Spyder Garage

Default cat delete 998 2013 RT

I do not have any "issues" with heat or anything really since the factory vent fix years ago. I added a block off plate and cut out the bottom shield so no foot frying either. I have always wanted to do the cat delete pipe but did not want to spend the money. with the "stimulus" money that I think I'll get I may "stimulate" both the economy and our ryde. Who has done it and how do you like it? I do not want a really loud machine. I would like to improve MPG and have read some accounts of it happening. I'm looking at RLS Exhaust ceramic coated pipe.

Spyder Garage

Just fitting a Cat Eliminator & keeping the final/end OE Muffler will 'improve' the sound somewhat, without really making it anything much 'louder' per se; and it might even free up a little in the way of mid-range torque, altho that's likely at the cost of a (tiny & barely measurable) amount of low-end grunt; but it's not really likely to make any significant difference to your fuel economy, cos that's pretty much governed by the (substantially unchanged by any exhaust mods) computer that controls the engine combustion & the twisting motion of your right wrist on the throttle!!

To do make any real difference to the way your engine runs, & therefore to its fuel economy, you'll really need to look at an ECU Upgrade. Sure, you'll want to free up more of the factory restricted power & torque that your engine is reliably capable of producing, but once you've got access to any of that, then if you can resist grabbing for the extra power & torque all the time, there's a very good chance that you should be able to improve your 'just cruisin' fuel economy by a handy amount. I certainly managed that on my 2013 RT, but in addition to fitting the Cat Eliminator, I modded (well, 'gutted' is probably more appropriate) the OE Muffler, removec all the convoluted air intake trunking, and fitted a hi-flow air filter too - enhancing both the air in & the exhaust out capabilities of the engine to better make use of the ECU Upgrade!

So I'd strongly suggest that if you're planning on going down that Cat Eliminator path, then you should direct some of that stimulus money towards an ECU Upgrade too, so you can actually make use of the better exhaust flow provided by the Cat Eliminator... and not only make your engine work better, but sound even better to boot!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Myron
    I did mine some years ago, i reported it, search for a thread called "Threw out the cat"
    Tulefog

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the cat on my 2013 RT when I had it. Can't say it made enough difference to justify the cost. And consider the fact your RT is 8 model years old so even though it has a lot of life left in it, you may not have a lot of love for it left in you to make you want to keep it much longer. I'd say since you've lived this long without the cat delete spend your stimulus $$ on something that will impact your life more beneficially!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnspyder, Thanks for the thought. Truth be known, we still love our 2013 RT. Always have. Spent much on seat, handling and paint. It is "our own". Plan on keeping till to expensive to repair. Probably not going to spend money on pipe.

Spyder Garage

Tulefog, thank-you very much for sharing. I liked the video. I'm actually leaning toward not replacing. It serves us well and runs fine so I really see no reason to change. I may get bored and do it but I doubt it.

Spyder Garage

You're welcome, at the time it helped to reduce the heat, and it was not that much louder. The thermowrap on the pipes helped a little, but gets scraped and torn going over a speed bump too fast.
    I intend to keep my 2013 until the wheels fall off.