Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I got some good info form some of these same people when I started. Here they, as short as I can make them...
    + Loose hands and arms. The steering reacts to every input.
    + Press down HARD on the outside board/peg and lean into the turns.
    + It will take 1,000 miles before you get used to it. Gotta rewire those synapsis.
    + It will take another 1,00 miles before you feel that you are in control. Synapsis rewired.
    + Do not do any handling mods until after that 2,000 mile mark. I got this from Bajaron.
    + Do one mod at a time so you know what they do for the bike.
    + I did front car tires first and put another 1,000 on before adding Ron's sway bar.
    + Stay tuned to this forum and you will learn enough to do your own maintenance.
    + Go forth and enjoy.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    No kidding! I normally keep about 19# in my stock Kendas. When I went in for my 3k mile service a few weeks ago, they put 21# in the front tires. I could barely keep it on the road on the way home. Needless to say, they now have 18.5-19# in them.

I mostly agree, Mike. I'm just saying that the tires probably aren't worn out and probably aren't causing the issues with only a year on the bike. Guess I should have asked how many miles are on it, too.

FWIW, I've got 3k miles on my bike and am just about to order new front tires. Either V'steins or Federals. My front Kendas aren't even close to being worn out but I ride aggressively and.......well, I don't have to tell you, do I?
    I'm glad you " mostly agree with my post " ..... New Kenda's have defects, and even if they WEREN'T defective when New, doesn't mean they are NOT the issue .... Quite a few folks here have reported " BELT SEPARATION " early on in their mileage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have a slightly different story with the OEM Kenda tires. I have now owned 7 different Spyders.

I find that the OEM Front tires, consistently last me for 15k to 20K miles. I usually get 15K miles out of the REAR tire. The only exception was the 2014 RT which came with a new version. They were a softer rubber. I only got 8K out of the rear and 14K out of the fronts.

I currently have 13K on the 2019 F3. That will get a new tire in a couple weeks. When I replaced tires on the last two (2014 and 2011), they got new "darkside" tires. The jury is out because both were traded off before they wore out. 10K and and 15K when they were traded off.

My 2019 will get "darkside" tires. And then I can start the testing all over again. In over 175,000 assorted miles on the Kenda's, I have NEVER had a performance issue or a failure. They are NOT as good as "darkside" tires...but IMO, they are ok for OEM.

What is a darkside tire?

Spyder Garage

Yep, as said already, it takes about 1000 miles to get more comfortable. I came from two wheels and my first ride of 15 miles were grueling and I thought I had made a big mistake in buying the RTL. I listened to the advice here - specifically the deathgrip - and it wasn’t too long before I got comfortable. I did need to replace my sway bar with a Baja Ron bar and that helped. But the biggest thing was just time behind the handlebars and stop thinking it should react like a two wheeler.

I now cruise down the freeway at 70mph with some pretty strong crosswinds and I rarely bat an eye. You just need some time.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    What is a darkside tire?
    This term was coined when folks began using Auto tires on TWO wheel motorcycles ..... IMHO it doesn't really apply to Spyders since they come from the Factory with Auto tires ..... yes they state on the sidewall of the Kenda tires ... " for SPECIAL motorcycle use Only " but this is for claimed LEGAL purposes ( which is Hooey - H.D. has Dunlop tires from the factory ).... All Spyders past and present come equipped with DOT specified " J " type rims / wheels, according to Fed DOT rules this is auto type rim / wheel ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually if the spyder still has OEM - Kenda tires it could very well be the tires ..... " new " means nothing when it comes to Kenda tires .... this brand has the worst " Defective tire " record of any tire manufacturer I have ever known ..... Mike
    You've obviously never used Metzeler ... <G>

I'll qualify that. They had some serious quality issues when they moved production to Argentina. Not sure if things have improved ... I haven't run them since these cracked all to hell with a thousand miles on them ...

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post
    Another problem I don't see mentioned is ROAD SURFACE! The roads in MANY areas in this country are engineered to allow rain water to run off to the sides so they are crowned or canted and this causes WANDERING to some extent. A person tends to fight wandering and when the Spyder does so it's a bit disconcerting for sure. I experienced this frequently on the Rural roads of SW Missouri--64836.......
    One advantage to running a sidecar rig. You can adjust the alignment to compensate for whatever the average crown is for your area.

....It took me maybe 10 miles to feel 90% comfortable and to lose my preconceived fears of 3 wheels, due to untold miles of touring and riding motorcycles.....

