Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to my Spyder & it wobbles down the road! Ideas?

Don't hang me but I test drove one last year kinda liked it so bought a 2020 RTL in January
    I finally got to put several miles on it today My first impression is
    IT WOBBLES DOWN THE ROAD seems like I am fighting it to stay in a straight line
    anyone else think this

Spyder Garage

Probably needs alignment or you are trying to 'steer' instead of a light touch to 'guide' it. Also look into a sway bar & tire upgrades. Worlds of difference over stock!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

and on your new Spyder.

A common thing to those new to riding the

The suggestion above of over-controlling is a good one. A light grip, no white knuckles, is recommended. I used to tell people to pretend there is an egg between the grip and your hands. DON'T BREAK THE EGG. A gentle push/pull on the bars will usually correct it. The spyder is very responsive to even the smallest inputs.

Another possibility is mis alignment or bad tires. Rare, but it happens.

Here is a good read:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-10-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input

Spyder Garage

What Ray and AR have said is spot on. While you may not want to try it right now, if your Spyder is properly aligned and you go tooling down the road you should be able to lift your mitts off the bars and it will track like an arrow shot from a crossbow. Be absolutely certain that your front tires are inflated as close to identical and at absolute worst not more than 1/2 lb different from each other.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

DON'T FIGHT IT!!

Spyders have 2 wheels up front, so there's always going to be waaayyy more steering feedback than on a motorcycle with only one wheel up front, or an auto that's 3 times heavier on much the same sized front tire footprint! Just relax your grip on the handlebars, drop your elbows & shoulders down & back, and gently GUIDE your Spyder down the road! Look waaay out ahead and plan where you want to go, then gently follow that path without fighting or 'micro-managing' the close in steering in response to the little bumps & wobbles - just gently guide your Spyder along that path & ignore the minor steering feedback caused by having two sets of tire footprints up front!

Even then it'll probably take some miles to get used to it, they are very different to a 2 wheeled motorcycle in thisrespect (& others!) so if you have extensive motorcycle experience, it might take some hundreds of miles (or even maybe a thousand or so!) of saddle time to overcome the ingrained responses & your 'feel' expectations, but once you do, WOOHEEE, then you'll really start to enjoy the Miles of Smiles most of us rave about! If you don't have that extensive experience on a 2 wheeler, you've just gotta put in the saddle time to learn the limits & feel there too! So get some more gentle & relaxed miles under your belt & come back to tell us how your going & if it's become any better yet.

That said, while the latest versions haven't had quite the same degree of concern, earlier Spyders especially were renowned for leaving the factory AND dealers with APPALLING wheel alignment; and the OE spec Kenda tires rate pretty much lower than a piss on a dusty road, so if relaxing your grip & gently guiding rather than fighting it doesn't improve things for you, consider getting a proper wheel alignment from someone who knows what they are doing (like Squared Away, altho they are having an 'alignment break' atm while touring & running intro/demo rides for BRP) - generally, & sadly, getting a good laser alignment will mean going somewhere OTHER than your dealer! And once you've got a good alignment done, you can fit new 'real' auto tires, up front especially, and maybe even upgrade the swaybar & endlinks with BajaRon's significantly improved version - 'real' tires (run at about 16-18 psi as appropriate for the lighter loading) plus a good swaybar with solid endlinks insread of the OE 'floppy Cheese-stick' bar with flexible & dodgy OE placcy links will significantly improve your ride & handling even further beyond the improvements gained thru getting the wheels aligned properly & learning to relax & gently guide your Spyder rather than trying to muscle it along!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What others have said about not fighting the steering. If there's a cross wind, YOU should move, not the bike. Unless you're in the twisties, resting your hands on the grips works wonders. Probably not a tire issue on a year old bike but once your tires wear out (or maybe before they do), a set of car tires is supposed to be the bees knees. I only have about 3k miles on my bike but car tires will be in my future come spring.

Spyder Garage

You say to put “several miles” on it today. IMHO that’s barely enough saddle time to get the engine up to temp.

As others have mentioned already, a very light touch is all that’s required to control your Ryker. Normally when I ride I just rest my left hand on the handle bars. The only reason I even grip the right bar is to hold the throttle open.

