigh the savings, plus you have to ask yourself how much you are planning on taking the trunk off and remembering to push that little clip is a no brainer.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
    I'm of the opposite thinking. I have a 2021 RT base and added my own top case (Shad on a LinQ base). I've swapped out the top case for the stock color matched cover a couple of times now depending on the length of my ride. OTOH, if I were to buy an F3 (and it's unlikely), I might very well buy a 2019 Limited if I could save some change. If I buy another Spyder (and who knows what the future brings), it will most likely be an RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

The Australian 2020 F3 trunk comes with a red blank where the Canada/US versions have a stop/tail light as per Australian Design Rules. LED replacement lights plug straight in where the red blank is and provides an excellent light that is high and easy to see from behind, particularly from large vehicles. I find that the lid stays up when open and the box easily fits my helmet and jacket. Very happy ryder.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    The Australian 2020 F3 trunk comes with a red blank where the Canada/US versions have a stop/tail light as per Australian Design Rules. LED replacement lights plug straight in where the red blank is and provides an excellent light that is high and easy to see from behind, particularly from large vehicles. I find that the lid stays up when open and the box easily fits my helmet and jacket. Very happy ryder.
    Thank you all for your responses. If the ‘19 is still available I think I will go with it and get the 4 year extended warranty

Spyder Garage

I have both a 2019 F3L and a 2020 F3L. IMO...yes there is a difference in the two trunks. The trunk on the 2020 is the SAME as the trunk set up on the 2020 RTL. It is put on with the LinQ system. The 2019 is not a LinQ system trunk.

If you check out my photo albums on my home page there are side view pictures of both 2019 and 2020. Pictures #2 and #6 show the 2020 views, and pictures #2 and #3 show the views on the 2019. If you click on any picture of each album is will blow them up to viewing size. Should be easy to see the comparison you are looking for.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm of the opposite thinking. I have a 2021 RT base and added my own top case (Shad on a LinQ base). I've swapped out the top case for the stock color matched cover a couple of times now depending on the length of my ride. OTOH, if I were to buy an F3 (and it's unlikely), I might very well buy a 2019 Limited if I could save some change. If I buy another Spyder (and who knows what the future brings), it will most likely be an RT Limited.

Didn't we try to get you to buy the limited this time?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Didn't we try to get you to buy the limited this time?
    You did and I seriously considered it. I saved a ton of money by buying the base model and adding my own stuff, though. Still, I'm tired of wrenching so next time (if there's a next time), I'll probably get a Limited trim.