Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For Aussie Trailer builders the new ADR makes for an interesting read

2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can you believe it? 40 of the 89 pages are devoted to lighting!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Can you believe it? 40 of the 89 pages are devoted to lighting!
    Yep......they really have a “thing” about lighting, Idaho, which is why we have our low beam lights down low where you have your “fog lights” (which most agree makes the Spyder harder to see), and can’t have the brake light up on the trunk (which makes the Spyder harder to see when braking.), and can’t have the signature light under the frunk. Sometimes you wonder. The Aussie ADR rules are why BRP stopped bringing their brilliant trailer to Australia.... just too difficult to meet.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like they're trying to legislate you to death.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    . Oz is one of the most Over-Legislated Countries in the WORLD!! But if there's anything good about it, it's that the thing they REALLLLY concentrate on to the exclusion of most others is Speeding!! In some States, even just 1 kph - yep, that's ONE Kilometre per hour, which is LESS than one mile per hour can earn you a ticket!

Even Drink &/or Drug Driving comes second to that, and if you're unlucky enough to be a tee-total Truckie with a convoy of drunk drivers playing 'dice with death' around you, so you decide to 'press on juuust a tiny bit' in order to try & leave them behind in order to meet a deadline that means you might get paid something this month, then you'd better bleedin' well watch out!!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    . Oz is one of the most Over-Legislated Countries in the WORLD!! But if there's anything good about it, it's that the thing they REALLLLY concentrate on to the exclusion of most others is Speeding!! In some States, even just 1 kph - yep, that's ONE Kilometre per hour, which is LESS than one mile per hour can earn you a ticket!
    Makes for a good excuse for Aussies to stick w/ the Kendas in the rear. You can fudge the speed by 1 kph by your speedo and still be legal!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Makes for a good excuse for Aussies to stick w/ the Kendas in the rear. You can fudge the speed by 1 kph by your speedo and still be legal!
    Yeah NO!! It doesn't matter WHAT your speedo says, if the Speed Camera/device says you're over the speed limit, you're booked!

And if you want to argue & try to show that your speedo said you were still legal, and the Speed Camera/device says otherwise, then you can even be fined for having a Speedo that doesn't comply with our ADR's re 'speedometer accuracy'!!

Which means you could be at risk of scoring a speeding fine unless you want to ride around at a speed that's actually 10kph or more LESS than the posted speed limit..... regardless of how fast the traffic around you is travelling. In which case you're at risk from a whole 'nuther set of issues!! Alledgedly, being 'rear ended' was the second largest cause of Motorcycle fatalities in Oz a few years back - I haven't seen any later 'statistics' like than on Motorcycle fatalities, but in that lot, it was listed as second only to 'speed related accidents' Seems they're out to get us either way!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I recall years ago the local rules were driving lights had to be in pairs. When light bars arrived if you had say 1 wide light bar it was illegal and people were fined for it. Took them ages to update their regs to suit the new technology. Same thing with DRLs. All sorts of regs around them even though years ago they legislated to have always on lights on motobikes. They tend to be well behind the times with their regs, make exceptions for particular brands and tell the rest of us to go suck an egg.
    As for speed cameras instead of having police out there making informed decisions and reporting back road conditions, driver behaviour etc. they shove cameras everywhere including ones in vehicles and at least up here often parked in emergency stopping bays.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Yeah NO!! It doesn't matter WHAT your speedo says, if the Speed Camera/device says you're over the speed limit, you're booked!
    I guess you missed the underlying basis for my comment. Every Spyder leaves the factory with a speedometer that displays a speed about 3 mph over the actual speed. This is to comply with a UN regulation that prohibits vehicle speedometers from ever showing a speed less than actual speed. That's why you often see comments about car tires bringing the Spyder speedo number closer to actual speed. Never change to a car tire in the rear, and you'll always be less than the speed limit when you speedo shows you are at the speed limit! At 101 kph on the speedo you will be at 96 kph in reality!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down More regulations what could possibly go wrong

Brings up the subject of street legal semi slicks. Once a big no no but now ok.
    Thrifty local youngsters around my neck of the woods have taken it a step further and regularly gather around the vampire hours to compare notes on D.I.Y. semi slicks.
    Test results are left for the general public to make informed decisions on their next purchase of not only rubber but fast food and kiddie safe tangle foot.
    Word is 24 hour daylight savings is being considered to curb their enthusiasm but I'll bet they'll just lift their covid masks up a notch to cover their eyeballs and carry on regardless
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

And if you want to argue & try to show that your speedo said you were still legal, and the Speed Camera/device says otherwise, then you can even be fined for having a Speedo that doesn't comply with our ADR's re 'speedometer accuracy'!!

Which means you could be at risk of scoring a speeding fine unless you want to ride around at a speed that's actually 10kph or more LESS than the posted speed limit..... regardless of how fast the traffic around you is travelling. In which case you're at risk from a whole 'nuther set of issues!! Alledgedly, being 'rear ended' was the second largest cause of Motorcycle fatalities in Oz a few years back - I haven't seen any later 'statistics' like than on Motorcycle fatalities, but in that lot, it was listed as second only to 'speed related accidents' Seems they're out to get us either way!
    I guess you missed the underlying basis for my comment. Every Spyder leaves the factory with a speedometer that displays a speed about 3 mph over the actual speed. This is to comply with a UN regulation that prohibits vehicle speedometers from ever showing a speed less than actual speed. That's why you often see comments about car tires bringing the Spyder speedo number closer to actual speed. Never change to a car tire in the rear, and you'll always be less than the speed limit when you speedo shows you are at the speed limit! At 101 kph on the speedo you will be at 96 kph in reality!
    I guess you missed the underlying point of my comments..... Speedos are by design, inherently inaccurate, but the Speed Device operator that pings you doesn't give a rats!! If you're travelling faster than the speed limit, you're speeding, and a fine will follow if you get pinged - and here in Oz, chances are that you WILL get pinged (eventually! ) because none of the governing bodies really care too much about anything else except revenue raising thru speeding fines!

However, you should be very aware that the speed variation which every Spyder leaves the factory with IS NOT FIXED nor is it necessarily anywhere near 3mph, altho it might be, thru pure happenstance on your machine & maybe a few others! But it can show, iaw the UN Convention, ANYWHERE UP TO 10% over your actual speed AND IT CAN VARY from Spyder to Spyder, even amongst vehicles that have left the factory consecutively! So unless you've tested it and KNOW what thecerror % is on your Spyder at every indicated speed, then if your speedo is reading 101mph, you might only be doing 90 mph.... or you could just as easily be doing 96 mph.... or maybe 92 mph.... or posibly even 101?!? That said, I've seen some Spyders that showed 100kph on their speedo when they were really only doing 96 - 98 kph (maybe that's within the 10% allowed variation in mph?! ) Regardless, just like it can be dangerous to drive/ride on your freeways over there at 10 mph or more LOWER than the speed of all the traffic around you, which may or may not bear some relationship to the actual 'Speed Limit' just there. it's still flirting with death doing that here too!!

But if you feel that staying with Kendas might be 'keeping you safe' in any way, then why wouldn't BRP provide an even smaller & cheaper tire (I doubt they could actually provide anything much crappier! ) so that it shows you are travelling at saaayyy, 110 when you're actually only doing something like 70?? Or so you might only be doing saaay 45 when your speedo indicates that you're doing 70?? That'd be sooo much safer for everybody, wouldn't it?? Oh hang on, maybe they do?? Switch your speed display to kph and you can do just that, but I don't think you'll be any safer travelling at 'indicated speeds' which vary so much from the actual speeds everyone else around you is doing!

And just to make it clear, the 'accuracy' or otherwise of the speedo is really just a small bonus in fitting alternative tires to MY Spyder - all the other improvements are what makes the swap so important to me. With every other (not Kenda!) tire I've tested on my Spyder so far, I can brake harder, stop quicker, get better road holding in the dry and in the wet, corner safer, ride more comfortably, et al, AND get a longer tire life AS WELL as a more accurate speedo to boot, one which STILL meets the UN convention on speedos & so is still legal in every respect..... so why wouldn't I?! Why on earth wouldn't you & everyone else too??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2021 at 02:55 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but I like to know exactly what speed I am doing, Idaho. My car tyres have moved my speedo to “spot on” according to my GPS. I know know that if I stay under that limit, I’m fine. Sure, I have no issue with the stock speedo/tyre setting either, but I just prefer this method. Plus, I live in, and mostly travel to, states other than Victoria and South Australia (where Peter lives), and the other states are far more relaxed. They will not “ping you” unless you are 10% + over the limit........but I’m sure that will change in time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Yeah.....they are getting well over the top now, Possible

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

After 21 years of no issues, we had one just last week. Driving a hairpin turn road with 10 to 15 mph curves. Got behind two loaded gravel trucks going down the hill. Their top speed was 5 mph and we were forced to follow for at least five miles. When we got to the end of the curves at the edge of a small town, I decided to blow around those darn trucks. Had to cross the double yellow to do it, but there was three blocks of clear road ahead and good visibility. We passed the trucks and guess what??? The police car came out of a parking lot from the opposite direction, and blue lighted us. He was driving a black, unmarked pick up truck. We pulled over and had a friendly conversation. It started with "do you know what you just did?"

The conversation stayed friendly, he checked my license and did not find the axe murder warrant. So we were let go, with just a verbal warning. Also had a nice conversation about Spyders. Thanks Randy the Sheriff.

UNHIJACK
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-17-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that AR!

A timely reminder that the majority of the Police out there are just regular people doing their jobs to the best of their ability, often with little room for discretion in the how &/or why, & so they deserve our Utmost Respect & Appreciation for that!

And I won't delve any further into the policies & legislation that the Police get tasked with enforcing, cos I'm pretty sure I'd get into trouble with the Moderators here!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!