I think you’ll find the more time you put in the saddle the more you’ll learn to feel what the bike is telling you and the more confident you’ll become in it’s handling characteristics.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Also check air pressure in the tires, if too much air it over steers real easy.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    What others have said about not fighting the steering. If there's a cross wind, YOU should move, not the bike. Unless you're in the twisties, resting your hands on the grips works wonders. Probably not a tire issue on a year old bike but once your tires wear out (or maybe before they do), a set of car tires is supposed to be the bees knees. I only have about 3k miles on my bike but car tires will be in my future come spring.
    Actually if the spyder still has OEM - Kenda tires it could very well be the tires ..... " new " means nothing when it comes to Kenda tires .... this brand has the worst " Defective tire " record of any tire manufacturer I have ever known ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Take this advice/ opinion with a grain of Salt as I just got my new 2021 RT SE6 last Saturday, 3-6-21 and have put only 250 or so miles on it so far, mostly on Rural country roads, with a bit of interstate thrown in for the fun of it. I am still breaking the 'Bike' in and taking it easy.

I have been riding motorcycles since 1962 when I was 15 1/2 and got my permit and have never been without a bike in that entire time, having just sold my brand new Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports a few weeks ago and it was number 88.

I have raced semi-Pro on every kind of Track, raced for years in the Southern Calif deserts, foothills and mountains and even BAJA, Mexico and even Trials and finally apropos to this handling discussion, I find that the Spyder responds just like the 3 wheel ATV's to body movement and weight distribution where leaning is important. To some extent, 4 wheel ATV's require the same thinking to ride quickly. I'm 'talking' direction changes at high speed, in the dirt on racing 3 wheelers and quads. I have found the same applies to the Spyder.

Another problem I don't see mentioned is ROAD SURFACE! The roads in MANY areas in this country are engineered to allow rain water to run off to the sides so they are crowned or canted and this causes WANDERING to some extent. A person tends to fight wandering and when the Spyder does so it's a bit disconcerting for sure. I experienced this frequently on the Rural roads of SW Missouri--64836.

Conversely, on a nice, flat and newer section of Highway or especially on an Interstate, the Spyder tracks very easily and with the cruise control on and the hands just very lightly resting on the handlebars, the ride is SO very smooth and true.

The SAGE advice you have been given here is spot on in my new and very humble experience but I'm sure it will all come together for you soon.

Someone told me on the Motorcycle Forum where I am a Moderator that a Spyder was hard to ride and scary but after I watched a LOT of Youtube Videos, I was convinced otherwise! The best one I saw was when a Spyder rider addressed the supposed difficulty by riding around in a parking lot, at barely walking speeds, just barely using the throttle, doing circle 8's, with the ease of a Child on a Tricycle. The power steering makes this possible.

It took me maybe 10 miles to feel 90% comfortable and to lose my preconceived fears of 3 wheels, due to untold miles of touring and riding motorcycles.

Have fun and don't over think everything. There are classes available!

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

If my spyder sits for a few weeks, when I first head out I can feel the flat spots on the tires until the air inside the tires heats up and expands. I stay in town on 45 mph roads for about 10 miles before hitting highway speeds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Also check air pressure in the tires, if too much air it over steers real easy.
    No kidding! I normally keep about 19# in my stock Kendas. When I went in for my 3k mile service a few weeks ago, they put 21# in the front tires. I could barely keep it on the road on the way home. Needless to say, they now have 18.5-19# in them.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually if the spyder still has OEM - Kenda tires it could very well be the tires ..... " new " means nothing when it comes to Kenda tires .... this brand has the worst " Defective tire " record of any tire manufacturer I have ever known ..... Mike
    I mostly agree, Mike. I'm just saying that the tires probably aren't worn out and probably aren't causing the issues with only a year on the bike. Guess I should have asked how many miles are on it, too.

FWIW, I've got 3k miles on my bike and am just about to order new front tires. Either V'steins or Federals. My front Kendas aren't even close to being worn out but I ride aggressively and.......well, I don't have to tell you, do I?

Spyder Garage

What car tires do you guys suggest and what PSI

Spyder Garage

I'm coming late to the party, but I have a lot of experience with a wobbling Spyder.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...+good+handling

Easiest to check first is the tire pressure. If the front tire pressures are different from each other, it will cause the Spyder to wobble.
    Also, if the tire pressure is too high, the contact patch rounds out. The Spyder sits up "on the balls if it's feet" so to speak. If the pressure is too low, the contact patch flattens out and the Spyder is difficult to turn. The pressure should be between 17 and 21 PSI, but you might find a little higher or a little lower may work for you. A little experimenting with pressure may be in order.
    If none of the above works for you, I'd check the alignment.
    Many, many of the early Spyders came from the factory mis-aligned, and the Spyder felt like it was bouncing all over the road.
    With time, it seems BRP has gotten far better at aligning the Spyders from the factory.
    You may have something mechanically wrong with your bike. This could be a premature failure of the tires, or the suspension system.
    In order, I'd suggest:
    1) Tire Pressures
    2) Alignment
    3) Mechanical Components (tires, suspension)

Good Luck. Keep us posted.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Search for tires on the forum and be prepared to do lots of reading!

I threw away the Kendas at 1k. Made from recycled water bottles!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    I run 16.5 in my Federal Formoza AZ01s. I have asked Federal for an inflation chart for this tire, however have not yet heard back from them.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Give it some time. It took me 1000 miles to be at peace with my RT. Another 1000 to learn how to control it efficiently. Somewhere around 3000, I found myself using only the rear brake on my Quad -- transformation complete. After 57 years on two wheels, there were things and feelings I had to unlearn. Over 6000 miles now and I can recognize the special uniqueness of this vehicle. Be patient, it's worth it.

One of the 'two wheel feelings' is always being at the center of gravity, so all the forces go directly down through the wheels. No side-to-side forces like the Spyder. When the Spyder tips, following the road irregularities, it feels like you're turning and you react by pushing on the bars. Then you are turning and your body experiences a new and different force than you ever felt on a motorcycle. At first, I was jinking all over the road, reacting to non-motorcycle force 'feelings'. My reactions were subconscious, honestly earned motorcycling skills.

You'll get it -- it just takes time. Few people will take as long as I took to acclimate.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Alignment
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Easiest to check first is the tire pressure. If the front tire pressure is different, it will cause the Spyder to wobble.
    A good way to make sure both front tires are at the same pressure is to use this: https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=54.

DF-2-500x500.jpg

JT Thornton shows another version without the dial gauge but it comes up not in stock. It looks kind of like JT isn't real active in the Spyder accessory business now.

I made one like it myself. It works really great. It's surprising how little difference in pressure between the two tires can affect handling.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

&

Let the smiles and miles begin!

Alignment!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    The Vredestein Q-5 isn't the lowest price tire, but it is the best tire for Spyders in Wet, Dry, Comfort etc. and it actually earned a Winter rating ..... this matters because although we don't ride in the snow .... the Winter rating rating means it will perform well at colder road temps. ..... lots of folks here attest to how good they are ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a slightly different story with the OEM Kenda tires. I have now owned 7 different Spyders.

I find that the OEM Front tires, consistently last me for 15k to 20K miles. I usually get 15K miles out of the REAR tire. The only exception was the 2014 RT which came with a new version. They were a softer rubber. I only got 8K out of the rear and 14K out of the fronts.

I currently have 13K on the 2019 F3. That will get a new tire in a couple weeks. When I replaced tires on the last two (2014 and 2011), they got new "darkside" tires. The jury is out because both were traded off before they wore out. 10K and and 15K when they were traded off.

My 2019 will get "darkside" tires. And then I can start the testing all over again. In over 175,000 assorted miles on the Kenda's, I have NEVER had a performance issue or a failure. They are NOT as good as "darkside" tires...but IMO, they are ok for OEM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Most of the above mentioned the many ways a Spyder could be not tracking correctly, but the reason steering on Spyders is so quick is that they have electrically assisted power steering. Compared with other bikes, and especially trikes that don't have a rake kit, this makes the Spyder feel very twitchy until the pilot gets used to it. The first thing to do, as mentioned above, if to make sure the tire pressure is the same in the front wheels. The second thing to do also is recommended above, put miles on the trike. Get used to the way it handles. After that you may want to go down the mod/upgrade route. I recommend one thing at the time. I've known people that added mods that fixed a problem, then added more that made it worse again. More than one mod at a time and you won't know what one worked or why.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    Most of the above mentioned the many ways a Spyder could be not tracking correctly, but the reason steering on Spyders is so quick is that they have electrically assisted power steering. Compared with other bikes, and especially trikes that don't have a rake kit, this makes the Spyder feel very twitchy until the pilot gets used to it. The first thing to do, as mentioned above, if to make sure the tire pressure is the same in the front wheels. The second thing to do also is recommended above, put miles on the trike. Get used to the way it handles. After that you may want to go down the mod/upgrade route. I recommend one thing at the time. I've known people that added mods that fixed a problem, then added more that made it worse again. More than one mod at a time and you won't know what one worked or why.
    Better tires and the Bajaron HD sway bar are both positive mods/additions. I did Federals and a couple weeks later the sway bar, and both were noticeable incremental improvements.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.