Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default After User reports on Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires?

I will need to replace my rear tire later this year. I currently have a General Altimax RT43 with 21,000 miles on it and enough tread to get me to 25,000 miles or more. I have heard positive comments about the Quatrac 5. For anyone using one how is the mileage and handling? Would consider switching from the RT43 if the reports are positive. Thanks!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I'm running Q-5s all around. Not enough miles to estimate life but the traction is far better than the oems. The Q-5 is an all-weather tire with lots of siping for wet grip.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Does it come in a 225/50R15 or anything close to that size, from what I see their 205/60R15 is the closest.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

How loud are the Q5 compared to OEM?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    But it doesn't come even close to the Traction ( wet / dry ) that the Q-5 has .... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd many here have posted that the Kumho loses what traction in wet it does have at around 15,000 miles .... Not a bargain in my book .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    How loud are the Q5 compared to OEM?
    ... The OP isn't concerned about " tire noise " ....and if this is something that is important to you ..... why do you even own a Spyder ????? ..... Stick with Cadillac's and Bentley's ......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have Q5s on my wife's RT-S.

175/55 up front, 205/60 on the rear. Although the rear is a bit narrower than stock, the 60-series aspect ratio make is just a wee bit taller than stock, which removes the inherent speedometer error.

Never paid much attention to tire noise, but the handling difference from the stock tires is, quite litterally, night and day.

If you listen to Mike (Blueknight911) and Peter (Peter Aawen), you will learn that even the worst "car" tire is better than the stock tires, but be aware that some are MUCH better. The Q5 is generally regarded as being among the best.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm running Q-5s all around. Not enough miles to estimate life but the traction is far better than the oems. The Q-5 is an all-weather tire with lots of siping for wet grip.
    Grease on a bowling alley has more grip than oem Kendas...

Spyder Garage

I put the Q5's all around on mine. I'm guessing they had some kind of preservative on them as they didn't impress me at first and the rear kept breaking loose. After some few miles - maybe 30-40, they're much better.

I originally had the OEM Kendas on the front and a Kumho on the rear. It's what the tryke came with so I can't speak to anything else, but I had plenty of grip with the combination. Nanny shut me down well before anything started sliding. In the end, I haven't noticed a huge difference with the Q5s. Different tire pressures - 17F 18R - but other than that, ride and grip seem about the same to me.

Yes, I know I'm in the minority here, but that's my take on it. Figured it'd be good to have differing opinions.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I have the vredsteins on the front and there isnt any noise,the kendas didnt have noise either.I have gone thru some heavy rain at high speeds and they didnt float,but im not stupid if I see puddles i slow down bc any tire is capable of floating if the speed is high enuf or puddle is too deep.My back tire is a kanine kr20 which did float once on me and the old style kenda also did it a couple times.The nanny took care of problem within a split second but I have read where some were not so lucky.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Let me ask this on the Q'5, what size is everyone running? I guess the 205/60-15 on the rear but I see a couple of different sizes being used on the front.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Let me ask this on the Q'5, what size is everyone running? I guess the 205/60-15 on the rear but I see a couple of different sizes being used on the front.
    Well I bought the 165/60-15 for the fronts, they were $13.00 less for the pair than the 175/55-1 the actual traction difference would be too small to measure. Annnnnnnnnnd because the Spyder has traction control any improvement would canceled by the Nanny ( this has been my experience ) .... The Q-5 also comes in a 205/65-15 and more than a few folks here are using it ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well I bought the 165/60-15 for the fronts, they were $13.00 less for the pair than the 175/55-1 the actual traction difference would be too small to measure. Annnnnnnnnnd because the Spyder has traction control any improvement would canceled by the Nanny ( this has been my experience ) .... The Q-5 also comes in a 205/65-15 and more than a few folks here are using it ...... Mike
    I hope that's the right size cuz that's what's being shipped to me.

Spyder Garage

The reason I ask is my Mastercraft winter tires on my truck are really loud compared to the my Wrangler summer tires and they are much deeper. With the diagonals and deeper cut I know even my car snow tires run louder. Just wondering if theres a louder whistle. Yes I can turn the music up louder to drain it out. Believe me I know about tire noise. We get close to 200 inches of snow a year same as you and there is a difference in snow tire cut vs general and these have more of a snow tire cut to them. I put close to 20000 miles a year on snow tires pulling trailers and running to work. I used to run 34’s on my 2500 and it was loud. That has no comparison to this tire size, but just wondered it there was a louder ride. I’m asking as a personal question because I am considering them also. Not a deal breaker but just curious. Thankyou Spyder01 and others who answered my question.
    ... The OP isn't concerned about " tire noise " ....and if this is something that is important to you ..... why do you even own a Spyder ????? ..... Stick with Cadillac's and Bentley's ......... Mike

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Let me ask this on the Q'5, what size is everyone running?
    175/55 on the front, for no particular reason other than that they were available and they fit.
    205/60 on the rear for pretty much the same reason, plus they are just a bit taller, and eliminate the speedo error.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I hope that's the right size cuz that's what's being shipped to me.
    Spyders can accommodate a few different front and rear tire sizes ..... the old style fenders had a much larger lip on the side that faces you .... the new style fenders have an inner guard that can cause a tire size issue ..... both issues can be easily adjusted so the tire will fit .... the 165/60-15 that I recommended fits PERFECTLY without modification. ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyders can accommodate a few different front and rear tire sizes ..... the old style fenders had a much larger lip on the side that faces you .... the new style fenders have an inner guard that can cause a tire size issue ..... both issues can be easily adjusted so the tire will fit .... the 165/60-15 that I recommended fits PERFECTLY without modification. ..... Mike
    2021 RT w/the new style fenders. New tires are set to arrive Monday so I was hoping to have them installed next weekend. Do you think I should just get 1 mounted and reinstall then, I don't know, spin the wheel/tire to see if it rubs? Getting a little concerned here. You mention the 165/60/15 first perfectly. One what bike with what fender?

Thanks, sir.

Spyder Garage

I put the 165/60-15 fronts on my 2020 RT. NO CLEARANCE ISSUES.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I put the 165/60-15 fronts on my 2020 RT. NO CLEARANCE ISSUES.
    Thanks, Ray. Looks like I'll have real tires on the bike next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Not sure what I'm going to do with rear tire. I mean, the tire itself isn't expensive but I'd have to get it to the stealer an hour away so I'd have to put it in the back of the car, deliver the tire then ride the bike over to actually have it mounted. Then, I'd need to drive back to p/u the original rear tire. Hmmmm....

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ray. Looks like I'll have real tires on the bike next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Not sure what I'm going to do with rear tire. I mean, the tire itself isn't expensive but I'd have to get it to the stealer an hour away so I'd have to put it in the back of the car, deliver the tire then ride the bike over to actually have it mounted. Then, I'd need to drive back to p/u the original rear tire. Hmmmm....
    If you feel comfortable removing your rear wheel you can take it to a tire shop and have them mount the new tire. On our last trip my OEM tire was bald 500 miles from home. I stopped at a BigO tire shop and removed the rear wheel in their parking lot and had them put a 205/65R15 on. I than installed the wheel back on. This is on my 2020 RT.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

2021 RT w/the new style fenders. New tires are set to arrive Monday so I was hoping to have them installed next weekend. Do you think I should just get 1 mounted and reinstall then, I don't know, spin the wheel/tire to see if it rubs? Getting a little concerned here. You mention the 165/60/15 first perfectly. One what bike with what fender?

Thanks, sir.
    If the rear tire isn't worn out wait until it is .... otherwise I would get all three mounted have them spin balance the fronts the rear doesn't need it ..... annnnnd that tire will fit ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has your stealer agreed to mount a tire on the rear other than a Kenda? My stealer is stickler for that sort of thing.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    If you feel comfortable removing your rear wheel you can take it to a tire shop and have them mount the new tire. On our last trip my OEM tire was bald 500 miles from home. I stopped at a BigO tire shop and removed the rear wheel in their parking lot and had them put a 205/65R15 on. I than installed the wheel back on. This is on my 2020 RT.
    Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable removing my rear wheel. I'm even a bit uncomfortable removing the front wheels only because of having to jack it up.

If the rear tire isn't worn out wait until it is .... otherwise I would get all three mounted have them spin balance the fronts the rear doesn't need it ..... annnnnd that tire will fit ...... Mike
    Plenty of tread on it, Mike. Not sure the local tire shop can spin balance the fronts. I've read something about the RT hub being too small for most spin balancers. I probably ought to get some tire beads before I take everything to the tire shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Has your stealer agreed to mount a tire on the rear other than a Kenda? My stealer is stickler for that sort of thing.
    Good question/concern. The dealer nearest to me (where I bought my 1st RT) will NOT mount anything but an OEM tire. The next closest dealer (where I bought this RT) will mount anything I give them to mount. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer is only about 15 miles away but the dealer that will mount the tire is an hour away.