Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020+ RT lug nut socket size

I'm about to remove my front wheels to change tires. I want to ensure I have the correct socket for the lug nuts. From research here, I've seen a few older threads that say I need a 21mm (13/16) thin wall, 6pt socket. Someone stated a spark plug socket works well.

I want to make sure this info is correct for the 2020+ RT, aswell. (I can't see that the size changed but you never know w/BuRP.)

Spyder Garage

Sparkplug socket size is correct for the 2020 RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

What tires are you getting? Who will install the tires? Not sure about the wheel lug-nut size. Definitely use a six point socket.
    Hand tighten and then torqued to specs. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Sparkplug socket size is correct for the 2020 RT.
    Thanks, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    What tires are you getting? Who will install the tires? Not sure about the wheel lug-nut size. Definitely use a six point socket.
    Hand tighten and then torqued to specs. .......
    Veredestein (sp?) Q5s. No idea who's going to install them. I'll make an appointment once I get the tires (Monday, I hope). Any idea what the torque specs are? Not sure I've EVER torqued vehicle lug nuts in my life. I've always hand tightened them til they scream whilst the tire is on the ground.

Spyder Garage

I'm about to change the front tyres on my nearly new 2017 F3-S. A 21mm, 12 point socket seemed a bit loose on the lug nuts, and would not fit between the nut and the wheel so was not very far onto the nut.
    The owners manual and service manual don't mention what size socket to use. I measured the lug nut diameter at 20.5mm with a vernier caliper. 13/16" is 20.64mm. So I'll buy a 13/16" thin wall 6 point socket as advised above. I wouldn't try a 21mm 12 point socket.
    Torque is 80lb ft +/- 3 in the manuals.
    IanB

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    I'm about to change the front tyres on my nearly new 2017 F3-S. A 21mm, 12 point socket seemed a bit loose on the lug nuts, and would not fit between the nut and the wheel so was not very far onto the nut.
    The owners manual and service manual don't mention what size socket to use. I measured the lug nut diameter at 20.5mm with a vernier caliper. 13/16" is 20.64mm. So I'll buy a 13/16" thin wall 6 point socket as advised above. I wouldn't try a 21mm 12 point socket.
    Torque is 80lb ft +/- 3 in the manuals.
    IanB
    Buy quality 13/16" thin wall 6 point socket. For me I went with a 'Mac Tool' socket. Why, because I tried a China made socket and it broke while removing the lug-nuts. You get what you pay. .....

My Tip: Remove the lug-nuts and install by hand. Power Tools may break your socket and damage your lug-nuts.
    Been there and done that damage. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue