Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Which wire is the Ignition power source?

Hi guys, lot of you know that I like to play around with my F3s. This time I have serious technical question.
    I need to find -> the wire that sends 12 volts to your engine’s coil/ignition system when the key is turned on
    Now I am looking at that bloody ignition box that has 4 cables coming out..
    Left and Right are just Frunk and Rear Seat "mechanical opener" cables.. not important at all...

I have DESS antena that goes all the way to where is the Battery
    and I have DESS cable that has like i dont know.. XY tiny cables.. Now the questions is, what cable is the one I am looking for?

Thanx for help.. I am reading the service manual - the big fat professional one, but its not really there or maybe I am blind...
    Martin

Spyder Garage

hi martin violet/blue violet/green or violet/orange depending on which coil. this is as per my 2019 manual

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are looking for the wire from the ignition switch that powers the spark plug coils you won't find it. It doesn't exist! power to the coils and injectors comes directly from the ECM. On my 2014 RT wiring diagram there are two power leads from the ignition. One is orange and goes to lights. The other is orange/pink and powers up a bunch of other stuff.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Is this so you can power the flame system you are building?
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Yes, exactly, but it seems that what buddy above said, it wont be possible ((((
    or better said, unless i will cut every single cable that goes somehow to sparkplugs ((
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Is this so you can power the flame system you are building?

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    thanx for reply, very useful!!!! But why always there must be a hard way ((
    is there a way to send me your RT diagram please.? martinthevlogger@gmail.com is my mail... i think RT has a lot common with F3s from 2015.
    there must be a way... or do you think there is not???
    any idea how the coils get ground signal?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you are looking for the wire from the ignition switch that powers the spark plug coils you won't find it. It doesn't exist! power to the coils and injectors comes directly from the ECM. On my 2014 RT wiring diagram there are two power leads from the ignition. One is orange and goes to lights. The other is orange/pink and powers up a bunch of other stuff.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    hi martin violet/blue violet/green or violet/orange depending on which coil. this is as per my 2019 manual

now i am getting bit confused... guys
    are those cables going from DESS big chunk of cables from ignition, or is this located somewhere else...
    coz there is different story what Mr. Idaho posted and that also seems logical... (((

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    now i am getting bit confused... guys
    are those cables going from DESS big chunk of cables from ignition, or is this located somewhere else...
    coz there is different story what Mr. Idaho posted and that also seems logical... (((
    I believe he's referring to the DESS antenna coil that surrounds the ignition key area. It picks up the ID signal from the key so the DESS can determine if the key is legitimate or not. None of the wires in the bundle go to the DESS from what I can see on the wiring diagram. It's a separate cable.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Hi,
    thanx for reply, very useful!!!! But why always there must be a hard way ((
    is there a way to send me your RT diagram please.? martinthevlogger@gmail.com is my mail... i think RT has a lot common with F3s from 2015.
    there must be a way... or do you think there is not???
    any idea how the coils get ground signal?
    It's actually not hard, just very sophisticated!

First, I suggest you buy a copy of the service manual for your F3. It's about 30 USD from www.canammanuals.com.

The coils do not connect to ground. They get power from a relay activated by the ignition, and then on the ground side they connect to the ECM. The ECM controls them by making/breaking the connection to ground internally in the ECM. Most of the items on the Spyder are connected to power and controlled by switching the ground side. That is normal Japanese method, and I think European method. I'm not sure how many countries besides the US typically control power by switching the power side. I wouldn't connect anything to the ignition coils circuits. You could easily upset the ECM.

Here are a couple of diagram portions that may help you.

Ignition switch wiring.jpg Injector & coil wiring.jpg

2014 Copper RTS