Spyder Garage

Default Another Beta Tester

Going to Lamonster Garage to have service and farkling on my two F3's.

I need a new rear tire for the 2019 F3 (13K miles).

Last time, I had Federals installed on my 2014. They no longer sell the Federal but do have the Kenda K9's.

Going to give that one a try to see how it performs compared to the OEM Kenda's. It will take a year or so, but I will keep the site posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Standing by Sir.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Going to Lamonster Garage to have service and farkling on my two F3's.

I need a new rear tire for the 2019 F3 (13K miles).

Last time, I had Federals installed on my 2014. They no longer sell the Federal but do have the Kenda K9's.

Going to give that one a try to see how it performs compared to the OEM Kenda's. It will take a year or so, but I will keep the site posted.
    Good luck, I researched them back a few months ago .... and except for the tread appearance, the casing is the same as the other Kenda's of the past ..... They May have changed the tread compound but that info is proprietary. ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Are you allowed to supply your choice of tires? Just a thought. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Are you allowed to supply your choice of tires? Just a thought. ......
    When dealing with Lamonster, I have taken what he has available. A phone call, PM, or e-mail should get you a quick answer to the "can you supply the tire question." It would be an easy thing because supplier could ship them direct to LM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Good luck, I researched them back a few months ago .... and except for the tread appearance, the casing is the same as the other Kenda's of the past ..... They May have changed the tread compound but that info is proprietary. ..... Mike
    I do thank you for the research. Given the opportunity, I am going to Beta Test for the site. I know there are few others out there, but I don't remember who now, and they have been very quiet about the subject. Maybe, "no news, is good news?"

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was going to give the K9s a try but decided not to. Just ordered a pair of Q5s.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Q5's

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I was going to give the K9s a try but decided not to. Just ordered a pair of Q5s.
    Smart move. I'm VERY happy with my Q5's.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I do thank you for the research. Given the opportunity, I am going to Beta Test for the site. I know there are few others out there, but I don't remember who now, and they have been very quiet about the subject. Maybe, "no news, is good news?"
    Or maybe, they're just too embarrased to tell us that the Kanine's are no better than the OE Spec Kendas??

I feel that's probably had some impact on the 'reported experience' here in Oz - after taking a fair while before we got any of them into this country, even then only a few managed to get a set of Kanine's to try before they (suddenly??) once more became very difficult if not impossible to actually get..... altho maybe I was just being deliberately stonewalled in that respect!

Still, at least so far, only a few of those who did manage to get a set have responded to requests for feedback - and of those who have, the overwhelming response reported here has been 'Don't bother!' or 'No better!' That said, it could just be that those responding to my requests for feedback already know of my disgust with the OE Spec Kendas (I don't think I've tried to hide that! ) so possibly they just aren't too keen on telling me anything else about the Kanines.... . There again, the reported % of those who've tried them only to toss them & swap them for other tires within just a couple of thousand miles seems to be fairly indicative that they really aren't all that much better than the original spec tires - at least not here in Oz on our roads/road surfaces & our temps/conditions anyway!

But I must add the caveat here that I haven't personally been able to get my hands on a set to try; so some reporting/feedback from someone who HAS been able to run them & is prepared to put a little effort into testing them AND reporting back in some detail would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the encouragement. Since I ride over a thousand miles a month, by this time next year I will have a good idea if the K9's are going to be keepers or not.

I will either keep them or dump them. Lots of places here to get the tires I want. One big point, the mileage has to be way better.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have the K9 on the rear, good grip most of the time. In quick stop, rear slides, on rain the grip is not as good so I slow down more. My experience so far.

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    I have the K9 on the rear, good grip most of the time. In quick stop, rear slides, on rain the grip is not as good so I slow down more. My experience so far.
    How many miles have you done on them so far, Big?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the K9 on the rear and have stopped many times hard. Rear never slides for me.

Cant say much for wet weather yet with the Covid thing , I didnt get out as much last year riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    How many miles have you done on them so far, Big?
    I've got 1,500 miles on it so far. I really like the tire overall, but liked my Yokohama rear tire better (It was unavailable when I needed a new tire). Part of that sliding may be my body weight (325) that get's pushed forward by inertia from a quick stop, same with wet situations, but hey, I'm not an expert, but those are my experiences with my bike and riding (maybe I also ride a "little" to hard and aggressive?).

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It’s always amazing to me the differences of opinion on tires, oil, etc., related to Spyders or any other equipment. I’ve had three Spyders, an RS, am RT and now an F3Ltd. I’ve traveled the country putting upward of 141K on them. Unscientifically, regardless of the model, Kenda’s have done just fine, performed in all kinds of weather, road surfaces, temperatures and tread life and at a decent price point. I tend to ryde hard and fast and much of my time is spent on all the twisties I can find. The Kenda’s, from OEM to the current K9 have lasted as long or longer than the Federal, Yokahoma, and other brands I’ve tried. They have done so with none of the skid, sway, side turn chatter or other road handling issues. My K9 fronts have 17K this morning. The rear K9 has 13K. It’s an individual choice. I’ve been very satisfied with the Kenda’s over the years.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    It’s always amazing to me the differences of opinion on tires, oil, etc., related to Spyders or any other equipment. I’ve had three Spyders, an RS, am RT and now an F3Ltd. I’ve traveled the country putting upward of 141K on them. Unscientifically, regardless of the model, Kenda’s have done just fine, performed in all kinds of weather, road surfaces, temperatures and tread life and at a decent price point. I tend to ryde hard and fast and much of my time is spent on all the twisties I can find. The Kenda’s, from OEM to the current K9 have lasted as long or longer than the Federal, Yokahoma, and other brands I’ve tried. They have done so with none of the skid, sway, side turn chatter or other road handling issues. My K9 fronts have 17K this morning. The rear K9 has 13K. It’s an individual choice. I’ve been very satisfied with the Kenda’s over the years.
    x2. You said it better than I did. An opposing view from most, but right on, IMO.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Got my Kanine on the rear today, rode well for the 25 or so miles home. We’ll see... has to last longer than the original Kenda does!
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

I previously owned a 2014 Spyder RTL and went through two Kenda original rear tires. Less than 4500 miles on each tire and they were wore down to the tread wear indicators. I was going to go to a car tire and then the Kenda Kanine came along and decided to give it a try. I put 2100 miles on that tire and it showed no signs of wear and it seemed to me that the Spyder handled better.
    I sold that Spyder and bought a new 2021 RTL. When the time comes to change the rear tire on the 2021 I will go with the Kenda Kanine.

Spyder Garage

QUESTION: How many sidewall plies in front and rear Kanines? How many in the tread?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Ive got 13k on my rear k9 and while I feel its doing a good job of holding and not hydroplaning it is looking like it wont last out the summer.I was hoping for maybe 25k but thats not happening.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

An old saying "Fool me once Shame on You! Fool me TWICE shame on ME!"
    No more Kendas for me even if FREE.
    AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire

Any updates on the Kenda beta testing? I will need to get the rear tire replaced in near future. Dealer will not install a car tire. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue