Spyder Garage

Default More on brake pedal 2020 RTL

There was a recent thread here about lowering the brake pedal on a 2020 RTL. Another option is to raise the floorboards as someone mentioned in that thread. Lamonster has an adapter to do that. I took a block of wood 1 and 1/2 inch thick and laid it on the floorboard to check out what raising the floorboards would feel like. It did position the brake pedal as near as I can tell just about right . I liked the results.

It also naturally raised my leg up a little bit and I'm not so sure I want to do that. However I'm not so sure I don't want to do it. I'm 5'11", inseam 32". I didn't really find that the position was bad it was just different. I know I have found in riding the spider that at times I pulled my legs back to where they're more under me then they are positioned out. I have not felt that I needed to push my feet out further. But that brake pedal problem is a bit of an issue for me because of my bad knees and I'm finding my reaction time and getting to the brake probably isn't the best. I really would like to get the floorboard relationship to the brake pedal improved on.

I'm thinking of cutting a board to better fit the floorboards and tape it to them to replicate how it feels riding. Opinions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    I'm thinking of cutting a board to better fit the floorboards and tape it to them to replicate how it feels riding. Opinions?
    Couple of opinions. First, be damn sure you are able to keep the FULL brake pedal travel under/with the new wood. Second, one of the key steps in cornering on a Spyder is to firmly plant your outside foot during cornering. (I've planted it hard enough is serious cornering to lift my arse off the seat.) With a piece of wood taped to the floorboard, A) you don't have much traction and B) it may come off the floorboard. If your foot slips off or the whole piece of wood slips off, you might lose control and have an unintended dismount.

Spyder Garage

They make a hand brake that replaces the foot brake, it’s a little salty. Search spyder hand brake on here.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried drilling a similar size hole just aft of the original on the front end yoke of the brake rod? Then moving the pin there to lower the brake pedal. Free and it might do the trick for you.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Lamonster floor board riser was about the easiest mod I have put on my 2020RTL. It puts the heel of the brake pedal at a perfect height. This mod also improved the mount and dismount. (especially when the back rest is in position) Very happy with this add-on and would recommend for anyone under 6ft tall.

Spyder Garage

I'm unsure about raising the floorboards 1 1/2 in so before I spent the money I mocked up a wooden plate that I fastened to the top of the floorboards to simulate raising the floorboards. And I've had a few surprises doing this.

The reason for doing this is so I can pivot my foot to apply the brake pedal and not raise it because of knee problems I have, not for riding position issues. Well the first thing that surprised me was I got into some twisties and for reasons that I don't quite understand it seems as though I have better control of the spider in the curves. A surprising plus. The downside is that the rise of a flowboards is a little bit too much for the brake pedal. If I do a severe break maneuver I'm actually pushing my toe downward below the floor board. It's not anything that causes me a control problem but it's just something I'm not quite liking and I wish the floorboards was raised probably about an inch instead of an inch and a half.

You more experienced riders with this spider.... Why would the floorboards be raised improve my feel in the curves?

On edit, I'll add what Knizar mentioned.....it does really help with mount/dismount, and this old man appreciates that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More leverage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post

You more experienced riders with this spider.... Why would the floorboards be raised improve my feel in the curves?
    With your knees bent a little more you can move around in the saddle easier. This allows you to lean into the corner easier. When your legs are bent, the muscles in the front of your thighs have more room to flex and help you to "fight the power" in the corners as well. That is why sport bike riders ride with their legs bent and directly under them......Leverage, just like Monk said.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    With your knees bent a little more you can move around in the saddle easier. This allows you to lean into the corner easier. When your legs are bent, the muscles in the front of your thighs have more room to flex and help you to "fight the power" in the corners as well. That is why sport bike riders ride with their legs bent and directly under them......Leverage, just like Monk said.

Just sayin'...........
    I really didn't notice doing anything differently. Wasn't aggressive driving. It's just that I was taking the curves more smoothly. Was aware something was different in a good way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get The RISER !!! Best thing I've done on my RTL 2020 is the 2" Lamonster handlebar riser, 2nd Best thing is the 1.5" floor board riser. Both easy installation. I'm 5'10" and 70yrs old. Old age Sucks!!!
    Last edited by Knizar; 03-18-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: I'm Not 6'10'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Get The RISER !!! Best thing I've done on my RTL 2020 is the 2" Lamonster handlebar riser, 2nd Best thing is the 1.5" floor board riser. Both easy installation. I'm 5'10" and 70yrs old. Old age Sucks!!!
    I hear that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    They make a hand brake that replaces the foot brake, it’s a little salty. Search spyder hand brake on here.
    A company names ISCI makes a handbrake kit for Spyder, and does have one now for new models. I put one on my 2018 and loved it. It activates the existing brake pedal using a handlebar mounted hydraulic system,,.....so works on both front and back brakes, James as the existing pedal. The pull is a little harder than most bikes, but was GREAT for traffic in town and my reaction time to the handbrake was much faster. You still should use the foot brake in many/most cases though, as you will have more leverage in a pick stop. I used my handbrake about 60% of the time alone, and the rest hit the handbrake while transitioning the foot to the footbrake. One nice thing, at least on the 2018, is that the ISCI system "pulled" the footbrake down towards the board so that it was much easier/lower to get your foot in place. I loved my ISCI handbrake, although a little expensive. For anyone worried about the quality of the parts they uses, everything was heavy duty, we'll mounted, fairly easy install, and used the same hand control and master cylinder from a Harley Davidson,
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My inseam is 29", at 5'7" tall, I have the foot brake riser and it gives me more leverage on the brake if necessary. I'm quite used to lifting my foot just a bit to engage the foot brake so I don't find it a safety problem, plus I do give special attention vehicle ahead spacing. I've given some thought to the Lamonster floor board riser and how it would affect an emergency stop and brake pedal pressure. I do like the floor board riser and think it would be a more comfortable, but will probably stay with the OEM floor board at least for now.