Spyder Garage

Default 2014 STS belt vibration

I have read some on this subject didn't seem to affect mine until I had to have the rear tire replaced. With covid rides were short and not at any highway speed until this week. I noted now that between 55 to 65 I feel a vibration near my left foot. I have looked for a belt dampener that can be installed on the ST model. Ideals please help. Second thought is it better on top of the belt or bottom. I was thinking bottom since this should be the loose side while running. Thanks for any help

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldraceman View Post
    I have read some on this subject didn't seem to affect mine until I had to have the rear tire replaced. With covid rides were short and not at any highway speed until this week. I noted now that between 55 to 65 I feel a vibration near my left foot. I have looked for a belt dampener that can be installed on the ST model. Ideals please help. Second thought is it better on top of the belt or bottom. I was thinking bottom since this should be the loose side while running. Thanks for any help
    I cured my drive BELT vibes by lowering the Belt tension from BRP specs to 160 lbs measured with wheel on the ground .... using a KritKit guage ( see BAJARON ) ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

- I'd be checking the Belt Tension before doing anything else, cos if it was fine before, and now that you've had someone else replace a rear tire it's suddenly got 'a vibration near your left foot'.... it can really only be being caused by the tire itself, the wheel balance (unlikely with a single rear wheel) or there's something different in the way the belt/rear wheel is set up - and who knows what the belt tension is now?!?

There again, at the risk of sounding like a cracked record (some of us here will be old enough to remember that sound, while more of us should be able to remember what a 'record' actually is! ) if you've fitted a new OE Spec Kenda on the rear, there is also a reasonably high chance that IT is the source of the vibrations you are now experiencing!! No kidding, they really can be that bad!

But check the belt tension first, setting it to something like that suggested above; and if that doesn't resolve your vibration issues, then I'd seriously be looking at your 'new' rear tire as the only other thing that's changed lately!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BK911 and Peter gave excellent advice. While you have the rear of your spyder up off the ground hand-spin the rear tire slowly and check it for out of roundness.

Spyder Garage

I got mine from Smooth Spyder to stop the clutch chatter on my 2015 ST Limited. It went on the bottom and helped greatly. The chatter was totally eliminated when I started buying my oil change kit from Lamonster Garage.