Spyder Garage

Default What type of coolant should I use?

Should I stick with the BRP coolant or just buy a top quality coolant with the proper mix.i was looking at the prestone brand . Any thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO unless you thoroughly flush the OEM coolant stay with the preferred type. You mix the orange and green coolants at your peril. They
    can clump and cause serious issues. I don't feel that OEM is necessary, just the proper type.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    IMO unless you thoroughly flush the OEM coolant stay with the preferred type. You mix the orange and green coolants at your peril. They
    can clump and cause serious issues. I don't feel that OEM is necessary, just the proper type.
    +1
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Topping off with any commercial coolant that is rated for all types is good. Color is a guide, but not a good one because different manufacturers dye their coolant different colors. Dexcool (GM) is the odd man out in the coolant world, and NOT to be used in a Spyder.

If you want more you can search around for "HOAT" and that'll give more than you want to know.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Topping off with any commercial coolant that is rated for all types is good. Color is a guide, but not a good one because different manufacturers dye their coolant different colors. Dexcool (GM) is the odd man out in the coolant world, and NOT to be used in a Spyder.

If you want more you can search around for "HOAT" and that'll give more than you want to know.
    I wouldn't use a " coolant " .... I'm sure the BRP product is " anti-freeze " ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

BRP XPS Coolant, https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...-0-946-l-.html, is specifically designed and premixed with demineralized water at the appropriate ratio for your Spyder engine. Why screw around with anything else?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Why screw around with anything else?"

Because it's $10 for a quart and it's no better/different from the stuff that costs that much for a gallon. I just consider it a slight push
    against unreasonable price gouging.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Clary -- what color is your current coolant? And how old is it? The Can-Am extended-life coolant is Orange with a 5-year service interval. Proceed from there.

BTW what hose clamp will you use? If not Oetiker then I recommend constant torque.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brp coolant

Just curious, is your Spyder still under warranty? If yes, I would use the BRP Product(s). The bottom line is, it's your Spyder so do as you wish.

Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Bump!

I have a 2012 RT-S and recently bought it from someone who didn't abuse it but didn't do to much to it maintenance wise. I'm looking to replace the coolant and see that it is currently at the low mark. I also see the coolant is orange. As long as I pick an over the counter orange coolant to replace it I should be good? Not looking to use the $10/quart OEM, well because it's $10/quart. Was going to use something like Prestone if possible. Suggestions on using something other than the OEM anti-freeze?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Six. The coolant that the 2012 RT had in it when delivered new was the green stuff, not the orange stuff. Apparently then, somebody did some maintenance along the way. So, if you are going to completely drain and refill, if it was me, I'd put the green back in it. What's the difference? Well, it's my understanding that the 998 Rotax still had some steel components in the coolant system, such as the water pump impeller. Maybe that's why BRP went with the green for that engine. Orange coolant is more appropriate for coolant systems that are completely aluminum and nylon.

Whatever you decide to do, when you drain the system, do NOT remove the drain plug on the side of the radiator. Much more often than not, it is so bound on there, that the solder joint will crack and you'll have a leak. Instead, remove the lower radiator hose. And if you decide to go back to green coolant, it would be wise to give it a flush first, to get the old stuff out of there. Just don't mix the two.

Any jug of the green stuff you find at Autozone, etc, is fine. Standard 50-50 mix.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-22-2022 at 06:15 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

$30000 trike and your worried about $10 a quart anti-freeze, I would stick with OEM
    Last edited by duke50; 07-22-2022 at 06:51 PM.