Spyder Garage

Default My own Ryker Shifter Mod

I know at least one of the major aftermarket suppliers are planning to release a very similar mod within the next few months. However, my wife was struggling to shift her new Ryker and I needed a project - so here’s a few photos of my first Ryker mod to make it more comfortable for her. Most of the parts were sourced from Amazon with some misc. nuts & bolts and some 3/8 steel rod from our local hardware. I also used a very inexpensive bender from Amazon. I think I have less than $50 in the shifter - with enough parts leftover to build another. The bender was around $35. Anyway, it was a fun reason to do a little welding and fabrication.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Nice work.

Spyder Garage

Nice job

Spyder Garage

Nicely done!

I'm actually considering buying a small welder because I could really put it to use. This would be high on my list. I used to TIG and stick weld at one of my old jobs, but maybe I should invest in a small MIG welder....hmmm

Spyder Garage

Curious what would you charge for one

Spyder Garage

I love the suicide shifter look of this.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Very nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!! .... I'm not really familiar with the Ryker, and it appears you have a shifter on each side ....ie. two shifters ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JSRT View Post
    I know at least one of the major aftermarket suppliers are planning to release a very similar mod within the next few months
    Slingmods is taking pre-orders for something almost exactly like this, but theirs is going to run like $179.00 + tax. I was seriously thinking of ordering one. Unfortunately, I'm no where near as talented as you.

Nice job.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Looks way better than factory!

Stays tight to the tank when you shift? I'm assUming you used pivoting ball heads on the arm.

Put me down for one. <G>

(If nothing else, this should give the "pros" incentive to get theirs on the market, eh.)
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I just fabricated this last evening so let me have the Mrs. field test it for a while. If I decide to offer it for others, I'll post it here! Thanks for all the positive comments!
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Not to burst anyones bubble but on the Slingmods install video they mention that it was designed by two outside companies and there is a patent pending (so they say)

Spyder Garage

I would also like to get one of these from you if you decide to make them. My wife's Ryker is identical to your wife's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Not to burst anyones bubble but on the Slingmods install video they mention that it was designed by two outside companies and there is a patent pending (so they say)
    I use to hear that a patent cost a minimum of around 40K. Do you really thing someone would make money by a patent on a one to two hundred dollar limited market item?

A little google'ing:

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/04/0...o%20%243%2C000.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I use to hear that a patent cost a minimum of around 40K. Do you really thing someone would make money by a patent on a one to two hundred dollar limited market item?

A little google'ing:

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/04/0...o%20%243%2C000.
    Not necessarily. There are three types of patents, utility, design, and plant patents. They all have different requirements and different costs. I myself hold 5 design patents. Because I did some of the work myself, researching the US government patent database to ensure that my products doesnt already exist or have a patent, it reduced the costs considerably because you're not paying someone else to do that tedious work. Also, using a patent attorney is very expensive, that's the largest part of the cost, I didn't. I used a patent agent who took care of the filings and also had the design drawings of each of my products done & submitted. The US patent filing fees are very minimal. My total costs per patent, including the drafting & filing fee's were $2800 per patent.

When I originally started looking for help with my patents, I went to several different patent attorneys. They quoted me anywhere from $13,000 to $20,000 per patent. I'm probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I found a way to get it done for considerably less, I know others can and also do. The guy I used started a business in 2007 doing this and made a very lucrative living doing so. He has since retired and sold his company to some patent attorneys who charge the usual exorbitant fee's. The bottom line is that there are ways to get it done for a lot less.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JSRT View Post
    I know at least one of the major aftermarket suppliers are planning to release a very similar mod within the next few months. However, my wife was struggling to shift her new Ryker and I needed a project - so here’s a few photos of my first Ryker mod to make it more comfortable for her. Most of the parts were sourced from Amazon with some misc. nuts & bolts and some 3/8 steel rod from our local hardware. I also used a very inexpensive bender from Amazon. I think I have less than $50 in the shifter - with enough parts leftover to build another. The bender was around $35. Anyway, it was a fun reason to do a little welding and fabrication.
    JSRT great job. If you don't mind posting links to parts purchased and some instructions that would be great. If too much trouble no problem...

Spyder Garage

Awesome, hope it works as good as looks.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

WOW! Put me down for one also...the $180 that Slingmods is charging is expensive. I am short and am unable to reach the reverse too. Or if you do not want to hassle of selling these, could you send specifications as my hubby is like you and can build anything...best hubby to have.

Spyder Garage

I posted a new DIY thread - titled “Build your own Ryker shifter” - with additional photos and some basic instructions for those who would like to build their own.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...everse-Shifter
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added DIY Link
    2022 RT-L , Silver