Spyder Garage

Default Changing Coolant - what tools?

Getting ready to change the anit freeze in the old girl. Just as expected did not have the right tools . Looking for the size of the socket to get the drain plug out? Believe it might be 19mm. thanks guys
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not from personal experience mind you, but I have read that the drain plugs are known to fail when trying to remove them.
    Apparently they are screwed into an insert in the radiator and the insert comes out instead of the plug unscrewing. Some
    say to pull a hose rather than risk that happening.

I haven't changed Peggy's Spyder's coolant yet, so I can't say for sure. Just a heads up.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Getting ready to change the anit freeze in the old girl. Just as expected did not have the right tools . Looking for the size of the socket to get the drain plug out? Believe it might be 19mm. thanks guys
    Dave

Do not use the drain plug you will brake it disconnect the hose

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Do not use the drain plug you will brake it disconnect the hose
    with the gentlemen above ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Please! Do not try and remove plug, most are just pressed into radiator! It’s a pain to get to lower hose, but better than having the plug twist off! Had a 2010 RT and ran into this issue. Since i twisted mine off and it was just a little more work, removed radiator and had the plug soldered in and never had an issue again! Good luck.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The service manual for the 2014 RT says to cut the hose clamp on the right side radiator and pull the hose loose to drain the system. If the factory doesn't want you to remove the plug you can rest assured you should not remove the plug!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The service manual for the 2013 says to "Remove the drain plug from the radiator". Nothing about cutting any of the hose clamps.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    The service manual for the 2013 says to "Remove the drain plug from the radiator". Nothing about cutting any of the hose clamps.
    I missed seeing that the OP has a 2013 RT. BRP changed the instructions and radiator design since there were so many failures with the drain plug breaking the radiator tank. The radiators were changed in 2014 with the change to the 1330 engine. I just looked at the parts list for the 2013 RT. The radiator hose is clamped with an Oetiker gear clamp so removing it should be a piece of cake. They changed the clamps in 2014 also.

Fire34, play it safe and remove the hose. Do not take the plug out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)