Spyder Garage

Question Ohio Riders: is an MC3 Endorsement possible/acceptable?

Hi there,

I'm from NE Ohio and very interested in getting a Spyder. I don't have the motorcycle endorsement, I've never ridden a motorcycle and I don't plan to be on 2 wheels ever.

Is it possible to get just the MC3 endorsement without first having the MC2?
    If not in Ohio, can I go out of state to get the MC3 and have it be accepted in Ohio?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Prefix & title - this is a 'How do I?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Endorsement

Here in the State of Indiana you need to get your Endorsement in State. I don't know about Ohio. Try calling the BMV in Ohio. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If you have a motorcycle endorsement, it covers trikes. If you don't have a MC endorsement, you have to get a 3-whee endorsement.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCuriousGirl View Post
    Hi there,

I'm from NE Ohio and very interested in getting a Spyder. I don't have the motorcycle endorsement, I've never ridden a motorcycle and I don't plan to be on 2 wheels ever.

If not in Ohio, can I go out of state to get the MC3 and have it be accepted in Ohio?

Thanks!
    Do a search on this site....try ohio license question.....the search should answer your questions. I was just in there reading it. Good luck. In a nutshell, yes you can get just a 3 wheel endorsement.
    Last edited by bigbadbrucie; 03-11-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add to post

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

check out https://motorcycle.ohio.gov/wps/port...riders/welcome . It covers training classes for for 2 wheels and i think they provide the motorcycle. the othre option is https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...istration.html , it looks like they will have classes in Elyria
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Can am rider course

Hi there,

Thanks!
    With spring approaching, ask your local Can Am Spyder Dealer about their 2 day rider course. New to Spyders....it’s a great way to learn to ride them and get an endorsement certification to allow for license .
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I talked to the dealer but seems like there's no course scheduled in northern Ohio.

Spyder Garage

Hi there,
    I'm from NE Ohio and very interested in getting a Spyder. I don't have the motorcycle endorsement,
    ...possible to get just the MC3 endorsement
    Not sure about other states but, for an OHIO Driver License Endorsement--
    Endorsement for 2wheels qualifies you for 2 AND 3 wheelers. (You’re not interested, but worth knowing)
    Endorsement for 3wheels ONLY qualifies for trikes (cycle or scooter, state doesn’t care).

FYI- Its illegal to have a Drivers License in multiple states (as far as I know).
    (Also, you cannot add a State”B” Endorsement to an existing State”A” License.)

Keep in mind- Registering your Spyder in State”B” and having a M Class License in State”A” is perfectly legal.
    Should have no trouble with the State doing that, but the paperwork (as always) is tiresome...
    If you go down that route, understand what your adjusted Insurance premiums will look like “garaged in” either location.
    One of them is going to be cheaper. Might help with the final decision if thats a factor you need to consider.
    Hope that helps.

Also- Agree with bikerchris1270 100% ->TAKE THE CLASS! <-
    you won’t regret it. It’ll boost your riding skill & knowledge right out of the gate.

Going from straight from “90second test ride” to “Ownership” isn’t hard but...
    you’ll miss alot of the little things.

GoodLuck!
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    With spring approaching, ask your local Can Am Spyder Dealer about their 2 day rider course. New to Spyders....it’s a great way to learn to ride them and get an endorsement certification to allow for license .
    That course will not get you your endorsement in Ohio. Its not certified. Like others have said you can get a 3 wheel endorsement in OH. It just covers you on 3 wheels. regular M1 will cover you on both. Regardless of which one you want you first have to take the written test. Its the same for both 2 and 3 to get your temps. After that you can sign up for the states rider safety course (fills up in a day so you missed it this spring) or take the test. On a 3 wheel its not very hard.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

I don't know where you live in ohio but I went to Balance Dynamics in Walton ky. Phone 859 485 2925 they have a 3 wheel class that is good for ohio licence I have been street riding on 2 wheels for over 50 year and when I got my Snyder I went there it was a blast the instructors were great they have a very nice place and good equipment and can am pays for most of class it will only cost you 90.00 dollars. It well worth it.

Spyder Garage

Also they have weekday class and weekend class

Spyder Garage

I'm in CA where we don't need any endorsement for three wheels, but I decided to get my regular (two wheel) motorcycle endorsement as well, and I'm glad I did. I ride with two wheelers when I'm in a group, and it really helps to have ridden on two wheels, and it also saves on insurance. There are no doubt many more classes as well. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

It does help to have some bicycle experience (mine was ancient) and to be able to drive a stick shift car (I don't), but even so I did fine and got my certificate.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    I don't know where you live in ohio but I went to Balance Dynamics in Walton ky. Phone 859 485 2925 they have a 3 wheel class that is good for ohio licence I have been street riding on 2 wheels for over 50 year and when I got my Snyder I went there it was a blast the instructors were great they have a very nice place and good equipment and can am pays for most of class it will only cost you 90.00 dollars. It well worth it.
    So I am going through this now for my wife. I have my two wheel and have for years. She is getting her 3 wheel. Talking with the DMV and looking at the DMV site you either have to take a state sponsored course or you can do a private course. They list the private companies out. No Spyder course being offered in Ohio is part of that list. The state and private courses are a minimum of 16 hours. In NE Ohio we have one Can Am course and when I ask the DMV they said that will not get you the endorsement. You still have to take the 2 or 3 wheel test.

That being said you can look up the driving test on the BMV site. It is crazy easy. I would not worry about passing it.

Spyder Garage

Thank you! This seems to be the right path for me. It's a nice mini-vacation since I'm near Cleveland.

Spyder Garage

Go to the BRP website. There are 3 wheel training courses in Cincinnati and Elyria (as LazyR stated in post #5). BRP offers the course for $99 but you have to sign up through BRP.

Spyder Garage

You will have a good time at. Balance Dynamic the instructor were great the owner is really into the training making sure you get everything you need he owns the place and the course is right there on the property nice place new can am. Plenty of course time they do not rush you if you have a problem they take all the time you need to get it right. In my class there was 4 females and 4 males all different ages. Good luck and have fun

Spyder Garage

You will have a good time at. Balance Dynamic the instructor were great the owner is really into the training making sure you get everything you need he owns the place and the course is right there on the property nice place new can am. Plenty of course time they do not rush you if you have a problem they take all the time you need to get it right. In my class there was 4 females and 4 males all different ages. Good luck and have fun
    Did they tell you that completion of that $99 course would qualify you for the 3 wheel endorsement in OH without having to take the skills test? The BMV told my wife it does not. We where told only the motorcycle safety course via the BMV link would do that.

Spyder Garage

They gave me paper work for ohio and KY. But to make sure call them they did the paper work for CAN AM.Also. phone number 859 485 2925. I already had my. Ohio endorsement. The course is two days long it is 16 hours

Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with. Balance Dynamic i talk to the owner the class will get you your. Endorsement you have to have your temporary or learning permit what ever you what to call it before the class starts after the class they give you paper work you take a picture of it Ted or fax to the place on the form they gave you them go to the BMV and they will issue your Endorsement. He also said class are filling up so if you are plaining on getting yours soon I would call and get signed up. You will have fun and learn a lot i hope this helps everyone

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the help.