Spyder Garage

Default Driver to passenger communication

Have been riding motorcycle well over 40 years and really think my shouting at the top of our lungs to hear each other while going down the highway just may be old school. I'm looking for recommendations on what other people use to talk to each other while traveling down the road without gasping for air after we shout to each other and repeat each other at least 2 or 3 times before we understand what the other person said.

What is everybody using and how reliable is the system? What about clarity of the speakers and will any system mount to any helmet that is out there? I know there are several manufactures out there, but would like to find something that won't break the bank. So everybody tell me what you are using and why. Thanks for helping this hard of hearing old man out.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

We have used Sena equipment for a few years. Currently the 10R, but am thinking of going to the newer Mesh system (50R and 50S). The Mesh is nice if you want to talk to multiple people in a group of riders. If all you want is rider to passenger then any of the others would be fine. We tried the Cardo brand before, but were very disappointed in it's performance.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will be getting MANY replies that will mention Sena and/or Cardo, maybe even a few other brands. I have friends that use Sena, I think one might still have a Cardo (he might have changed by now). My sister and her husband have Sena 50S and enjoy them.

I have gone the other way, by using a system that still uses cords from bike to helmet.
    The Bluetooth units from Sena, etc. are not exactly cheap, but for us to use it would involve a rather healthy investment, as we ride with a Goldwing group most of the time and they all have CB radios. My Goldwing, my old Suzuki and my wife's old Suzuki all have CBs, so it made sense FOR US to stick with a CB radio in the form of a J&M radio. It includes intercom for rider and passenger and also has an AUX input that plugs in to our XM radios. Could also plug it into a phone or anything else with a 3.5mm audio jack.

The very distinct DISadvantage of going with the CB is that we have found that very few Spyder riders have one, so we can't communicate with anyone else in the group while riding.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sena, Uclear, Cardo are the top brands. Buy a dual set so they come paired to each other. They can also be paired to phones and GPS. They'll fit in most any helmet. There are videos on how to install and use them.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I've tried many of the Intercomm systems available over the years, including those most popular with & recommended by many here, until eventually settling on U-Clear - they are by FAAARRR the clearest & best Comms units I've used when it comes to sound clarity & road/wind noise reduction, etc; AND you don't need a boom mic or any extra mic for that matter, cos there's a mic built into the leading edge of each of the 'speakers' that fit inside your helmet just where your ears are! . And they work so well that I don't even hafta wear the hearing aids that I should (after years of Active Service & loud engines etc) altho if I do, that's not an issue either, nor is there any reduction in the comfort of my helmet fit!

Rider/Passenger communication is a breeze, just use your normal speaking voice; and whenever I do bother to answer the phone while out ryding, I usually hafta tell the caller that I'm out on the Spyder, because the sound quality on their end is BETTER than they'd get if I was in the car using that bluetooth phone connection, &/or even better than talking on the phone in public where there's any background noise!! Unless I'm on the phone a lot or listening to the GPS guide a heap, the battery charge usually lasts a couple of days before requiring a 4 hour or so re-charge; and the range is pretty good all the time, even when 'line-of-sight' is reduced by buildings, trees, hills, etc - and they'll link with a string of up to 8 (or is it 10??) other units in convoy to provide much further range too. Plus, the kit I puchased not only provided a couple of stick-on mount points to go permanently on our 'usual' helmets, but it also provided a variety of extra 'clip-on' mount points so that I can easily swap the U-Clear units & speakers across to whatever other helmets/vehicles we might want to use - so we can use them whenever we're out on the push-bikes, trail bikes, the quads, water ski-ing, gliding, parachuting... basically wherever we want comms &/or use other helmets - I've frequently just used the velcro mount to put one unit & speakers on the dash of the 4WD so that the Child Bride could talk to me while I was out on the bike playi.... errmm, 'trail-blazing' a few kms ahead! Best Comms units I've ever had!

Check 'em out - https://www.ucleardigital.com/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have the Sena 20s evos and I like them very much .Conversation between my wife and I is very good as is the music I receive from the Spyder radio or my phone. Buy from Motorcycledave.com a sponsor here.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Ex-Rocket

I currently use a Cardo system and am happy with the unit. My main interest is to communicate with my passenger which it does well. I use the FM radio built into the Cardo unit more often than the Spyder radio. With my three quarter helmet I find it difficult to hear communication and the radio at general highway speeds (helmet issue not Cardo issue) so recently I have been using ear buds connected to the Cardo. The ear buds really work well but is somewhat of a hassle to use.

I have pared the Cardo unit with my phone which I don’t use very often. There are also other bells and whistles available which I don’t use.

I do need to say that the few times I contacted Cardo’s technical support they have been very helpful.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Cardo Freecom 2 here. Bought a pair of them from Amazon fairly cheap as the Freecom 2+ was out at the time. It does everything I need it to.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

The only one I have used is the Sena 50S, no complaints at all. I can chat with my wife, answer my phone, listen to fm radio, use androind auto and maps and I Heart radio.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sena for the last 7 years. An old SMH5 unit that I've replaced the batteries but had no other problems. I does exactly what we need.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Have been riding motorcycle well over 40 years and really think my shouting at the top of our lungs to hear each other while going down the highway just may be old school. I'm looking for recommendations on what other people use to talk to each other while traveling down the road without gasping for air after we shout to each other and repeat each other at least 2 or 3 times before we understand what the other person said.

What is everybody using and how reliable is the system? What about clarity of the speakers and will any system mount to any helmet that is out there? I know there are several manufactures out there, but would like to find something that won't break the bank. So everybody tell me what you are using and why. Thanks for helping this hard of hearing old man out.
    uclear no mics just good speakers love them

Spyder Garage

I have tried Cardo, Sena, Nolan n-com, and one other brand....forgot the name, but you had a wire running between driver and passenger. A waste of time, and money IMO.

We find Sena to be the most noiseless, and trouble free. Started out with 5's, then 10's, now have the Bell Helmet with the "built in" Sena's.

Linda no longer rides passenger (since 2012), and now has her own F3. The Sena's give us reception up to three or four blocks (direct line of sight).

Lots of good brands out there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I got the FODSPORTS M1-S pro. Price is reasonable. They have worked great since I've owned them, about 2 years. Got them thru Amazon.
    They are available as a two pavk or individually.

Spyder Garage

I bought the (Pack talk Bold Duo) headset to communicate with DW while ryding. They come paired together right out of the box.They have both BT and DMC modes.
    The battery will last for several hours while out ryding. You can BT your phone and GPS to the headset. I really like the sound quality too. They have the JBL SPEAKERS
    and the install into two different helmets for me and the wife was very simple. Did it myself. First time ever installing helmets communication units.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic