Spyder Garage

Default Should I upgrade or should I keep it?

Haven't posted in a very very long time.
    Had a 2008, then traded in for a 2010 RTS back in 2010. In 10 years I _only_ have about 25k miles. Mostly commuting for work. Always garaged.

Kelly Blue Book value is much less than I would expect even with lots of farkles.

If I traded in for a new RTS I would probably have to lay out another 20k.

Should I keep it or trade in?
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Do you really want to go in hock for a new Spyder at ???? price or continue riding what you now own? FWIW, farkles aren't worth squat on trade in.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Had a 2008, then traded in for a 2010 RTS back in 2010. In 10 years I _only_ have about 25k miles. Mostly commuting for work. Always garaged.

Kelly Blue Book value is much less than I would expect even with lots of farkles.

Huge improvements in 10 years. 1330 motor, improved suspension, better dash, same crappy tires. You won't find a "new" RT-S. For 2020, the RT only came in (2) flavors, base/standard and Limited. Same for 2021 except for the one year Sea to Sky which is based off the Limited.

Farkles won't get you much, if any, more money unless you can find someone who wants exactly those farkles. If you can find a 2020 base model, you might get away w/$20k. More than likely, the 2020s are gone and you'll find a 2021. The base models are going for about $24k minus whatever the dealer will give you in trade (which won't be much, maybe $6k?). There are quite a few on here (not me) who have purchased from iMotorsports. I think they're out of the Chicago area and they offer free delivery of the new ride and pick up of your trade (if you go that route). I'm told they're pretty easy to work with. I didn't find that but it could have been the their (sorry...salesman) I worked with. If Mike is still there, do NOT work with him.

Spyder Garage

Default buy a boat

Honestly I keep vehicles till the wheels fall off. If your is well maintained ---- it has a lot of life left in it. Does you Spyder have problems?? Get the ECU flashed and really put some life into that V-twin.

Lew L

I peeked at your mods, They are great------ How many would you do to a new spyder??????? Get the ECU flashed and really put some life into that V-twin.. Save your money and buy a boat
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

If my 2012 was the SE model I would not have sold and bought a 2016 SE model. To me the 998 was a hot rod. For those few miles annually you will possibly have just as much fun with what you have AND have 20K more in your pockets. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What will you get out of the new one that you don't get with the old one? Just looking something new and different?
    You've owned it for 10 years, maybe the new just finally wore off. Bottom line is it's your money.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I'm still ryding my 2013 RT Ltd with significantly more miles on it than yours now simply because I've never found enough of a reason to upgrade it in any of the newer models! Yeah, having a real alternator might be 'nice', but not enough to get over the fact that the 1330 motor is a real disappointment to me, aand no matter what you do to it/its inlet/exhaust systems, it still sounds like a run-away sewing machine!

As far as I'm concered (& the Child Bride agrees ) my V-twin 998 RT is far more exciting to ryde than any of the 1330's we've tried, even the modded machines. And talking of mods, I hafta say did toss the OE spec Kenda tires before I hit 4,000 miles (cos they were crap & completely worn out!) and I've been successfully & very happily running 'real' tires ever since, getting better performance in all respects & they're cheaper too, as well as lasting/performing over 3 times as long to boot. I fitted a BajaRon upgrade Swaybar & End Links early in the piece, and I fitted a Cat Eliminator, modded the OE muffler & air intake, and got an ECU Upgrade done a few years back, which not only gave me more power & torque than most 1330's can muster, giving me more on tap than I can safely use on the public roads (bleedin' fantabulous on the track/closed roads tho!) but it also improved my 'just cruisin' (at about 70-75mph) touring range enough to match most standard 1330's too, so I don't see any reason to give up my 'sporty & exciting to ride' early Spyder for anything newer & more boring!

So for my 2 bob's worth, unless there's some particular reason or feature driving you to want to 'upgrade', then why the heck would you?? Keep it; maybe spend a tiny portion of what you would on a newer Spyder to give it a little bit of a 'freshen up', and just keep on enjoying it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Just looking something new and different?
    You've owned it for 10 years, maybe the new just finally wore off. Bottom line is it's your money.
    I have been trying to decide if I want to get a 2020 or 2021 RT, and trade in my 2016 F3T. Although I like a lot of stuff on the new one, there are equally as many things that I like better on my F3T. Bottom line is that I have 24k on my current ride, and it is proven to be in great shape. I can keep this current one and possibly pick up another fun ride for the $10k-12k that I would have to shell out in addition to giving up a proven winner.
    Good luck with your choices.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice here. I think I would go with Lew and Peter on their choices. An ECU upgrade will make it new again. But the boat thing, bad idea. A boat is just a hole in the water you keep throwing money into. Been there done that, and I'm still at it. LOL Everybody wants to go out on the water, but nobody is around when it comes time to fuel or fix it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always heard that the two happiest days in a boater's life is when he buys a new boat, and then when he sells it.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

@possible, That's a frase, my father used to use, hahaha
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Guess you two didn't notice the after my boat comment. It's a joke. Really--- it's a JOKE. I've owned a boat ( 2 actually) in my youth. One small hydroplane and one catamaran so I know the pitfalls of boat ownership.
    Some have said the same thing about my poor,old, slow V-Max------ obviously they have never experienced V-Boost on a old poor handling motorcycle.

Remember---- It's a joke.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post

A hard decision. I note you bought a "premier edition." I had one of those also (#474). I kept mine until 2014 and 36,500 miles.
    Had to have the newest and greatest. Turns out, they were not any more valuable than the run of the mill versions. As said above, farkles on a machine that old, are worth mostly nothing. You never get your money out of farkles. The amount you ride indicates that you have a barely broken in machine. They are good for well over 100K.

KBB says the value for the 2010 Premier for trade in is $7,930 and the List is $11,150. The amount you get for it will depend on what you do. The "real" price will fall somewhere in between. Let's say that yours will be ballpark $10K.

The latest and greatest is a really good machine. There are also some alternatives. After 12 years, I gravitated to the F3L. They are almost as nice, and you will save about $4K over an RT. Test driving will help you determine if the change over would be for you.

The new 1330 (since 2014) is a great improvement over the 998 twin. They run quieter, have an extra gear, require less maintenance, and run at lower rpms. The sweet spot is 3500 (not 5500) as in the 998's. That is worth looking at if you want to make an improvement. If you go F3, you are looking at about $14K difference. If you go RT, the $17K or so is the cost.

Only you can decide if it is time to keep it, sell it, or trade it off. Good luck in your hunt, and
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-12-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You're asking, so I'll give you my advice.
    There are massive, MASSIVE improvements to the Spyder in the years ensuing 2010.
    I know. I had a 2010, then the next generation at 2014, and the third generation at 2020.
    However, I don't think you're using the Spyder enough to be able to take advantage of the MASSIVE improvements.
    Having said that, only you can determine how much money you have and how much you value your riding experience.
    Take a test ride and get a feel yourself. If you like it and you have some patience wait a year or so.
    The annual depreciation in value of your bike has probably leveled out. The depreciation on the newer models is still relatively high. In a year or two the 2020 will be more affordable.
    I forget, did I say there were MASSIVE improvements over the years ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I've always heard that the two happiest days in a boater's life is when he buys a new boat, and then when he sells it.
    I have heard the same thing about Harley owners ( I was one, and it's true )

Spyder Garage

Keep it. Look at it this way, if you have a reliable RT and don't ride much, why go into debt and possibly get a lemon.

I have a 22 year old pickup truck. My wife asked me when I was going to get rid of that old thing. I told her I don't get rid of things just because they are old. I still have you, don't I?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Keep it. Look at it this way, if you have a reliable RT and don't ride much, why go into debt and possibly get a lemon.

I have a 22 year old pickup truck. My wife asked me when I was going to get rid of that old thing. I told her I don't get rid of things just because they are old. I still have you, don't I?
    And if we don't hear from you for a while we'll know why. lol
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

improvements however BRP connect
    New dash “To each their own”. Would least visit dealer enjoy a test rYde. Philosophy: bought new; 100k miles minimum, Unless unforeseen circumstance new wears off

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights