Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

As I mentioned in the other topic, in 2014, early 1330 engines with porosity issues were very quietly replaced under warranty. No makeshift repairs, rather complete engine swaps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Very unlikely based on the surface texture and modern methods to reduce that these are sand casted. Could be, but likely die cast. Most production motorcycle engine cases have been made that way for about 50 years.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If you need an engine due to porosity you may end up with an epoxy repair.I say this bc I have rebuilt thousands of transmissions and have seen countless times where the case was repaired at the factory before it was even put into a car,so they tested it and found a leak and put a green type of epoxy on the leak which never leaked again.Im curious to see what the fix will be.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Bluewoo, Based on my experience with BRP they always state to take the bike to your dealer. They will start a complaint but will not move further than that unless they receive information from the dealer. I suggest you contact BRP and start a complaint while taking your bike to your local dealer to handle the issue.
    I hope your situation is resolved quickly.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Blue, I suggest you contact iMotorSports and let them know. Maybe, just maybe, they can/will just swap out the entire bike and either send this one back to BRP or swap the engine out and sell it as a used one. If nothing else maybe they will encourage the local dealer to work quickly with you to get it fixed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just need BRP to acknowledge the issue but they haven't called me back and the local dealership never answers there phone.
    Is there another web site or phone number BRP is using for something this serious?
    I can try imotorsports but i'm not feeling very positive about them actually swapping out machines.

Thanks everybody!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Since you purchased your Spyder from iMotorsports and they are a considerable distance from you, send an email to BRPCare at brp.care@brp.com with pictures you have posted here and an explanation of everything you've done to diagnose the problem, and ask them to open a case for you and direct you to a specific local dealership to pick up the ball and run with it until the problem is solved.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Since you purchased your Spyder from iMotorsports and they are a considerable distance from you, send an email to BRPCare at brp.care@brp.com with pictures you have posted here and an explanation of everything you've done to diagnose the problem, and ask them to open a case for you and direct you to a specific local dealership to pick up the ball and run with it until the problem is solved.
    I did send a pic to BRPCARES and never got a reply so I called BRPCARES and was told to have a dealership look at it and then move on from that. Local dealership I made an appt with will be about three weeks from now to look at it so nothing more to do but wait patiently. I'll let them figure it out. I'm just happy I found the issue so if they decide to plug it I'm fine with that just as long as BRP has receipts for later down the road. If they decide to replace the engine then I hope they can expedite the parts to get it replaced quickly. This leak could be internal damage we cannot see so I'm just going to stay calm and let this play out because its spring and all the shops are very busy.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    I did send a pic to BRPCARES and never got a reply so I called BRPCARES and was told to have a dealership look at it and then move on from that.
    As you are discovering, BRP is VERY adamant that the dealer is the first place to go. It can be frustrating at times, but you really can't blame them. But there has been a time or two where BRP Cares team has gotten the ball rolling for an owner, but that's about the extent of it.

Send BRP Cares another email if you're getting stalled by the local dealer. I really think it'll be safe to ride. Just keep an eye on the oil level. In the meantime ride it like you stole it and put a drip pan under it when you park it! You might even drill a small hole in the underside pan to let the accumulated oil drip out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

100 miles today and all is bone dry. I am relieved. My leaks were caused by over-filled oil. Glad mine wasnt a porosity issue.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Just got my new 2021 RTL and I have a oil leak in the same area. Dealer thought it was the oil plug but after driving home about 8 or 10 miles oil all over the bottom by the exhaust and drain plug. I did follow the oil all the way forward to a rectangle aluminum block bolted on the right side of the engine mid way up the front. Its hard to tell what the wind has done to the oil flow. I wiped it all down and went on a 4 or 5 mile ride and the oil is on the bottom of the engine again. I have less than 100 miles on it. I will follow this post and report any fix when they find it. I will check my oil to see if it is over filled. I "assumed" the dealer already did this.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I went for a 10 mile ride and checked my oil, seems to be fine. Here are the pictures where I discovered the oil. My dealer is great to work with, if we can find where the oil is coming from they will do their part. This is the 4th one in this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    Just got my new 2021 RTL and I have a oil leak in the same area. Dealer thought it was the oil plug but after driving home about 8 or 10 miles oil all over the bottom by the exhaust and drain plug. I did follow the oil all the way forward to a rectangle aluminum block bolted on the right side of the engine mid way up the front. Its hard to tell what the wind has done to the oil flow. I wiped it all down and went on a 4 or 5 mile ride and the oil is on the bottom of the engine again. I have less than 100 miles on it. I will follow this post and report any fix when they find it. I will check my oil to see if it is over filled. I "assumed" the dealer already did this.
    " Did dealer check oil level " .... it has been reported 100's of times that the Dealer was the one who OVER-FILLED the oil ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just a follow up with my oil leak.I cleaned up all the oil before I went for a road test to warm the oil up. When I got back there was just a little oil on the frame. I went for a little longer ride and there was no more oil on the frame than after the shorter road test. When I got back I cleaned every thing as clean as I could get it. I went for ride today with my flashlight and mirror to explore the leak. Driving gently not over 3500 RPM's stopped after 5 miles, no oil leak. went to 15 miles, no leak. stopped after 25 miles still no leak. After that I run it normal and a couple higher RPM's, at the end I had no more leaking. I think what I was seeing after the dealer sealed the drain plug was oil that was already there and run off after the engine warmed it. I liked my 2019 RTL, but I think I'm going to like this one even more.
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

Spyder Garage

I dropped her off this afternoon and showed the service writer the problem. was basically there reaction as they never seen anything like it.
    Now the question is how long to resolve the problem and I'll take a wild guess BRP will replace the engine.
    I'll post updates here I as get them and thanks for all your support.
    *I dont have the plastic skid plate installed so I can monitor the oil leak, so that's why the oil is dripping in parking lot vs it being accumulated by the skid plate.
    IMG_20210408_163847.jpg
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted. Thank you.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I have never taken a vehicle to a dealer voluntarily. But if I spent $20,000-$25,000 for a new vehicle and something appeared to be wrong,
    and I was not an experienced motorcycle/Spyder mechanic, I would return it post-haste.
    My dealer is 90 minutes away, and I know they would have it for a week. So if I could find a bad oring on a dipstick I would not be puffing my chest out demanding someone fix my warranty issue. It's great that you would. But that is part of us being individuals with there being no clear cut answer without considering the whole story.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Man if they have a engine ready to send you that will take some time then removal and installation.

If no engine in stock then I would ask for a loaner until they get yours fixed or replaced??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Man if they have a engine ready to send you that will take some time then removal and installation.

If no engine in stock then I would ask for a loaner until they get yours fixed or replaced??
    Unless they can permanently plug/weld it with an open warranty on the engine as long as I own it.
    Not worried about a loaner just something else to deal with, if they offer one sure But I'm not asking cause its not a priority.
    I want it fix quickly and right!
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    Unless they can permanently plug/weld it with an open warranty on the engine as long as I own it.
    Not worried about a loaner just something else to deal with, if they offer one sure But I'm not asking cause its not a priority.
    I want it fix quickly and right!
    I doubt it will be quickly. As for a loaner at least you are riding , since most likely you will be out your Spyder for awhile.

Plug welding doesn't sound like a fix.

Anyway good luck! Hope it does get resolved soon.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE: Dealer finally got approval to replace the engine(long block)!
    Time line is anybody's guess right now, But at least they proved enough to BRP its a casting or machine issue and not repairable.
    4/8/21 Dropped off @ dealership
    4/27/21 BRP agreed to replace engine
    ?/??/?? Should start a lottery on when I get it back This is all I can do is stay calm, dealer has been keeping me updated.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well at that rate you should have it back late summer.

Hope they have the block on the shelf someplace to send to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Good news!!! Picking the spyder up tomorrow!!!!!
    Stated the frt sprocket is on back order???

Fingers crossed all is good and I hope with my knee surgery (right) I'll be able to use the brake. if not the dealer will have to deliver it back to me next week...............................
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW!!! They replaced the motor that quickly? That is awesome!!!!!!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was fast!