Still haven't gotten "comfortable" on my Ural, and I figure that's a good thing. It works in strange and mysterious ways. <G>
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display - extra '/quote' delimiter. ;-)
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

change the music????
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the helpful input guys

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Better tires and the Bajaron HD sway bar are both positive mods/additions. I did Federals and a couple weeks later the sway bar, and both were noticeable incremental improvements.
    ++ on both the mods. I am still on the original tires. Being - um - frugal, I will wear out the current tires. I live in the Ozarks, not much of a straight road around here. After I got very acquainted with the RTL's idiosyncrasies, I got the sway bar. Stopped the feeling that the trike was trying to throw me off to the outside on curves.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Remember Kenda roots are in bicycle tires. Our 2005 29' 5th wheel came with Kenda LT235/85R16E china bombs and in the first year they gave me 110 each to remove and destroy all five tires because of high failure rate.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Probably not a tire issue on a year old bike but once your tires wear out (or maybe before they do), a set of car tires is supposed to be the bees knees.
    I'll take exception to that assertion. I had my RT laser aligned by Squared Away at Spyderfest in 2016. I had just over 3000 miles on it. I immediately took it out for a test ryde on the local Interstate. The bike pulled to the right so I went back and had Joe double check the alignment. It was dead on. I continued to ride it for another 10k miles, always fighting the constant pull to the right. Finally, at 13k miles at the start of the 2017 season I'd had enough and replaced the Kendas with Continental Pro Contis. The pull to the right disappeared right off and has not returned in 20k miles since. So I'm in the camp with Mike that from the factory the Kendas can be a problem. Now, in contrast, the Kendas on my 2013 RT were wearing and tracking nicely at 25k miles when I sold it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Here are the balance weights on the OEM Kendas! The rear Kenda has a lot of balance weights on it also. The Federal up front have no weights and run smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Cool Spyder RTL wobble cure

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Don't hang me but I test drove one last year kinda liked it so bought a 2020 RTL in January
    I finally got to put several miles on it today My first impression is
    IT WOBBLES DOWN THE ROAD seems like I am fighting it to stay in a straight line
    anyone else think this
    I picked up a new Spyder RTL in June of this year and what you are describing is exactly what I was very concerned about. I talked to a guy that had an pre-2020 Spyder RT and we started talking about this issue. He promptly informed me that you must get a laser alignment done or the problem will never go away. The factory only does a frame alignment which does not align the wheels correctly. I started doing some research and found that all Spyders from Can-Am are are out of alignment from the factory. So I demanded from the selling dealer that I wanted a correct alignment. Incidentally, the drive belt sat right on the inner flange. They scheduled me and and did the laser alignment..The mechanic wrote on the shop ticket.."Alignment is spot on". Low and behold, now my RTL tracks straight down the road. Incidentally, the drive belt on my unit now sits about 1/8 inch off the inner wheel flange. There some dealers that will do a laser alignment before they deliver a new Spyder but most don't. All dealers should but they figure that's an extra cost they don't want to absorb. Your dealer might not even do laser alignments but you should ask and if they do demand they do it. If they don't find someone that does and get it done even if you have to pay out of pocket. Can-Am now even recommends it be done. Makes one wonder for the money they sell this machine for why don't they do it. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Bombardier should be sued for putting on such junk tires!! High dollar machine and junk tires.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Olddude39 View Post
    Bombardier should be sued for putting on such junk tires!! High dollar machine and junk tires.
    Keep in mind that when the Spyder was introduced in 2007 no one knew how many would be sold. BRP had to search for a manufacturer who would supply tires made specifically for the Spyder. I'm guessing Kenda was the only one willing to take the gamble back then. You know the old adage, "Beggars can't be choosy!" Look back through some of my previous posts about tires to see what the main reason is, I believe, that BRP never installed car tires as OEM.

Junk is an excessively harsh term to use. The fronts generally have been fairly decent tires providing decent tread wear but with a somewhat high percentage of defective ones. It's a good question why BRP and Kenda haven't done more to give the rears better tread life. They're not the best tires by any means, but they aren't junk tires either. If they were there would have been many lawsuits already in the past 14 years.

Oh, and a point of clarification. The company is BRP, not Bombardier. BRP was the recreational products division of Bombardier years ago but was sold off as it's own company. Bombardier makes jets and trains.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

New rider. I happens to all of us when we first start riding one. Took be about 300 miles to go from 2 to 3 wheels and ride in a straight line. Like most are saying, don't fight it.
    2020 RT , Chalk White